collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Rosie vs. Cascade Rosie vs. Rocky Mountain elk.  (Read 3644 times)

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: King co. Search and Rescue
Rosie vs. Cascade Rosie vs. Rocky Mountain elk.
« on: May 16, 2019, 08:59:02 PM »
So is there really such a thing as a “cascade Rosie”? And if so where would you draw that line? Also if that’s true do they behave more like a true costal Rosie or more like a Rocky Mountain elk? Are they like a hybrid of both or are they Roosevelt elk that happen to live on the west side of the cascades? Thanks !

Offline bkaech

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Groups: BHA, RMEF, NRA
Re: Rosie vs. Cascade Rosie vs. Rocky Mountain elk.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 09:38:08 PM »
The difference in my opinion is more on the habitat they live in. All thick dark west side habitat the elk will have more Rosie traits and behaviors. As you get up to the cascade crest and timber opens up a bit and ground gets rockier you get more Rocky Mountain elk traits and behaviors. With that said, there isn’t that much difference between the two.

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 10:21:40 PM »
 :dunno:  Good question.  I read of the differences but only know this.  1 being horn size and color.  Color I think is more about trees they rub on but who knows.  Size.  Roosies are big.  Now experience has shown me a local herd that was mostly Roosevelt genes.  Over the years elk from Rainier herd Worked down and started co mingling with that herd.  Over past 30 years horn size has increased in random bulls while body size has remained mostly similar.  a 7-8 pt bull was unheard of in past. 6pt was rare and 5pt the norm.  I think it is a highly variable answer resulting in no real conclusions..
MAGA!  Again..

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 10:26:20 PM »
According to my understanding, cervous elaphus (?) Migrated across the Bering land bridge into N.America and spread east.
Due to climate changes, some were isolated in coastal pacific northwest (Roosevelt), while the others lived in Rocky Mountains and east.
Numbers radically expanded after some serious fires and logging in the early 1900's opened up areas to forage growth.. (Previously closed canopy old growth)
Introduction of Rocky Mountain elk in Washington established the elk we have in Eastern Washington.
Studies have shown that genetically they are so similar that they can crossbreed, and if transplanted will assimilate and take on the characteristics of the local population.
This is evidence of the environment and habitat being responsible for adaptation.
Essentially the same animals, but geography has caused a difference.
As far as the "line" goes, coast to I-5 is Roosevelt, I-5 to the Cascade crest is "Cascade Roosevelt, and anything east of the crest is Rocky Mountain.
The elk don't know the difference, and cross both lines at will.
However, habitat seems to be the main reason for the differences, types of forage (diet) and escape cover (type of undergrowth) clearly dictate ability to adapt and survive, and the main difference between the species.
The age old saying of "elk are where you find them" is never more true than when you find them in the thick timber and open parks, or the dense coastal rainforest and swamps.
They are all elk, but they are going to behave in the way they have adapted to their habitat in order to survive.
Even elk that live in the high country of the Olympics will be different than the lowland coastal Roosevelt's,
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 10:46:23 PM »
The difference in my opinion is more on the habitat they live in. All thick dark west side habitat the elk will have more Rosie traits and behaviors. As you get up to the cascade crest and timber opens up a bit and ground gets rockier you get more Rocky Mountain elk traits and behaviors. With that said, there isn’t that much difference between the two.
:yeah:
When big parts of the coast would get logged, it was common to see herds of roosies in the hundreds, like their rocky brothers.  When it grows back, they keep breaking into smaller groups. 

Offline Old Man Yager

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, PRHAA
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 12:29:38 PM »
When my Dad and his gang hunted Forks area in the 60,s and 70's, there were elk running all over the place. They would see elk on the run and jump in the trucks and haul ass around to head them off. You could see for miles cause it was a lot of clearcut. They used to be pretty succesful, times have changed!!
My Dad always said, " Get a bigger hammer "

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 12:40:46 PM »
When my Dad and his gang hunted Forks area in the 60,s and 70's, there were elk running all over the place. They would see elk on the run and jump in the trucks and haul ass around to head them off. You could see for miles cause it was a lot of clearcut. They used to be pretty succesful, times have changed!!
Yeah, in the 80's we used to load guys in the bed of the truck and start dropping them off along the roads when we found a herd.
Worked great for deer too.
All those clear cuts were full of food,.. now... Not so much.
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: King co. Search and Rescue
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 08:47:48 PM »
Very interesting.. so I’m curious, I feel that Rosie’s are a bit more territorial than Rocky’s. If you agree, would you say that the Cascade Rosie’s, are more territorial than a true Rocky Mt elk?

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 08:58:10 PM »
They are all the same and react/adjust their mannerisms depending on various physiological and mental stimuli (predator pressure, weather, etc). Good thread  ;)
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 08:58:55 PM »
I would think so.  If they live in a more wooded area, they would have to remember more things about their turf and how to get around.  The head cow has to memorize the trails and different areas to use.  So, if her trails are shorter between turns and go to smaller food sources and small creeks to cross, then she would hold the herd to smaller territory than an elk that lives in an area with fewer trees (just an example) where she might have to remember less and can expand the distance--having more territory.  It's interesting how they will run to certain areas knowing where to cross exactly.

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 10:54:44 PM »
I do believe rosy are less vocal.  Maybe its because of environment less open or migration tends to be less?  Dunno if I am correct but it sure has been that for me.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline cougforester

• Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, RMEF
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 11:00:16 PM »
I do believe rosy are less vocal.  Maybe its because of environment less open or migration tends to be less?  Dunno if I am correct but it sure has been that for me.
Rosies are more vocal than Rockies. Just have to be close enough to hear em.

Offline Sliverslinger

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 11:59:15 PM »
Rosies are more vocal than Rockies. Just have to be close enough to hear em.

:yeah: this is true. The sound doesn’t carry nearly as well in the thick timber and reprod as it does in the open country. They can’t hear your location bugles as well and you can’t hear their responses as well. In my experience Rosie’s also tend to chuckle much more regularly than RM.
SliverSlinger

Offline Bucks2Ducks

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2019, 05:51:25 AM »
I agree with you. I would say the top 10 bugling performances I've seen have all been Rocky Mtn, and I primarily hunt Rosies. My areas the terrain isn't all that different, I would imagine the density of elk to be somewhat similar as well... Cow/Bull ratio probably different though
When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters and we want our freedom-Sitting Bull

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2019, 06:25:40 AM »
I'm no expert but from decades of experience have formed a tentative theory that the thicker the vegetation, the more vocal the animals that live in it.

The same species IME seem to be more sound oriented in areas where they cannot see each other very far.  I formed that idea from observing, listening and calling moose in extremely thick areas compared to more open country, and from talking with guide friends.  That has seemed to carry true to Washington State elk east and west, though I agree that the sounds may not be loud.  Animals merely keeping in conversational touch in thick vegetation need only tiny sounds, often unheard by humans or ignored by humans.

When it comes to bugling however, IME Rockies seem more aggressive, bugle more frequently, are more likely to bugle on their own rather than only reply to a bugle, and tend to bugle louder. Maybe it is a dominance thing where sound carries farther in the wide open canyons.  Along that line, a couple of years ago we had a Rosie bull come in to a call silently, then in the only sound we heard  him make, one time he made the quietest whisper of a bugle I've ever heard.  I wonder if he did not want any elk to hear it other than the one he thought that he was close to.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 06:43:24 AM by Okanagan »

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal