collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Spring bear 2019  (Read 3918 times)

Offline 270Flat

• Chief
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Getting skunked beats doing yard work!
Spring bear 2019
« on: May 18, 2019, 10:43:48 AM »
 Finally it had happened... SELECTED! A unit right out my back door where critters were plentiful. My first special season draw. I was ecstatic!! I started my research on spring hunting, it was a new thing so I wanted to be prepared as possible. I determined that I wanted to call in a bear.
This hunt started years ago when my first camera was ripped from a tree. Then the second camera was ripped from a tree. Then two from one of my buddies. Casual sightings during a hiking trip to look for models or check the berry’s. It came to the point where the bears were more regular than the elk or deer. All elusive to us during a hunting season as the traffic of people seemed to throw them off course. Something had to be done.
The first camera went up this spring in mid March. It was much more difficult due to the late winter and many roads being snowed in with massive drifts. The usual spots where we saw bears for years came up blank week after week. I had to keep reminding myself that the season was different. I wasn’t used to searching to hunt bears in the spring. We’d glass for hours only to find elk in nearly every pocket and plentiful deer. They seemed to be making their way back into the mountains from the valley where they’ve spent most of the winter. The deep snow pack pushed them all into the low foothills and agricultural land.
 With the help of a fellow member we made it out religiously each weekend and I would run up after baseball to check cams and glass the mountains. Each week the snow would recede and we could get a bit farther. I had identified several options for hunting as most of the unit is privately owned. Just have to do the left work to find the spots.
Two weeks ago we changed our approach and went to the edge of the unit in search for deeper canyons and more exposed green hill sides. Still time again seeing deer and elk. We found a good spot we’re we could get real deep and set out on foot. Not far.  To the canyon we got fresh bear scat. It was small but it was fresh! We continued our trek it was obvious the bears were out as the hill sides had become a digging ground. We came up blank and headed home on the way running into a few other tag holders and spotting the first black bear of the season about two miles away. It was definitely good to see.
With the boys having baseball all week I didn’t have the chance to make it back up until Friday when another few members from the forum we headed over. The plan was to glass Friday night and hit it hard Saturday as Sunday was Mother’s day. Got up Friday night to a new spot and it was awesome! A chunk of private land that I had gained access to. Heavy timber, snow around and long sight lines for glassing and shooting if needed all headed down to the bottom of the canyon. All attached to land I could already hunt.
We went slow as we surveyed the new landscape. Lots of moose and elk sign. I did a bit of calling then we headed out to meet my brother who was heading up the mountains from the wet side. This spot had promise! With a month still left in the season I felt pretty good. As we headed down the mountain we ran into my brother and found a great spot to glass. Almost got instantly I spotted a large chocolate bear in the distance. Close enough to put a move on if it was in the right piece of hillside. But we glassed in awe the bear fed over the hillside out of sight. We made a plan for the next morning and met up early and headed out. We hunted a different spot in close proximity of where we’d seen the bear the night before but came up blank. We pulled a camera and got a black sow with a new cub. Yet another sighting! It was already 80 degrees by 9:00 am so we made a plan to hunt the timber in the way out and catch a noon baseball game. Man it was hot! Turned out to be above 90 degrees and the sunscreen had to came out.
After the game we decided to let it cool down a bit as the most activity was in the last few hours of sunlight. I got a call from a friend who had a few bears on camera and wanted them hunted off the property. Game on! We made a plan to meet up and we took it easy for the rest of the afternoon. We were pretty stoked as we might actually see a bear we could shoot. We lounged around and caught a nap until right before we had to leave the phone rang and our plans fell through. Not a problem I thought we can head back up high and do some more glassing. My buddy suggested heading back to the spot we were at last night and walk into the deep sight lines and glass. Sounded like a solid plan so off we went. As we pulled up I hopped out of the truck to see a bear track in the mud!! It wasn’t there the day before, we parked in the same spot and we would have seen it. We made a plan and headed into the timber. As we walked through the snow on the trail we could see where the bear passed through. Instantly my mind started working. I was running through scenarios in my head. What do if’s... as we headed deeper we could hear the timber moving. Senses were heightened only to have a deer snort at us. We moved onto the spot I wanted to call from.
As we approached the calling area the wind was perfect and we tucked ourselves against some trees and brush and started calling. I’d call hard and heavy then the second call would sail away. We continued this for 35 minutes until the woods came to life. We could hear something crashing towards us from a couple different spots. That’s when the adrenaline really started pumping, I’d been through this so many times in my head. I really felt confident in my abilities to make a solid shot on a bear coming in hot. I had stopped calling and readied my rifle. It almost sounded like the bear was headed down away from us so I asked for another calling sequence to let the bear know where we were exactly. As soon as that happened I caught a glimpse of the bear charging through the brush straight at us. I found him in the scope and determined that if I had a shot I would take it. I was down hill from the other two guys with a different perspective.
As soon as the bear made it to the clearing he stopped and searched for the call location. When he stopped I put the cross hairs low as we were under 100 yards and sent the bullet flying. It all sealed like slow motion as I could hear the bullet make solid impact. He ran downhill and I followed to readied myself for the follow up shot. I could hear him crashing down and waited. I got to a small knob and he popped his head out briefly and disappeared. I listened for the direction of the crashing so I could slowly follow. Nothing else happed..? My brother made it to me and I told him what was going on. My buddy headed up to the impact sight to follow a blood trail. They saw a bear run back uphill so I was prepared to start trailing. I wanted to go check the last spot I had a sighting. My brother and I split up with readied firepower just in case. It was quite the eerie feeling walking through head tall brush looking for a wounded bear. I didn’t make it to far from the last spot I’d seen him and looked down. They he laid rolled up under a log. I called for back up as I approached and made sure the bear was finished off. He laid there spread out with no movement as I touched his eye with my rifle barrel. It had happened! My brother had started recording video on his phone of the elation! Only to find out he recorded the the whole sequence before the shot happed. We had it on video!! Since the weather was into the 90’s the next day we got right to work. We got a few adult beverages down to the kill site a few quick pictures and cheers. We worked through the night and finally finished getting back to the truck as the sun came up. What a wild evening with my brother and friends.
 The video will need some editing but I’m posting a YouTube link if anybody want to watch it. It’s not high quality but fun to watch. You need to adjust the screen as he filmed it on his phone.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=fqNWrU0kWV4

