collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 224 Terminator  (Read 1938 times)

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
224 Terminator
« on: May 20, 2019, 02:51:57 PM »
This build has been in the works for a few months now and picked it up last week.  Looks like it's going to shoot pretty well and should be a fun little gun to stretch the legs on.

This is Defensive Edge Rifles version of a 22-243 Improved.  All the cartridges they do an "improved" version of, unless otherwise specified, are improved to their specs.  I don't know the exact specifics of what amount of case taper they use but I'm pretty sure all of their "Terminator" cartridges have a 35 degree shoulder.  Case capacity for the 224 Terminator is 55.7gr H2O w/necked down Lapua 243 brass.

One of the things I really like about this build is Shawn has a fireforming setup, I believe he does for all of his Terminator cartridges, so I buy my brass already fireformed and ready to go, also, they have the dies so it's kind of one stop shopping and you're on your way.

Build specs are pretty similar to all my other semi customs.  Rem 700 action, HS Prec stock w/adj cheek piece, HS Prec detachable mag system, Krieger 8tw barrel, Timney Calvin Elite trigger,  NF ATACR 5-25x56 w/NF 20 moa rail & NF rings, action and barrel Cerakoted black.

Offline BKMFR

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: WSF-Life member, F4WM, ITA, RMEF, MDF, ABF-Life member
Re: 224 Terminator
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 02:54:07 PM »
Very Nice!

Online mountainman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 03:10:30 PM »
Typical Carlock accuracy👍
Should be a screaming chuck/coyote getter for sure!
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 03:49:05 PM »
Would be a great ground squirrel rifle. 
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 04:58:27 PM »

Shawn and his dad have been doing nearly all of my builds/work for the last 10+ years and I couldn't be happier.  I've used other smiths for builds over the years and they were good also, but having your "go to" gunsmith only 20 minutes away from your front door is extremely nice.

Online mountainman

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 05:58:27 PM »

Shawn and his dad have been doing nearly all of my builds/work for the last 10+ years and I couldn't be happier.  I've used other smiths for builds over the years and they were good also, but having your "go to" gunsmith only 20 minutes away from your front door is extremely nice.
Having him close is Definetly a bonus! Only 1 build here, an Edge, but shoots lights out👍
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 08:24:40 PM »
Looks good! What was the time line for that build? As I'm slowly chipping away at the list of "highly regarded" smiths to try using, DE is one I still haven't used. My "no fly list" of smiths gets a little longer every year though.  :bash:

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 12:35:12 AM »
Looks good! What was the time line for that build? As I'm slowly chipping away at the list of "highly regarded" smiths to try using, DE is one I still haven't used. My "no fly list" of smiths gets a little longer every year though.  :bash:

Yorke, I don't exactly remember, I think it was right around 8-9 months on this particular build, which was the longest of any DE has done for me to date.  Any of my builds where I've spec'd a Krieger barrel instead of a Hart has always added a couple months to the build time, but I think the biggest thing slowing this particular build down was Shawn had to wait for the reamer.  Generally, I'll drop the action and stock off and in 2-4 months it's all done.

The other smiths I've had build me rifles are usually right around one year to a little over one year wait time and I even had one smith that was over three years to finish a build.  The others did fine work too, but I'm pretty spoiled now and couldn't imagine waiting that long to get a build completed.

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 06:52:42 AM »
Fast package. Is that a 26” barrel? The 88’s dominate 80’s if your twist will shoot them. It should at the velocities you can shoot them at.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 07:46:57 AM »
Fast package. Is that a 26” barrel? The 88’s dominate 80’s if your twist will shoot them. It should at the velocities you can shoot them at.

Krieger fluted Sendero contour 8tw finished at 28 inches. 

My 8tw may shoot them ok but I'm not sure it will be fast enough to get the full BC value of those 88's.  Maybe if I was shooting them up around 6-7000ft elevation it may but I'm generally around the 1500-4000ft range. 

Also, the HS Prec detachable mags, similar to the AICS mags, are more limited on OAL to around 2.86-2.88.  I thought about using the factory BDL hinged floor plate and a Wyatt's extended mag box which will get you out to right around 3.00 OAL but with the 80's my OAL is just a little over 2.800

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2019, 08:30:44 AM »
The HS set up at that length should be fine for the 88’s. Do you know the “Feebore” spec on your particular reamer? 28” should get you your velocity. Should be a great “Go long” rig.

I went 6.5 twist for the 95’s but now I’m kicking around a 7 twist. A 7 twist should handle everything in the heavies at higher velocities. The 6.5 twist suggestion for the 95’s by Sierra had .223 in mind, velocity makes up for twist to a certain point.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2019, 10:48:43 AM »
The HS set up at that length should be fine for the 88’s. Do you know the “Feebore” spec on your particular reamer? 28” should get you your velocity. Should be a great “Go long” rig.

I went 6.5 twist for the 95’s but now I’m kicking around a 7 twist. A 7 twist should handle everything in the heavies at higher velocities. The 6.5 twist suggestion for the 95’s by Sierra had .223 in mind, velocity makes up for twist to a certain point.

It's not my reamer, nor do I have a copy of the reamer print, so don't know what the freebore length is.  I only know that a 80gr ELD-M at just touching is 2.814 so I'd say it has a decent amount of freebore.

You're right, velocity helps if you are a little short on twist rate but as you know, it's certainly no substitute for a faster twist.  Elevation actually gives more benefit than does velocity but velocity, to a point, is the easier of the two to obtain.

A little over a year ago when those 95 SMK's first came out I bought a box of them and talked to Sierra about a fast twist 22-284 build.  From what they told me, these really weren't made for fast twist hot rod 22 cals but more for the fast twist 223 crowd.  SMK's are generally a pretty tough bullet and will usually take higher rpm's, before they blow up, than most of the other target bullets so I was a bit surprised when the Sierra bulletsmith had concerns about the 95's surviving the rpm's but in all fairness, the rpm's at 3400-3500fps from a 7tw barrel is pretty massive and those 95's are not only very long but they have a really long bearing surface too.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 11:05:43 AM by b23 »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand