collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Farmer got confrontational with me while on state land  (Read 17336 times)

Offline Nwgunner

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF Sportsmans Alliance
Farmer got confrontational with me while on state land
« on: May 04, 2019, 08:52:33 PM »
  I was out sighting in my new gun today.  I was on state land, verified by both onyx and Benton county GIS. I was finished and getting packed up when a truck pulled up behind my vehicle. I see a guy snap a pic of my license plate and walk toward me so I start approach him. 
  The interaction begins with a simple how's it going and I reply with very good.  Then a response of a raised voice and 3 things he says I'm doing wrong.  1.  I'm on private property and trespassing.  2.  IM in his winter wheat and damaging it.  3.  IM shooting off a county rd. ( I was 150 ft. off the rd.)  I calmly respond that I have a map showing IM on state land and he goes absolutely ballistic.  He is now shouting/screaming and swearing at me at a distance of 10 ft.  I listen calmly and try and interject, telling him I'm being respectful of the property and wheat. ( walking between rows, setting up my table in an area of dirt only, picking up all brass and trash).  He acknowledges this is state land but he has a lease.  He tells me to pack my stuff and go, but with many other swear words and threats.  So I do, I turn and start packing.  He still going at me screaming, cussing, and bluff charging me from the roadway. He says he's going to call the sheriff and I tell him please. I would love to talk to the sheriff.  He sees I'm packing and leaving so he goes up the road and watches me.
  I decide to call the sheriff and explain everything.  The Deputy did not have a clear cut resolution but told me to verify the property on GIS and not ONYX.  He says he will look into it and up to this point I have not heard back. 
  I do not know if IM in the wrong or right. I will accept a trespass ticket if IM wrong.  This guy however completely went off the deep end.  I told the sheriff that I am worried that in the future this guy might run into someone that may not be as tolerant of his antics as I was.  I would like to reach out to DNR if this guy is intimidating the public off the land when we have a right to be there, if we do have that right. 
Sorry for the long post but I had to get that off my chest.  I accept any criticism levied if I was not supposed to be there...

Offline cbond3318

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
Re: Farmer got confrontational with me while on state land
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 09:11:25 PM »
I’m Interested in what you find out on this. I personally have steered clear of public land that is leased for agriculture for this reason. Figuring if I was in someone’s crop, eventually a confrontation would come and I don’t have the lease in hand to review so I wouldn’t have an answer other than to take their word for it and leave.

Sorry it was confrontational but you probably caught the wrath for the dozen D Bags that weren’t so conscientious before you.
Just tend your own and live.

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 09:20:29 PM »
Keep doing what you're doing and don't let any farmer or rancher bully you off state land they lease. You have every right to use that land as long as you don't damage the crops and use it in a safe manner.

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 09:27:26 PM »
I would’ve whipped out my phone and recorded him ranting and raving
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 09:27:40 PM »
TAG

I know grazing leases you have the right to access, dry land ag leases and irrigated leases I'm not so sure, hopefully someone knowing will chime in soon with a source. 

"not for recreational use"

Offline dreamunelk

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 09:35:55 PM »
Definitely contact DNR.  Both locally and Olympia.  Consider an email to document the issue. 

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 09:59:06 PM »
Call the regional DNR Manager.

Explain the situation.

I've been harrassed while on DNR land 3 times.

The first time, when I got back I called the regional DNR manager.   He assure me that I was doing nothing illegal.   Gave me his cell phone and told me to call if I ever got hassled on DNR land again.

Since then, I have no problem calling the Sherriff myself if one of them hassles me.

They lease the land for agriculture, but it is still state land that we are allowed on.   

Don't take my word.
Call the regional DNR manager.
You'll feel much better..
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline RockChuck

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2019, 10:14:27 PM »
Sorry you had to deal with that, Was this around Tri cities? I’m Courious where at as I do some shooting in different spots and don’t need the hassle either!

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2019, 10:23:56 PM »
State DNR land is open for recreational use, period. If the person leasing it for agricultural purposes doesn't like it, they need to take it up with the DNR. In some cases the DNR will allow them to close it to recreational use. But if it were, it would need to be posted. And obviously in this situation the guy was full of it, since the first thing he did was to lie and say you were on private land. I would have got a photo of HIS license plate and turned him in to the DNR.

Offline swordtine

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Tracker
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2019, 10:26:42 PM »
State DNR land is open for recreational use, period. If the person leasing it for agricultural purposes doesn't like it, they need to take it up with the DNR. In some cases the DNR will allow them to close it to recreational use. But if it were, it would need to be posted. And obviously in this situation the guy was full of it, since the first thing he did was to lie and say you were on private land. I would have got a photo of HIS license plate and turned him in to the DNR.

Exactly ^

Besides, not like conventional winter wheat is a huge cash crop to begin with...! You walking out there and shooting a little makes absolutely no difference to his bottom line. He was just being an idiot.
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2019, 10:33:11 PM »
Just curious. Did you have your discover Pass?
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline Nwgunner

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF Sportsmans Alliance
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2019, 10:41:48 PM »
  Thanks for the info and support huntwa.  I talked with a friend of mine whose dad leases state land and they do just as Bobcat said.  While cows are on the property, (and only when cows are present)  they are allowed to post it as no shooting.   The property is still open for public use but no shooting.  Most important is it has to be posted as such. 
  This land does not have a single sign on it.
  I am going to pursue this further as I believe this guy is a danger to further recreational users.  DNR and a formal complaint at the sheriffs office.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2019, 10:51:32 PM »
Apologize to no one.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Online trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2019, 10:54:35 PM »
If I lived by you, I'd try and get as many friends as I know to go back out to where you were and target shoot all day! guys that take advantage of public leased land need an Azz kicking.  Such bs
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2019, 11:04:14 PM »
So I did some digging and found some interesting things.

Here is the actual state law verbatim:

All state lands hereafter leased for grazing or agricultural purposes shall be open and available to the public for purposes of hunting and fishing, and for nonconsumptive wildlife activities, as defined by the board of natural resources, unless closed to public entry because of fire hazard or unless the department gives prior written approval and the area is lawfully posted by lessee to prohibit hunting and fishing, and nonconsumptive wildlife activities, thereon in order to prevent damage to crops or other land cover, to improvements on the land, to livestock, to the lessee, or to the general public, or closure is necessary to avoid undue interference with carrying forward a departmental or agency program. In the event any such lands are so posted it shall be unlawful for any person to hunt or fish, or pursue nonconsumptive wildlife activities, on any such posted lands. Such lands shall not be open and available for wildlife activities when access could endanger crops on the land or when access could endanger the person accessing the land.

The department shall insert the provisions of this section in all new grazing and agricultural leases.

Nowhere in the law or the lease does it say the public has access however it sees fit, it says the public is allowed to hunt, fish, or other nonconsumputive wildlife activities. Now I also say that I know of no law/reg that says a leasee can prohibit someone who is not hunting, fishing, etc from accessing the leased lands. My guess is the state legislature wanted to secure the ability to hunt, fish, etc on leased lands.

So what to do: Personally, I would contact DNR and give them a heads up on this farmer, but I would also find another place to shoot. If you go out there and shoot again and lets say you happen to step on some wheat the farmer could pursue the charge of damaging crops on DNR leased land which is a misdemeanor, not saying you would get convicted but from your story it sounds like something he would do. It's just up to you, my guess is this won't be the last time the farmer goes nutso because someone is on his lease.  :twocents:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal