collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Popup toy haulers, Fleetwood vs starcraft?  (Read 989 times)

Offline syoungs

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
Popup toy haulers, Fleetwood vs starcraft?
« on: May 18, 2019, 05:53:13 PM »
So the plans to upgrade my pickup and getting a pickup camper are on hold for now, decided I dont want payments for a few years, and the kid is getting to dang big to sleep on a small dinnete.

I've always had a soft spot for tent trailers, actually feels like camping in them, and i loved using my late 70s starcraft when I had it.

Weve been looking at the front deck units that will hold 2 quads, and went and looked at a few newer tent trailers on a dealers lot today. We like the high sidewall models much more then the standard sidewall, lots more room for storage and higher countertops make me happy.

The only toyhaulers that have been manufactured (that I can find, though I swear jayco made a highwall hauler back around 05), are the fleetwood/Coleman evolution e4, and the starcraft 36rt. Both have exactly what we are looking for, both can be found used in my price range, although they are getting rare.

Can anyone speak to what unit was better in the 05-07ish time frame? As far as I can tell they are basically the same thing, using the same appliances and such, but maybe one stood out as a better built unit?

Also, I'm in the market for one of the aformentioned units! Starting to look now, but probably will start to get real serious in a month, and hope to own before a trip the first week of august.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: Popup toy haulers, Fleetwood vs starcraft?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 05:51:03 PM »
I don't know about the newer pop-up tent trailers, but I had a Coleman 12 ft box (24ft with the two pullouts) in the mid 90s. At that time Coleman was one of the best tent trailers made. From day one, the deterioration was noticeable. The seems stitching was pulling. The support legs were disgustingly weak. Everything thing about the thing was cheaply made. I got rid of it after two years. Since then, I have noticed at every RV show I have attended, that they have gotten worse. To pay 12k + for something so cheaply made is not something I would even consider again. Take a real close look at the plumbing, the cabinet construction, and the folding tables they charge hundreds for, that you can readily buy at most stores for a fraction of the cost.
I don't want to rain on your parade, but I would never consider another pop-up.
I would buy an older 4 season trailer. Be patient, and inspect everything.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline syoungs

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
Re: Popup toy haulers, Fleetwood vs starcraft?
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 07:58:13 PM »
I don't know about the newer pop-up tent trailers, but I had a Coleman 12 ft box (24ft with the two pullouts) in the mid 90s. At that time Coleman was one of the best tent trailers made. From day one, the deterioration was noticeable. The seems stitching was pulling. The support legs were disgustingly weak. Everything thing about the thing was cheaply made. I got rid of it after two years. Since then, I have noticed at every RV show I have attended, that they have gotten worse. To pay 12k + for something so cheaply made is not something I would even consider again. Take a real close look at the plumbing, the cabinet construction, and the folding tables they charge hundreds for, that you can readily buy at most stores for a fraction of the cost.
I don't want to rain on your parade, but I would never consider another pop-up.
I would buy an older 4 season trailer. Be patient, and inspect everything.
Older 4 seasons trailer means new truck, and it would have to be a big toyhauler to fit what I need to fit.
Your right though, these things should be about 8k fully loaded brand new, the only one they make new that will fit 2 quads on the front is 18-20k depending on who's selling it. Too rich for my blood.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]