collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pointers for new resident  (Read 3274 times)

Offline Tntjames

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
    • https://www.facebook.com/terry.james.9081
Pointers for new resident
« on: May 09, 2019, 01:05:24 PM »
Wondering if anyone can help me out. Lifelong archery elk hunter and I just moved to Washington. Have no idea where to go, what strategy to use and how to begin figuring out a plan for this years archery elk hunt. Someone mentioned hunting on Weyerhauser land - Coweeman GMU - but don't know how to get the permits. Do you buy a tag and access from WH or do you have to draw first and then buy access? Someone else said to apply for one half of the state and hunt spike/cow in the other half (can't remember which is which). Planning on connecting with DFW to get some direction but thought I'd ask here. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Pointers for new resident
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 01:27:53 PM »
Check out the regulations, they outline it.  In general, you have to pick your weapon type and half of the state to hunt during the general hunt.  Thus, you can hunt West Archery for example.  There are also permit (draw) hunts and the deadline is coming up.  There are plenty of threads active now on that if you want to have fun.  Overall, the odds are very low for the good hunts but it is relatively cheap ($13) once you buy your elk tag.

The other option is to get on I-90 until get out of Washington.

Offline full choke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 01:35:12 PM »
Wondering if anyone can help me out. Lifelong archery elk hunter and I just moved to Washington. Have no idea where to go, what strategy to use and how to begin figuring out a plan for this years archery elk hunt. Someone mentioned hunting on Weyerhauser land - Coweeman GMU - but don't know how to get the permits. Do you buy a tag and access from WH or do you have to draw first and then buy access? Someone else said to apply for one half of the state and hunt spike/cow in the other half (can't remember which is which). Planning on connecting with DFW to get some direction but thought I'd ask here. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Essentially- you have to choose a weapon type (archery, or muzzleloader, or modern firearm), and you have to pick one side of the state to apply for- eastern or western. Either side provides for different opportunities, you have to decide which you would prefer yourself. You don't get to hunt both sides in the same season, and you don't get to hunt other weapon types in the same season. UNLESS... you draw a multi-season elk tag (too late to try this year), but that is a whole other set of rules. It is all in the regs- hours of enjoyable reading (I suggest drinking while you do it...)

The permits for private timber land are a whole other thread all on it's own- I would use the search function to get some better info.
"If you think our wars over oil are bad, wait until we are fighting over water..."

Offline Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 01:38:00 PM »
It starts at home. Look at what units there are, hunt odds, maps for access, satellite photos. Then pick a few areas to check out. Based on those areas, then come up with a strategy for those specific areas. As for land permits, never bought one myself.

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 07:15:47 PM »
The thing with buying permits from timber companies is that every year lots of land is closed off to access because of fire risk. And they don’t refund the permit cost, so you eat it.

Offline Matth

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 07:45:42 AM »
The thing with buying permits from timber companies is that every year lots of land is closed off to access because of fire risk. And they don’t refund the permit cost, so you eat it.
I've heard this now a few times, that they close permit access on timber lands in washington. I have bought timber company permits on the oregon coast now for 4 years, and have never been locked out.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 07:51:07 AM »
I've heard this now a few times, that they close permit access on timber lands in washington. I have bought timber company permits on the oregon coast now for 4 years, and have never been locked out.
There seems to be a little rain each year by early muzzy season to open it up, but most years they open just in time for archery elk.  Kind of a gamble and need a back up spot if you do the WA permits.

Offline ThurstonCokid

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 09:10:13 PM »
I would save your time and money and stay away from coweeman. The gmu is nothing like it used to be. The main part is deciding weapon and side of the mountains. Gmus starting in 4, 5, and 6 are westside. 1, 2, and 3 is east. Everything is scouting and trips after that! Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bkaech

• Scout
  • Groups: BHA, RMEF, NRA
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 09:42:41 PM »
I wouldn’t buy permits for timber land until you know an area and know you want to hunt there. I would start by getting out this summer close to home, or to places that look decent and look for elk. Decide where you want to hunt then look over the regs for that area. There is lots of state or forest service land that hold elk. Often timberland may be better, but not always, just get out and look around.

Offline msg

• Hunter
    • NA
  • Groups: NA
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 10:53:54 AM »
Stay on Oregon coast, less people and way more elk. Weyerhauser St Helens permit on Wyrecreation.com is 300$ I believe the hoof-rot affects somewhere in the 80 some percent of the elk that are left. Then you have the fire danger issue in early archery. The Oregon coast is a gold mine compared to what is left in SW. WA

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 02:23:21 PM »
There are elk within 30 minutes of your house due east. Get some maps, get out on the roads. Do some walking in the woods. You don't have to go far. If you want a better experience and are in the right shape, find some of the wilderness areas you can hike in to east of your position a bit further. If you want to sit down of a vodka and a cigar, PM me and we can go out in the back yard.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline wannabhntr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 03:00:42 PM »
Go to Idaho or Oregon :chuckle:
"PETA" People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2019, 03:36:39 PM »
TNT, Welcome to Washington and the site :tup:

Its easy to get tags and permits, go to the WDFW website and cruise thru there for ten minutes and you should be able to get setup. If not computer Savvy go to a dealer and purchase tags and licenses there. Apps are by midnight tonight so if that is on the agenda you will need to go ASAP, but its not a big loss if not you can still hunt! :tup:

If a St. Helens weyco permit is in the budget I would go that route all day long. Weyco has never closed for fire danger to my knowledge since the permit system and it would suck to put a bunch of energy into an area your first year and still need B thru Z plans to have a decent hunt. It opens up all the area you will likely be able to cover including several OTC GMUs and yes elk are there, its a shadow of its former glory but there is elk to hunt.

Weyco Permits are relativley easy to acquire for that area VS some others that sell out in minutes, but if your serious I would get an account setup and plan to purchase when they post. A goodle search of weyco recreation should get you to the page and you can setup an account from there and see when permits go on sale. Good luck this season

Offline ljsommer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • New hunter, hard worker.
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2019, 04:44:33 PM »
There are elk within 30 minutes of your house due east. Get some maps, get out on the roads. Do some walking in the woods. You don't have to go far. If you want a better experience and are in the right shape, find some of the wilderness areas you can hike in to east of your position a bit further. If you want to sit down of a vodka and a cigar, PM me and we can go out in the back yard.

I am always looking to sit down with anyone over drinks and cigars, could I get in on this? Too-few cigar fans nowadays ;)

Offline SteelheadTed

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2019, 07:07:39 PM »

I am always looking to sit down with anyone over drinks and cigars, could I get in on this? Too-few cigar fans nowadays ;)

Lets do it, the first HuntWA herf?  I've got Cubans, yum.
I know I've lost it, let me know if you come across it

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1