collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Crf250l? Gp riding .  (Read 3518 times)

Offline tritt007

• youngin
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Crf250l? Gp riding .
« on: May 19, 2019, 05:41:49 PM »
Looking at getting a crf250l I'm kind of looking for a bike I can take and use in the Gifford pinchot ohv trails in summer and fall that can also be road legal  and maybe capitalize on the ability to ride into places during archery season .  Does anyone have any experience witht these bikes ? Is it enough bike to be climbing those steep switchback trails ? With a pack ? I grew up by Jones creek and used to ride those trails a lot , I'm not a begginer rider but I'm also kind of a novice when it comes to back country riding.  And any advice on any of the trails in the dark divide area would be great as Well if anyone is willing to share ! Thanks !
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security  -Benjamin Franklin

Offline Wanttohuntmore

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Crf250l? Gp riding .
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 08:53:04 PM »
Heavy but doable. 

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 09:23:42 PM »
I’ll say for the dirt road it’s fine at best and that’s about it . Would definitely say get a 450 preferably a KTM if you plan on much blacktop riding, you’ll work a 250 to much PLUS you will be bored of it within a week just not enough power
Jake

Offline JWEBB

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Waiting for October
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 10:09:29 PM »
Plenty of power to go anywhere you need. I ride an xr200 and my old man rides an xl 200.(for hunting/scouting that is) Only made the xl a couple years. We’ve packed many an animal out with them and ride in some pretty rough hills. You’ll be fine!  And yes they don’t have balls to the wall power but will get you anywhere you need to go. And best bonus is it’s light. Easy to maneuver.  Sure it won’t have insane power but I’d take it any day over a bigger bike. And good call on picking a street legal bike. They really patrol that in the Gifford
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 10:19:25 PM by JWEBB »
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 10:32:08 PM »
for hunting applications, scouting and packing out game, you want a low seat height.  You'll want to put them feet down to glass, hop logs, traverse around a sketchy spots etc.

I also don't think anything bigger than a 250 is really wanted, when you load it up with weight you don't need an already heavy bike trying to pack game out around trees, sticks, brush logs etc

You'll want to haul the bike in the pickup with all your hunting stuff be it deer bait, salt licks, trail cams tent etc etc so 
So you don't really need a big displacement bike for the highways anyways, you can't pack a whole hunting camp on it plus game back home.   

riding is one thing, hunting is something else when it comes to bikes. 

I'm a KTM guy, I've got orange blood, but I wouldn't buy a KTM for hunting, it's too fast, too powerful, and the subframes aren't designed to carry a lot of weight and that power and performance means more work and more scary when loaded up with stuff.

You need a mule, not a racehorse.

The tried/true bike for hunting and scouting is probably the TW200, but it is under powered for climbing stuff and ungainly and the carb sucks if you go low elevation to high elevation.
The tires are cool in the softer stuff but usually by fall things are hard and rocky.  It's a great bike, but 50mph is pushing it. 

TW200 might be too much mule..

XT 250 is a great compromise bike, it has EFI and very low seat height and will do over 70 mph but that's flogging it,  55-62 mph you could do all day long.
 sips fuel and will carry a big load. 

CFR250L is heavy and taller, bad combination for hauling big loads in tight spots. I also don't like the water cooling, too easy to get a stick in the hose or radiator. 
You'll want a bomb proof dirt simple bike.

I would ignore more comparisons you'll find on youtube or websites, what you're asking for (hunting bike) there isn't a lot of good feedback, what you'll find is kids comparing data sheets and what kind of bike their friends have, and how theirs is better/worse than the other xyz brand.

like I said riding is riding, but hunting applications calls for a whole different beast.

Offline JWEBB

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Waiting for October
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 10:36:13 PM »
for hunting applications, scouting and packing out game, you want a low seat height.  You'll want to put them feet down to glass, hop logs, traverse around a sketchy spots etc.

I also don't think anything bigger than a 250 is really wanted, when you load it up with weight you don't need an already heavy bike trying to pack game out around trees, sticks, brush logs etc

You'll want to haul the bike in the pickup with all your hunting stuff be it deer bait, salt licks, trail cams tent etc etc so 
So you don't really need a big displacement bike for the highways anyways, you can't pack a whole hunting camp on it plus game back home.   

riding is one thing, hunting is something else when it comes to bikes. 

