collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Sawtooth Tag  (Read 4355 times)

Offline treeclimber2852

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Sawtooth Tag
« on: May 10, 2019, 10:08:42 AM »
So I was one of the lucky few who was able to buy an A tag this morning...however, my hunting partner was 10 seconds behind me and was SOL.  I'm really bummed right now because we had spent several hours planning and scouting with OnX and Google Earth.  I felt like we had a solid, fun game plan, but now it's all up in the air.  Anyone else get the Sawtooth tag? 

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
Re: Sawtooth Tag
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 10:15:03 AM »
A HUGE congrats treeclimber!  That is an awesome tag mister.
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline lord grizzly

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 10:32:18 AM »
the rush for these tags crack me up. i live an hour from the unit if not a little less depending on where id want to go and i don't even bother. i dont know if its some clever marketing ploy to get traffic to tags or what with F&G but really if they want the tags to be controlled numbers on this they should just make it a draw. i can just about grantee if they did after the first year of everyone realizing it wasn't worth drawing there would be leftovers and anyone wanting one could get one.

its a fun place to bang around but dont go feeling like you won the elk lottery. shoot the first rag horn that gives you a chance...

Offline Cleetiswillfeedus

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 09:06:02 PM »
I got one. Same thing happened to me. Buddy was 4 seconds to late I guess.

Offline BUTTER

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 08:38:43 AM »
I agree with Lord Grizzly. I had the tag 3 years ago before it was really hyped up. It was decent and a fu area to be but is not worth there bs black Friday sale. Be in good shape those mts are huge

Offline 3dvapor

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 08:50:19 AM »
I had the tag last year with a couple guys.  Its some great country to hunt and look at but most of it as perfect as it looks dont hold very many elk or any at all.  Other than the cap on hunters its not any better than the over the counter units that I usually hunt.  On a positive note i still was able to locate and call in several bulls.  Im going back but just to take the family rafting and hiking.

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 11:10:31 PM »
Threads titled “Sawtooth _____” don’t help. Neither does IDFG blasting press releases about it every month or so. My buddy hunted 7 days last year and never heard/saw an elk. Go get em tiger!!
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 07:52:37 AM »
I wish they would just make them controlled hunts. The guys that try for them would take some pressure off the other areas in the draws.

Offline lord grizzly

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2019, 10:27:46 AM »
Threads titled “Sawtooth _____” don’t help. Neither does IDFG blasting press releases about it every month or so. My buddy hunted 7 days last year and never heard/saw an elk. Go get em tiger!!

What people apparently don’t understand is it’s a capped unit for reasons. One is low elk numbers, other is low elk numbers for proximity to Idaho’s population base. Nether is quality. But boy is it a rush to get those tags, tags by the way they raise the cap on this year

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2019, 02:13:28 PM »

What people apparently don’t understand is it’s a capped unit for reasons. One is low elk numbers, other is low elk numbers for proximity to Idaho’s population base. Nether is quality. But boy is it a rush to get those tags, tags by the way they raise the cap on this year

:yeah: getting the tag has become a win in itself for some people. I can’t believe the number of people that put in for some draws that are no better than otc units. But I guess it feels like you won when you see “successful “ even if you only “won” the opportunity for a mediocre hunt. I have seen tags that were otc go draw and you get more applications than there was original hunters when you could just buy a tag. But if I draw a tag I won right? Not always

Offline Crunchy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2019, 02:44:27 PM »
Feel lucky, act lucky, get lucky.  Go shoot a nice bull. 

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2019, 02:52:20 PM »
 Don’t let em get you down treeclimber. It’s not a bad tag (the Selway is a bad tag). I’ve known a few folks over the past few handful of years that tagged out in the Sawtooth, you’ll get er done.
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2019, 03:05:37 PM »
Best of luck to you, Treeclimber.

After all of this feedback, I hope you find a masher.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2019, 03:50:47 PM »
I wasn’t trying to beat up on your hunt at all. Super cool Country and you will have fun and good chance you will get a nice one! It’s not a bad hunt Its good just not better than a lot of areas where you can just buy a tag.I was just ranting on the psychology of more the western state draw permits. Which I am getting sucked into a little bit :chuckle:. I can’t believe the time and money people commit to what looks like average units. Some I am familiar with are ridiculous how many people put in.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2019, 04:18:11 PM »
Some of my guides have hunted that unit a lot, it may not be like some trophy units but it's good hunting, elk are coming back since the wolves started being hunted, there are some decent bulls and more numbers of elk again, congrats and good luck!
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Mtnwalker
[Today at 05:24:30 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 05:23:46 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:12:42 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]