collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pointers for new resident  (Read 3275 times)

Offline dreamunelk

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Pointers for new resident
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2019, 07:13:59 PM »
TNT
What kind of hunt are you looking for?  There are lots of elk in Washington and many differn't areas to hunt.  I would start visiting different areas.  One of them will get your interest up. 

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2019, 07:47:22 AM »
There are elk within 30 minutes of your house due east. Get some maps, get out on the roads. Do some walking in the woods. You don't have to go far. If you want a better experience and are in the right shape, find some of the wilderness areas you can hike in to east of your position a bit further. If you want to sit down of a vodka and a cigar, PM me and we can go out in the back yard.

I am always looking to sit down with anyone over drinks and cigars, could I get in on this? Too-few cigar fans nowadays ;)

Lets do it, the first HuntWA herf?  I've got Cubans, yum.

If I can see your posts, you're welcome to my cigars and vodka or bourbon anytime. When you're in the area and ready, let me know by PM and I'll get you my address.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2019, 10:19:21 AM »
Wondering if anyone can help me out. Lifelong archery elk hunter and I just moved to Washington. Have no idea where to go, what strategy to use and how to begin figuring out a plan for this years archery elk hunt. Someone mentioned hunting on Weyerhauser land - Coweeman GMU - but don't know how to get the permits. Do you buy a tag and access from WH or do you have to draw first and then buy access? Someone else said to apply for one half of the state and hunt spike/cow in the other half (can't remember which is which). Planning on connecting with DFW to get some direction but thought I'd ask here. Thanks in advance for any advice.
If possible move and/or start applying out of state.  You won’t be able to hunt here with any consistency much longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2019, 10:28:51 AM »
Wondering if anyone can help me out. Lifelong archery elk hunter and I just moved to Washington. Have no idea where to go, what strategy to use and how to begin figuring out a plan for this years archery elk hunt. Someone mentioned hunting on Weyerhauser land - Coweeman GMU - but don't know how to get the permits. Do you buy a tag and access from WH or do you have to draw first and then buy access? Someone else said to apply for one half of the state and hunt spike/cow in the other half (can't remember which is which). Planning on connecting with DFW to get some direction but thought I'd ask here. Thanks in advance for any advice.
If possible move and/or start applying out of state.  You won’t be able to hunt here with any consistency much longer.

There are plenty of elk in the southern Cascades in WA.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2019, 10:38:51 AM »

There are plenty of elk in the southern Cascades in WA.
Sure.Yep.YouBetcha... have you followed the bull permit numbers?  The decrease in archery cow hunting opportunities?

I am not saying it is zero opportunity right now.  But opportunity is decreasing ever year.  Predators aren’t declining.

Several units I have hunted in southern cascades use to be 14 day season for cow/spikes and over 200 bull permits.  Now we are at a 5 day season and single digits.  Change for the worse is coming.  Wolves will be there eventually.  They haven’t showed up in force yet.

@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2019, 11:48:24 AM »
He lives in this area and has asked about elk hunting. There's opportunity very close. I'm not a big fan of a lot of things the DFW has done. But to tell a new hunter there's nothing to hunt here is absolutely incorrect.

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2019, 12:09:25 PM »
True.  I guess I wasn’t being completely fair.  There are some elk but the opportunity today is much less than 10 years ago.

As a lifetime resident I have found the trend depressing and frustrating.

Good luck!

@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2019, 12:21:53 PM »
True.  I guess I wasn’t being completely fair.  There are some elk but the opportunity today is much less than 10 years ago.

As a lifetime resident I have found the trend depressing and frustrating.

Good luck!

I understand your frustration and share it.  :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]