collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Low tech hunting  (Read 3704 times)

Offline savagehunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Longhunter
Low tech hunting
« on: May 10, 2019, 09:39:12 PM »
With all the top end gear I've bought in the last 5 years and being  that it's the off season. I thought I would post a pic of my buddies 2013 buck. He exemplifies where I came from and how we got it done growing up. Now I wouldn't trade all that gear and go back to Jean's and a t shirt but it made me nostalgic for a simpler time

Offline TheStovePipeKid

• They call me MISTER KID!
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • I. Kill. Turkey.
    • TheStovePipeKid
  • Groups: NWTF Annual Member, NRA Extended Pay Lifetime Member
Re: Low tech hunting
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 09:58:55 PM »
It's the beard.
I laugh in the face of Danger. Ha ha ha Danger Face!

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 10:56:25 PM »
Everything that worked then works now!
Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 06:07:36 AM »
There is a part of me that believes that tech was/is a factor in what ruined hunting.    Nice throwback pic.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 06:59:20 AM »
I grew up in NH hunting in jeans, no electronics, cheap binos, cheap boots, shot plenty of deer. Moving out here and experiencing the great NW woods had me change. I rarely wear cotton, need great boots, GPS, good binos. I don't want to get stuck out in these woods without the right gear or because of not having it. I've been lost for a short time out here. It made me take a long look at how to be in the woods from then on.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 07:11:00 AM »
There is a part of me that believes that tech was/is a factor in what ruined hunting.    Nice throwback pic.

+1

Gear overshadows game for many hunters I know.  That's OK, especially if they are making a conscious decision about it and decide that they enjoy engaging with gear more than game.  A lot of folks are muddled in the middle without making that choice, however, and confuse shopping for high priced camo with the act of hunting wild animals in the wild.  And if we seldom get any game, then playing with the gear gives us some enjoyment during the time spent, but it is a poor trade off for me.  YMMV.

I started with iron sights and a recurve bow.  I will admit that I really like having a scope for my old eyes; that a gps can be useful though I don't use one; and that my InReach is the greatest advance in wilderness communications and safety in my lifetime.  But I still like crawling and calling for critters big and small, wearing second hand store wool pants and cheap plaid acrylic shirts because they work.

When I was younger and poorer, in school in California and filling multiple deer tags with my 30-30 open sight carbine, a friend who had all of the latest gadgets, gear, guns, optics and reloads, was amazed that I kept killing deer without all the gear.  He never got a deer during the years I knew him.  I LOVED to go shooting with him and shoot his many guns.

Some people learn faster than others but after all of the gear and research, to move beyond luck we gotta pay some dues with time afield engaging critters first hand, with no tech between us and the game.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 09:24:38 AM by Okanagan »

Offline cbond3318

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 07:31:40 AM »
Awesome pic!!

I guess maybe I am in the middle I suppose. I do take a great deal of pride and satisfaction doing it with/for less. Middle of the road optics, no more cotton but the synthetics are cheap but work great. Old Bushnell second hand range finder I rarely use. 60$ surplus store pack that I’ve carried heavy loads in. Clearance sale boots that work. GPS I never use although I did just get a Garmin watch to pair with my ONX on my cell phone. My teepee shelter is an old rain fly from a tent. Sleep on a 3$ foam pad, stove is a cheapo. Make my own food with the occasional MH or MRE etc.

I’m not sure i’d Say hunting is ruined but highly commercialized and I despise that.
Just tend your own and live.

Offline elkchaser54

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 09:51:15 PM »
All the TV shows and YouTube videos are all just guys selling their hunting souls for gear advertisements.  Thank god those companies help contribute to conservation cause at $300 for plants they are making some money . Any new hunter seeing these videos thinks you have to have the best gear before you can find game, when in actuality to find game you just have to spend time in the woods and learn the outdoors.  In gears defense tho I think synthetic fibers like gore tex are awesome and a lot better then trounching around in wool hahaha.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 09:57:35 PM »
I've got THOUSANDS of dollars in gear.  As good as it gets and I'm not trading any of it for anything! I've done it the hard way. I've suffered in the heat and the cold. I've been wet and miserable. I've fought the headaches and migraines from glassing for hours through low end glass.  I've carried a 6lb sleeping bag and no sleeping pad. I've packed hundreds and hundreds of pounds of meat on a junky old bimart pack frame.  I've had to navigate off mountains after getting turned around with no GPS.  Better gear makes you more effective and I'll argue that to the bitter end  :twocents:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 10:06:54 PM »
I agree with Karl. Better gear does make you a more effective, efficient hunter. But you have to have the basics, skill, and drive to be out there and know how to kill or that gear will just make you look fancy. I've upgraded my gear substantially in the last couple years and it has 100% lead me to better hunts and allowed me to go places and haul meat out of places I previously wouldn't have considered. So I dont think the fancy gear has ruined hunting, it's just made the effective hunters more effective and the ineffective hunters look better.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline elkchaser54

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 12:48:30 AM »
Make ineffective hunters look better  :chuckle:

We all know sitka patterns are slimming on us big guys. Worth the money right there.  Haha

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 05:32:12 AM »
Us?  :chuckle:
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Birdgetter

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 06:24:18 AM »
I've got THOUSANDS of dollars in gear.  As good as it gets and I'm not trading any of it for anything! I've done it the hard way. I've suffered in the heat and the cold. I've been wet and miserable. I've fought the headaches and migraines from glassing for hours through low end glass.  I've carried a 6lb sleeping bag and no sleeping pad. I've packed hundreds and hundreds of pounds of meat on a junky old bimart pack frame.  I've had to navigate off mountains after getting turned around with no GPS.  Better gear makes you more effective and I'll argue that to the bitter end  :twocents:
:yeah:

Online Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2019, 08:15:51 AM »
Nice gear has just enabled me to do it more comfortably. Those low tech hunts can be rewarding as long as things go pretty well you
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2019, 08:24:30 AM »
The most high tech piece of hunting equipment I have (excluding my bow and rifles) is my light weight rain pants I use for archery hunting, everything else is from discount racks. My rifle hunting stuff is even more out of date. Still using the same wool coat my dad gave me when I was 15 because he wanted a new Filson one, the shirts are also various hand me down wool, the pants are milsurp green wool, rain gear is various forms of oil skins. The end result means I have a tendency to stick out in a sea of gucci-flage. Knowing how to navigate the country I hunt and the confidence I get from riding a solid mule far out ways those "deficiencies" though.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]