collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Learning Diaphram calling for next year?!  (Read 2451 times)

Offline JasonG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Learning Diaphram calling for next year?!
« on: May 18, 2019, 04:22:37 PM »
So I decided to try and learn mouth calling for next season. I have been using a slate call for my first two seasons. Its sounds good but I haven't been able to seal the deal. Not the calls fault just not much time in the field much only once this year. Was getting gobblers but could get them to commit. Anyway, I bought a couple of mouth calls and I'm on the struggle bus with getting the high pitch sound to start with. I've been on youtube looking at advice. I just started with the calls. I've had them for about 4 days. How long did it take before you could at least get the call to make a constant sound? I know this is something that will take time. Am I just wondering if people have had similar struggles?  Thanks Jason

Offline Birdgetter

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Learning Diaphram calling for next year?!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 08:46:05 PM »
Yep, it was a struggle at first but once you get it figured out it is definitely worth it!

Offline Brushcrawler

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 09:08:30 PM »
Man I can sympathize. Mouth calls are tough to figure out.
There is not enough wilderness left in the world, or in the hearts of men.

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 09:37:26 PM »
https://www.primos.com/PrimosHunting/media/Products/Hunting%20Calls/Turkey/1226_WPSignatureSeries_v2.png

Try this one out. I found it really easy to learn, but have done quite a bit of calling elk with mouth reeds. I don't really know how to explain how to use it, I just think of the sound I want to make and make it.

I keep mouth calls in my truck and play with them a lot when I am driving around. I suggest getting a CD with turkey sounds and trying to mimic them. It may take a while but you will get it.

Offline TheStovePipeKid

• They call me MISTER KID!
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • I. Kill. Turkey.
    • TheStovePipeKid
  • Groups: NWTF Annual Member, NRA Extended Pay Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 10:39:01 PM »
In my experience, which is admittedly limited in the area of calls, the diaphram call is inherently opposite of the other two calls that make up the big three, namely diaphram (aka mouth) - pot (aka slate) - box (aka .... idk). Whereas the box can be picked up and used to make generally tolerable noises by almost anyone with just a little instruction, and the pot can make sweet yelps with a little bit more hands on time, the diaphram is a slow burning long game. The first real trick is learning not to choke on it. Then you learn a basic yelp. Then you watch the turkey calling championship and try to sound like a whole flock of hens at once. They take alot, ALOT, of practice before they pay off. The nice part is when it finally clicks you can start making all kind of crazy turkey sound. Then you move from trying to just get a decent yelp out to chatting with other turkeys using cuts, purrs, and clucks. As mentioned already many hunters keep some in the car. The real key is to be comfortable with one in your mouth so you have the confidence to use it in the field. Case in point, I used a glass pot call as the Sun rose to woo a tom out of his morning roost. I ended up wooing a subordinate tom and a hen down first, and right in front of me. Once the boss flew down I was able to move all three into range near my hen decoy using my diaphram call with both hands firmly on my shotgun. The rest is turkey dinner as they say. Long term investment that paid off. I enjoy my pot call the most but never head into the turkey woods without a diaphram call in my mouth.
I laugh in the face of Danger. Ha ha ha Danger Face!

Offline optic2

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
  • Groups: 2AF, FPC, GOA, BHA, RMEF
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 02:03:45 AM »
So I decided to try and learn mouth calling for next season. I have been using a slate call for my first two seasons. Its sounds good but I haven't been able to seal the deal. Not the calls fault just not much time in the field much only once this year. Was getting gobblers but could get them to commit. Anyway, I bought a couple of mouth calls and I'm on the struggle bus with getting the high pitch sound to start with. I've been on youtube looking at advice. I just started with the calls. I've had them for about 4 days. How long did it take before you could at least get the call to make a constant sound? I know this is something that will take time. Am I just wondering if people have had similar struggles?  Thanks Jason

Can you already do elk calls? I've gotten pretty good with elk calls and switching to a turkey call with the tighter latex didn't take long to pick up. Although I can do the diaphragm calls good I preferred using a pot/slate call since you can get a more versatile set of sounds out of it.

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 06:17:54 AM »
I think that a mouth call to me is the most versatile call I have in my vest.  I can do everthing a slate or box call can do.  Big thing is make sure you have the call in right.  Majority if calls is their print or logo to the roof of your mouth.  You don't need high pitch sounds with turkey.  By best calls are split v or bat wing cuts.  You also get different tones with where you put the call in your mouth.  I use a mouth call 90 percent of the time.  I am terrible with elk diaphram calls.  Pretty sure the latex on a elk cal is much tighter than a turkey call.  Elk calls you have to get much higher pitch than a turkey.  A good turkey mouth call that can do a kee kee run is pretty tight because that is pretty high pitched.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline JasonG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 09:04:05 AM »

Can you already do elk calls? I've gotten pretty good with elk calls and switching to a turkey call with the tighter latex didn't take long to pick up. Although I can do the diaphragm calls good I preferred using a pot/slate call since you can get a more versatile set of sounds out of it.
I haven't used an elk diaphragm call before.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 10:39:34 AM »
For basic sounds, it took me about 30 seconds, but I am coming from a diaphram elk calling background.  I haven't taken the time to learn the more advanced stuff.

Just keep practicing and watch a bunch of youtubes.  Everyone learns a bit different and having the same thing explained in multiple ways helps as you will find some guys explain it better for you than others.

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 12:55:22 PM »
My best advice is to make sure the tip of your tongue is firmly planted against your 4 bottom front teeth and keep it there, never move it. This will force you to use the middle of your toungue to control the diaphragm. You want to force the air between your arched tongue and the Reed and then it's just adding more or less pressure along with mouth movements (eeeewwwwww, ooooooooo, etc...) to aquire the proper sound. Add in some throat growling and a raspberry now and then and your all set for elk LOL !!
The essense of freedom is the proper limitation of government !!!

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2019, 07:19:56 PM »
Great if the OP was talking about elk calling :chuckle:  Turkey calling is a bit different.  I can elk call with a mouth call just not very good at it.  I am pretty good at turkey calling though.  One thing about mouth calls if you gag on them it is usually because it is not fitting your mouth.  You can take scissors and trim around the call.  Zink has really good videos on how to use a diaphram call.  I usually get a dvd when I buy one of their 3 packs.  I tell everone that comes to one of my seminars that they should learn how to use a diaphram call.  No hands being used so less chance of that turkey catching movement.  Also when I do purrs or puts i will use the corner of my mouth kind of throwing that sound to different side sounding like a bird is moving or multiple birds.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Mtnwalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2019, 07:50:25 PM »
After trying a couple that I couldn’t make a turkey sound with to save my life I found the Primos ‘Hook’ blue and green diaphrams super easy to learn on.

Offline EWUeagles

• Scout
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2019, 07:46:06 AM »
It took me a while. I used to just keep one laying around and would try it and then one day I made a sound that actually sounded like a turkey. Once I had an idea what I did it was easy to start making more noises with it.

This year I have called in 3 toms with a mouth call, 2 with a slate and 1 with a box. The turkey's not finishing this year isn't because you weren't using a mouth call. It might be worth learning what call to use when more than learning a new way to call.

Offline JasonG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2019, 05:42:54 PM »
It took me a while. I used to just keep one laying around and would try it and then one day I made a sound that actually sounded like a turkey. Once I had an idea what I did it was easy to start making more noises with it.

This year I have called in 3 toms with a mouth call, 2 with a slate and 1 with a box. The turkey's not finishing this year isn't because you weren't using a mouth call. It might be worth learning what call to use when more than learning a new way to call.
Doing both!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw