collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Info for research paper  (Read 4169 times)

Offline dreamunelk

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Info for research paper
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2019, 08:27:33 PM »
Be careful reading too much into pro and anti wolf sites. There tends to be a lot of fluff both ways that is just not true.
:yeah:
The passion and emotion around wolves provides an immense amount of ignorant and baseless internet garbage.  Your best resources will be peer reviewed scientific reports and analyses.

:yeah: :yeah:

Depending on the class she could end up with a bad grade using the wrong sources.  I can remember a professor going into a tirade over students using bad sources.  It was funny.  Most were the save the planet types who thought they new the answers.  A couple were ones who used sources such as some mentioned on here.  Several students dropped the class after that.  I know of several who didn't finish college.

I do want to say congrats.  I think the running start program is great.  Been very impressed with some of the kids that make it through.  I know of one young lady who just got her Phd who stated that if it was not for running start she would have been on drugs and pregnant before she graduated high school.  She had to fight with her parents to attend and paid her own way through many years of college.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2019, 08:30:27 PM »
I'd probably avoid anything Bechetta and Ripple, all their stuff is pro wolf slant.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2019, 12:44:46 AM »
Be careful reading too much into pro and anti wolf sites. There tends to be a lot of fluff both ways that is just not true.
:yeah:
The passion and emotion around wolves provides an immense amount of ignorant and baseless internet garbage.  Your best resources will be peer reviewed scientific reports and analyses.

:yeah: :yeah:

Depending on the class she could end up with a bad grade using the wrong sources.  I can remember a professor going into a tirade over students using bad sources.  It was funny.  Most were the save the planet types who thought they new the answers.  A couple were ones who used sources such as some mentioned on here.  Several students dropped the class after that.  I know of several who didn't finish college.

I do want to say congrats.  I think the running start program is great.  Been very impressed with some of the kids that make it through.  I know of one young lady who just got her Phd who stated that if it was not for running start she would have been on drugs and pregnant before she graduated high school.  She had to fight with her parents to attend and paid her own way through many years of college.

👍
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline huntndad

• Tracker
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2019, 06:46:30 AM »
Thanks again for the overwhelming assistance.  She should be able to find plenty of quality recourses now.  The paper is just for an English 102 class, but she does have access to a national data base of articles and papers through her library, which we have spent hours searching through.  It is just very surprising, and a little disappointing, that almost everything we found discusses the positive impact of wolves, even in the scholarly articles. 

We'll spend our weekend looking into all the recourses you all suggested.  Thanks.

Offline dreamunelk

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2019, 07:02:13 AM »
Don't look for the smoking gun. There is nothing that supports eradication of predators.  There is a lot that supports management.  You really have to read the paper.  Often in the discussion you will find some tidbits.  One thing I do when reading an article in a magazine that states a source is to go find the source, if peer reviewed, and read. 
Have her check and see if the college has an institution subscription to the Journal of Wildlife Management.  Be prepared.  There is a lot of reading to do.
Don't just limit research to wolves. 

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2019, 01:55:26 PM »
There is a lot of bogus info out there including peer reviewed papers. To many of the bio's and managers have agendas, a good example of what I'm talking about is the fact that the former director of the USFWS is now running one of the top wolf loving anti-hunting organizations.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamie_Rappaport_Clark

Pittman Robertson funds were illegally used for wolf introduction rather than being given back to states as it's earmarked.

Another good example is the Washington wolf plan, they ignored taking care of the caribou which are now extinct in large part due to lack of managing wolves. They also ignored known impacts on ungulates in other states when developing the plan. Yes, I've read every page of it in the past.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal