collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Reloading log software recommendation  (Read 1394 times)

Offline navdoc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Reloading log software recommendation
« on: May 15, 2019, 07:40:43 AM »
I’m currently using paper and pen. I take photos of groups and tape them to the logbook. Is there a good program that would do that? I like referring back to the photos when analyzing but my current method is a bit archaic.

Offline Fireb@ll

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, Boone and Crocket, RMEF
Re: Reloading log software recommendation
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 10:09:55 AM »
Navdoc,

I use an app on my phone to assess targets.  "SubMOA" allows you take pics and then scale the photo, tag the hits, and assess the group.  Software indicates center of group, spread, etc.  Its availabel on the iPhone app store, not sure about other platforms.

On the desktop I use "Reloaders Workshop" available here:  https://github.com/lobobeebe/ReloadersWorkshop

The software is comprehensive, to say the least.  It will track and record damn near everything and anything.  Sadly, the author passed away a few months ago and I do not believe anyone has picked up maintaining the databases of components, bug fixes, etc.  The software, which was crippleware, was made freely available after his passing so although not supported it is now open source.

Good shooting!

:hello: Fireball
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from opposition; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach himself. " 
--Thomas Paine

Offline timberghost72

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Seattle Rifle & Pistol
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 10:14:12 AM »
I use Excel to log my data (made a data template and save each session) and just insert or copy/paste photo's of groups. Pretty easy.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 10:36:07 AM »
That's essentially what I do, but SubMOA or similar looks pretty slick.

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 09:01:52 PM »
Paper and pen guy here.  I do use some excel with my limited ability to track velocity and powder charges.  I write stuff down in spiral notebook, and tape targets inside as well.  Not the prettiest thing but works and simple.  Easy to go back and look at stuff all in one place.

Offline hogslayer

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: Bloody decks
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 09:13:04 PM »
Make a folder on your phone and write down info on target and take pictures.  I do this along with pen and load book.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 05:29:05 AM »
Submoa is awesome
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline Crunchy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 08:21:20 AM »
One last question. So the load I am somewhat settled on has a small node (71.0 to 71.3) that covers .6 grains with an SD of 5 and ES of 15.  I noticed a second node that covers from 71.7 to 72.3 with an extreme spread from 71.7, 72.0 and 72.3 of 7.  Getting smooth bolt lift but the case head is getting that half moon stamp indicating it is a hot load.  Primers look fine.  I have shot the larger node but not as tight of group as the lower charge node.  Should I settle on the lower node, or try different seating depths with the hotter larger node?  Might be chasing the dragon, but thought it might be worth exploring.  I was going to load 3 of 72.0 and try three different seating depths of three round groups.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 09:55:10 AM »
One last question. So the load I am somewhat settled on has a small node (71.0 to 71.3) that covers .6 grains with an SD of 5 and ES of 15.  I noticed a second node that covers from 71.7 to 72.3 with an extreme spread from 71.7, 72.0 and 72.3 of 7.  Getting smooth bolt lift but the case head is getting that half moon stamp indicating it is a hot load.  Primers look fine.  I have shot the larger node but not as tight of group as the lower charge node.  Should I settle on the lower node, or try different seating depths with the hotter larger node?  Might be chasing the dragon, but thought it might be worth exploring.  I was going to load 3 of 72.0 and try three different seating depths of three round groups.
its worth a try.  The brass may not last as long but es of 7 is awesome for vertical spread at distance
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline Crunchy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 10:07:46 AM »
I loaded some up, see if the weather gets better on the W side, and I might make a run to the range.  Too much fishing lately and not enough shootin.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]