I'm a KTM guy, I've got orange blood, but I wouldn't buy a KTM for hunting, it's too fast, too powerful, and the subframes aren't designed to carry a lot of weight and that power and performance means more work and more scary when loaded up with stuff.

You need a mule, not a racehorse.

The tried/true bike for hunting and scouting is probably the TW200, but it is under powered for climbing stuff and ungainly and the carb sucks if you go low elevation to high elevation.
The tires are cool in the softer stuff but usually by fall things are hard and rocky.  It's a great bike, but 50mph is pushing it. 

TW200 might be too much mule..

XT 250 is a great compromise bike, it has EFI and very low seat height and will do over 70 mph but that's flogging it,  55-62 mph you could do all day long.
 sips fuel and will carry a big load. 

CFR250L is heavy and taller, bad combination for hauling big loads in tight spots. I also don't like the water cooling, too easy to get a stick in the hose or radiator. 

I would ignore more comparisons you'll find on youtube or websites, what you're asking for (hunting bike) there isn't a lot of good feedback, what you'll find is kids comparing data sheets and what kind of bike their friends have, and how theirs is better/worse than the other xyz brand.

like I said riding is riding, but hunting applications calls for a whole different beast.

I totally agree with you but I don’t think he’s asking about a hunting bike. From his description it sounds like he wants a bike to mess around with in the Gifford  :dunno:  Only thing he mentions about hunting is a “maybe”

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 10:45:59 PM »
maybe I went too heavy to the hunting side of it  :chuckle:

a CRF250L in its proper niche would be a fine bike I'm sure.

Offline JWEBB

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Waiting for October
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 10:47:44 PM »
maybe I went too heavy to the hunting side of it  :chuckle:

a CRF250L in its proper niche would be a fine bike I'm sure.

But your spot on for hunting!!!

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 04:50:22 AM »
For more trail riding then hunting go with a 450 weight difference between the two are minimal compared to the power difference. You WILL be bored of a 250 by weeks end guaranteed

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 07:39:52 AM »
 :yeah:

That said they are good machines on a reliable platform and would certainly get the job done in my opinion. Also if cost is a factor and you NEED the street legal option, be prepared for a significant bump in price. I assume you will be trailering the bike to the forest? Not sure what the rules are in GP my bikes have been plated, but I'm not sure if it's a requirement

Offline tritt007

• youngin
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 11:26:35 AM »
Well the exact thing I am looking for is a dual sport that I can ride on the highway for short distances but also ride all the main roads in the national forests but also ride all the ohv trails in the national forests and yes the bike will probably be hunted off of . The only reason I was leaning towards the Honda is because you can get such a great deal on a brand new bike . And height is a big factor , I'm only 5'7 on a good day haha , I used to ride an old xr250l and i loved that bike , it was a beat to crap 1986 but it did awesome , it was just too tall .
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security  -Benjamin Franklin

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 11:49:44 AM »
 With that description I would recomend it all day :tup:  No machine does everything the best, sacrifices will be made to get a machine that can " do it all".

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2019, 12:08:15 PM »
Don’t forget the DRZ line up, I used to have a DRZ400 that would go anywhere.😉

Cool link for motorcycles for sale around the Puget Sound.

Also a great rider resource.

http://www.soundrider.com/Dealers/HDB/
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 12:57:04 PM »
I'd personally go  Yamaha WR250 over the CRF. 
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2019, 02:56:33 PM »
Well the exact thing I am looking for is a dual sport that I can ride on the

highway for short distances but also
ride all the main roads in the national forests but also
ride all the ohv trails in the national forests and yes the bike will
probably be hunted off of . The only reason I was leaning towards the Honda is because you can get such a great deal on a brand new bike . And
height is a big factor , I'm only 5'7 on a good day haha , I used to ride an old
xr250l was just too tall and i loved that bike , it was a beat to crap 1986 but it did awesome ,

Yamaha XT 250 EFI      all. day. long.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1