I’d like to thank my wife and boys for giving me the time to spend out in the mountains. My brother Greg, my friends Dan, Andy and David for sacrificing their time to help me out. I am very appreciative and look forward to another adventure.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 10:50:53 AM by 270Flat »
fear no fish!!

Offline 270Flat

• Chief
  • Longhunter
Re: Spring bear 2019
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 10:44:35 AM »
fear no fish!!

Offline 270Flat

• Chief
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 10:46:12 AM »
fear no fish!!

Offline 270Flat

• Chief
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 10:46:35 AM »
fear no fish!!

Offline Tschaefer72

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 12:08:48 PM »
Such a great bear. Thanks for sharing the hunt and glad it all worked out for the work you put in!

Offline elkrack

• Framer
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 03:16:18 PM »
What a great bear! Nice work  :tup:
life's tough its tougher if your stupid (john wayne)

If you ain’t first your last☝🏻

Offline Go Blue

• Tracker
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 06:14:27 PM »
Very nice, Congrats.

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 06:37:00 PM »
Dandy bear!  Congrats
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline emac

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 02:38:22 AM »

Casual sightings during a hiking trip to look for models or check the berry’s.
[/quote/]

My question is how many models did you see and i need gps coordinates.😂

Congrats on the bear

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 03:27:18 AM »
Awesome job and bear
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline navdoc

• Tracker
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2019, 05:52:11 AM »
Success!  Great bear and great hunt!  Thank you for the story and congrats!

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2019, 06:54:47 AM »
Nice bear :tup:

Offline Stalkin Prey

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2019, 07:55:36 AM »
Awesome bear. Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 270Flat

• Chief
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2019, 01:01:53 PM »
Well... the blues are known for color phase!?!? We’ve got blondes, redheads and brown and black haired sows around 😂😂😂

Casual sightings during a hiking trip to look for models or check the berry’s.
[/quote/]

My question is how many models did you see and i need gps coordinates.😂

Congrats on the bear

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
fear no fish!!

Offline banishd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2019, 01:38:11 PM »
Great bear and experience! Hope it doesnt take you another 8 years to get drawn again.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]