collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Turkey Report Spring  (Read 5188 times)

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Turkey Report Spring
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2019, 08:23:30 AM »
I've done what TheStovePipeKid suggested a few times, even alone it works well. Another thing, Had a hung up bird that would gobble at every call, or on it's own. We worked that bird for a couple of hours. It was the last day and last hour of season. Got around for a different angle, let out a few yelps and immediately followed with the gobble shaker and a few slaps to the leg with the hat. That bird came a running, gobbling the entire way. Had heard about that in a seminar several years ago. It was a last ditch effort but it worked.

Offline Bogie85

• Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/zbogatz
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2019, 09:54:24 AM »
I've done what TheStovePipeKid suggested a few times, even alone it works well. Another thing, Had a hung up bird that would gobble at every call, or on it's own. We worked that bird for a couple of hours. It was the last day and last hour of season. Got around for a different angle, let out a few yelps and immediately followed with the gobble shaker and a few slaps to the leg with the hat. That bird came a running, gobbling the entire way. Had heard about that in a seminar several years ago. It was a last ditch effort but it worked.

Heck yeah, that's worth having in my arsenal. Still learning as much as I can, tons of variables.

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2019, 10:37:11 AM »
The Gobble shaker is not something I do on a regular basis and most people would advise against it, but this instance was a last hour hail mary.

Offline EWUeagles

• Scout
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2019, 12:41:12 PM »

Heck yeah, that's worth having in my arsenal. Still learning as much as I can, tons of variables.

It's worth having for sure but make sure you know when to use it. If you're hunting on public land I would recommend using it almost never. When gaddy used it was probably the best since it was a last ditch effort at the end of the day. You don't want to call in a trigger happy turkey hunter. I have a jake and a hen decoy and I won't even put the jake decoy out on public land.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2019, 02:14:20 PM »
You can also make a realistic enough gobble with a box call.  As others have said, careful, even on private land.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2019, 06:35:33 PM »
I agree with the above posts. Like I said, this was a last hour of the season Hail Mary move on a bird that I had exhausted every trick in my bag on. Go big or Go home I said. The thing about Turkey hunting is it's fun, and a challenge. First you have to locate them, then you have to get them to come to you, using your best feminine yelps, cuts, purrs and any thing else you can think of. Had a few gals try this tactic on me in my younger days :chuckle: Then if you happen to hear a tom respond that is locked up, and also hear a hen with him, Mimic the hen as best as possible. Sound for sound and asap after she sounds off. She might be the dominant hen in the group. You might set up a "cat fight" which can bring her in, with the tom in tow, or others might show up to see what happens. The toms will generally come in silent.  It's all a game and that is what makes it so fun. I am by no means a turkey expert but I like to try different things, I hunt as much as I can and try different things. Bird or not, I had fun playing the game, and that's all that matters.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2019, 10:15:44 AM »
 :yeah: :tup:
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Bogie85

• Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/zbogatz
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2019, 02:06:22 AM »
I agree with the above posts. Like I said, this was a last hour of the season Hail Mary move on a bird that I had exhausted every trick in my bag on. Go big or Go home I said. The thing about Turkey hunting is it's fun, and a challenge. First you have to locate them, then you have to get them to come to you, using your best feminine yelps, cuts, purrs and any thing else you can think of. Had a few gals try this tactic on me in my younger days :chuckle: Then if you happen to hear a tom respond that is locked up, and also hear a hen with him, Mimic the hen as best as possible. Sound for sound and asap after she sounds off. She might be the dominant hen in the group. You might set up a "cat fight" which can bring her in, with the tom in tow, or others might show up to see what happens. The toms will generally come in silent.  It's all a game and that is what makes it so fun. I am by no means a turkey expert but I like to try different things, I hunt as much as I can and try different things. Bird or not, I had fun playing the game, and that's all that matters.

I definitely need to keep practicing at the calls, I got pretty good at the yelps with a box call. Purr's I am still working on. So much to learn, but I am hooked this is a yearly thing for me now.

Offline Big game archer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2019, 03:07:13 PM »
There's still some hot toms out there. Finally got the chance to get back over yesterday and filled my second tag today. Had a bachelor group of 4 big boys run in couple hours after first light. Also, jumped a hen with chicks today. It was pretty quiet out there for the most part, but once I found the toms, it was game on! And yes this was on public land.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal