collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Info for research paper  (Read 4172 times)

Offline huntndad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Info for research paper
« on: May 13, 2019, 09:27:06 PM »
Hi,
My daughter is writing a paper on the reintroduction of wolves for a college (running start) class.  She has found a ton of information from the pro-wolf side, but not much that shows the negative side of this debate.  It's getting very frustrating for me because I'm trying to let her see the light on her own.  Unfortunately, the pro-wolf side dominates everything she reads, and she still just sees wolves as cute little puppies.  I need to find more data or research showing the negative impact of wolves.  We've gained a lot from reading the information on this site and the links provided.  Can  anyone point us to any specific studies, or links, or papers, or books that would help her? Thanks.

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Info for research paper
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 09:35:26 PM »
Yellowstone?

Offline Wazntme

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 03:40:28 AM »
There’s a guy on YouTube that does videos about this exact situation, his name is Steve isdahl, he is howtohunt.com as well. But he is a wealth of info

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 04:34:03 AM »
Hi,
My daughter is writing a paper on the reintroduction of wolves for a college (running start) class.  She has found a ton of information from the pro-wolf side, but not much that shows the negative side of this debate.  It's getting very frustrating for me because I'm trying to let her see the light on her own.  Unfortunately, the pro-wolf side dominates everything she reads, and she still just sees wolves as cute little puppies.  I need to find more data or research showing the negative impact of wolves.  We've gained a lot from reading the information on this site and the links provided.  Can  anyone point us to any specific studies, or links, or papers, or books that would help her? Thanks.

This page is a compilation of news stories and information showing impacts of wolves. Sorry, I haven't updated it for several years so nothing is recent, and some links no longer work, but there is a ton of info. I'll probably take it offline in a couple more years but it's still online for now.

http://graywolfnews.com/
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 05:51:58 AM »
Explore the F4WM site and the Rangeland Commission, Life on the Range, information.  Also, livestock studies from Idaho and Montana on wolf costs are available.  An interview with the Dashiels, livestock producers, would be of value.  PM me if needed.  Great start, keep running!!!!

Offline huntndad

• Tracker
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 07:36:23 AM »
Wow! Thanks for all the quick replies.  I knew there had to be a lot of info out there.

Yellowstone?
Her paper is about wolf reintroduction in general, but will focus mostly on Yellowstone.  Would love for her to write specifically about Washington, but information is limited. 

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 09:17:59 AM »
This book is full of data, scientific info, footnotes, etc. There are different contributors to each chapter, most of them wildlife biologists.

https://www.giftcorral.com/products/the-real-wolf-by-ted-b-lyon-will-n-graves?variant=782786396180&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyp-K07Wb4gIVVB-tBh0JwgDJEAQYAiABEgKFYfD_BwE
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Huntin Hounds

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 03:03:38 PM »
The Idaho fish and game website has a section with wildlife reports. She should be able to find an annual report for wolves up until 2016 I believe. She could read those and the ungulate reports for the same areas that take place every 3 years and see what effects the wolf population had on the ungulates as they spread throughout the state. Be careful reading too much into pro and anti wolf sites. There tends to be a lot of fluff both ways that is just not true.

Offline Yelper Guy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: NWTF
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 03:09:36 PM »
WDFW also has a nuisance reporting section.
Some interesting reports to look at.

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 03:10:28 PM »
Yellowstone?

Also in Idaho the frank church ,salmon, selway wilderness areas. Have her do her own research not by reading opinions (which will usually somehow blame habitat) but just looking at when and where wolves were introduced and the elk population in the next ten years. The light bulb should come on quickly. Clearwater of Idaho also

Offline idahohuntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 07:39:10 PM »
Be careful reading too much into pro and anti wolf sites. There tends to be a lot of fluff both ways that is just not true.
:yeah:
The passion and emotion around wolves provides an immense amount of ignorant and baseless internet garbage.  Your best resources will be peer reviewed scientific reports and analyses. 
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 07:47:30 PM »
Have her listen to that video of the ex state rep from MT. He breaks it down very well.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 08:09:23 PM »
More, Save Western Wildlife and Jim Beers for a look at the economics of wolves.

Offline dreamunelk

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2019, 08:14:43 PM »
She should have access to several search engines through the college.
What is her intended major or what class is this for?  The reason I am asking is if science related one of the first things they tend to teach is how to do a scientific literature search.  If English or other they tend to let them use whatever they find. 

Here are a couple of sources for literature.  May have to search through a lot or try different search terms.
https://bioone.org/search?term=wolves
https://www.plos.org/search?q=wolves
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/

There are a couple of papers out of Montana that discuss changes in herds.  Some were not wolves, some where.  Also one that discusses the "Hit them Fast, Hit them Hard" approach to dealing with conflict.  Trying to find.

As Tbar suggested there is some good info from Yellowstone.  Important to consider that this is ongoing.  Know one knows what will happen over the long term.  There is a bit of irony in the what they learned about lack of beavers. 

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal