collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Turkey Report Spring  (Read 5186 times)

Offline Bogie85

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/zbogatz
Turkey Report Spring
« on: May 20, 2019, 05:09:34 PM »
Well I finished out my first Turkey season with a big zero, but I learned a ton. I found their roosting spots finally, found their feeding zones. Got them calling and could get them within 100 yards but they stayed in the tree line so I couldn't see them. Looking back we may have called too much, we were calling every 15-20 minutes.

Even though we didn't get one, man it's exciting hearing them come in. Inexperience got us this time, but each time you go out you learn something new. Looking forward to fall, I refuse to give up on these cautious birds.

Did see a ton of wildlife out in colville area, saw skunks, elk, deer, and heard lots of turkey saw a few.

Offline WaltAlpine

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Westside address - Eastside Heart
Re: Turkey Report Spring
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 07:55:36 PM »
It's a great time even if your tag isn't wrapped around a bird's leg!

Offline Gobble Doc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 08:13:56 PM »
It's a great time even if your tag isn't wrapped around a bird's leg!
I think my success bar is lowering to where a safe trip is a successful trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline EWUeagles

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 07:20:36 AM »
Well I finished out my first Turkey season with a big zero, but I learned a ton. I found their roosting spots finally, found their feeding zones. Got them calling and could get them within 100 yards but they stayed in the tree line so I couldn't see them. Looking back we may have called too much, we were calling every 15-20 minutes.

Even though we didn't get one, man it's exciting hearing them come in. Inexperience got us this time, but each time you go out you learn something new. Looking forward to fall, I refuse to give up on these cautious birds.

Did see a ton of wildlife out in colville area, saw skunks, elk, deer, and heard lots of turkey saw a few.

If the birds are 100 yards away and gobbling you should get aggressive on them. Sneak in closer or do a circle around them and get to another area. I'm not passive when I hunt turkeys and prefer taking it them when it is called for. Glad you had a great time and Colville is a pretty area.

Offline Bogie85

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 08:00:56 AM »

If the birds are 100 yards away and gobbling you should get aggressive on them. Sneak in closer or do a circle around them and get to another area. I'm not passive when I hunt turkeys and prefer taking it them when it is called for. Glad you had a great time and Colville is a pretty area.

That makes a lot of sense, would you change your calling? Do you still use a decoy? Are you doing yelps only?

Offline TheStovePipeKid

• They call me MISTER KID!
  • Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
  • I. Kill. Turkey.
    • TheStovePipeKid
  • Groups: NWTF Annual Member, NRA Extended Pay Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 09:49:26 AM »
It's great to hear you had a good time. By the sound of it you had better luck calling the birds than I did at the beginning of the season. It does get frustrating when you can't get them in range but it's nice to be surrounded by some of the most beautiful scenery in the country. When you go out in the fall find out where they roost and where they drink and place yourself in between the two. The birds are all flocked up then and it's a great oppurtunity to watch them and learn about them. Just don't forget to kill one when you're done observing  :chuckle:
I laugh in the face of Danger. Ha ha ha Danger Face!

Offline EWUeagles

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 10:34:10 AM »

That makes a lot of sense, would you change your calling? Do you still use a decoy? Are you doing yelps only?

I use a decoy when I can but if you get closer than you realize don't waste your time with a decoy. My last turkey I called into 15 yards with out a decoy. I'm sure he would have came to my feet if I didn't shoot haha. I'm not a great caller but I always figured if I'm doing something and get a response I'm doing something right. If you move in close and he's still stuck there I'll try anything to get him to move and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Offline Bogie85

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 11:01:04 AM »
It's great to hear you had a good time. By the sound of it you had better luck calling the birds than I did at the beginning of the season. It does get frustrating when you can't get them in range but it's nice to be surrounded by some of the most beautiful scenery in the country. When you go out in the fall find out where they roost and where they drink and place yourself in between the two. The birds are all flocked up then and it's a great oppurtunity to watch them and learn about them. Just don't forget to kill one when you're done observing  :chuckle:

Heck yeah, this is great info! I think were definitely learning, and I feel like each time I get them a little closer. I am not complaining for only my second time out , having at least between 4-8 gobblers going at it.

Offline Bogie85

• Hunter
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 11:02:15 AM »

I use a decoy when I can but if you get closer than you realize don't waste your time with a decoy. My last turkey I called into 15 yards with out a decoy. I'm sure he would have came to my feet if I didn't shoot haha. I'm not a great caller but I always figured if I'm doing something and get a response I'm doing something right. If you move in close and he's still stuck there I'll try anything to get him to move and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Really great info! Thanks so much. There is a lot to learn here, and the variables are the harder part. But it's so much fun, they are so reactive.

Offline slowhand

• Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 11:14:17 AM »
Tagging in.
Sounds like a good time  :chuckle:
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline Bogie85

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2019, 01:07:40 PM »
Tagging in.
Sounds like a good time  :chuckle:

:chuckle: you would know ;)

Offline TheStovePipeKid

• They call me MISTER KID!
  • Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
  • I. Kill. Turkey.
    • TheStovePipeKid
  • Groups: NWTF Annual Member, NRA Extended Pay Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2019, 02:24:23 PM »
EWUeagles' comment inspired me to mention that in some cases, like you having hung up birds, moving away from the turkey and calling can help. The tom thinks the hen has lost interest and may close the final distance. This works really well if you have a partner calling which allows you to remain still and not get busted. I have used decoys exactly twice in a decade of hunting. The first time produce a cougar, which was counter productive, and the second a tom. I prefer to be light and mobile so I can circle around or cover alot of ground if needed.
I laugh in the face of Danger. Ha ha ha Danger Face!

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2019, 02:27:00 PM »
Quick little story.  Had a nice gobbler out in the middle of a huge field in Virginia a couple of years ago.  Would gobble and double gobble everytime I yelped or clucked at him.  Would not move from a 10 foot strutt zone.  80 years out from the nearest cover.  Back and forth for 45 minutes.  I could just see him, no way to get any closer than the 400 yards I was at.  Call, gobble, call gobble.  Finally I just stopped.   Few minutes goes by, gobble.....no response.  About 15 minutes later gobble, no response.  I see his feathers start to go down and he started walking towards me slowly.  He dipped out of sight.  40ish minutes later big gobble, just over a little rise in front of me, then a big white head popped up and then back down.  Gave me a second to slightly shift my shotgun.  Head popped up, Boom.  Now I did have the advantage of being able to see him and know that he was coming, but sometimes your best bet, particularly with a gobbler that you think is alone and is responsive is to be patient and wait.  Be careful, because a lot of times old gobblers will sneak in from the side or behind you!
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2019, 02:28:05 PM »
EWUeagles' comment inspired me to mention that in some cases, like you having hung up birds, moving away from the turkey and calling can help. The tom thinks the hen has lost interest and may close the final distance. This works really well if you have a partner calling which allows you to remain still and not get busted. I have used decoys exactly twice in a decade of hunting. The first time produce a cougar, which was counter productive, and the second a tom. I prefer to be light and mobile so I can circle around or cover alot of ground if needed.

Very effective if you have a couple of guys!  I have done this and had guys almost have to shoot in self defense as the gobbler was running past them to catch up with the hens that were leaving.
Fred Moyer

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2019, 02:29:13 PM »

Try to learn the to cutt and cluck with your calls.  Excited clucks really fire up a tom.
Fred Moyer

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]