Yes
180 (80.4%)
No
43 (19.2%)
Maybe
1 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 224

Voting closed: August 31, 2019, 10:50:15 AM

Author Topic: Well, did ya?  (Read 6733 times)

Offline elkchaser54

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Well, did ya?
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2019, 10:07:41 PM »
I'm 7 years in to the point game for archery elk and I apply for the blues so I understand needing patience but the Dayton tag over these 7 years has gone from 14 tags to 7 to 4 to 3 .... really sad to see my chances drop like a rock over the years. 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 10:13:22 PM by elkchaser54 »

Offline go4itlab

• Scout
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2019, 10:24:39 PM »
1st time not putting in. I switched to Montana residence last year and can't talk myself into wasting money in Washington

Offline HoofsandWings

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
  • RETIRED
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2019, 05:52:56 AM »
I'm in for all three elk categories. Haven't been putting in for the "Bull" category for the last few years, but did this year. I really can't afford to go elk hunting as a non-resident in other states, so I figure I better take my chances here. I have a fair number of Quality points (11) but if I was to go back to zero I'm not sure if I'd apply again.

I always put in for every kind of permit that is available to me.  The 65 and over category always gets a check.

Raffle too.
Gathering is easy. Hunting is a challenge.
WSF, WCA, RMEF, Rooster Booster, NWTF, NRA

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2019, 07:41:29 AM »
I'm 7 years in to the point game for archery elk and I apply for the blues so I understand needing patience but the Dayton tag over these 7 years has gone from 14 tags to 7 to 4 to 3 .... really sad to see my chances drop like a rock over the years.

The odds for Dayton last year with 7 points for archery was 0.74%, lower this year as you noted.   >:(

The good news is that you only need to apply for 93 years consecutively to have a 50% chance of drawing it during any of those years.   :o  That assumes your odds don't go down, which they unfortunately do.

Here's a calculator:

https://www.engadget.com/2010/01/13/drop-chance-probability/

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2019, 07:43:00 AM »
I put in for points only because i think this is going to be a long hot summer with very few elk migrating thru.I don't want to be drawn and then not see the elk.

Personally i wish WDFW would have multiplied the tags for the east side this year,Give all the high point hunters over say 7 points all their tags (for the hunters that want them anyway).The elk wont be their in my opinion in this point of the 7 year cycle.  :twocents:  :peep:
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2019, 08:03:16 AM »
I put in for points only because i think this is going to be a long hot summer with very few elk migrating thru.I don't want to be drawn and then not see the elk.

Personally i wish WDFW would have multiplied the tags for the east side this year,Give all the high point hunters over say 7 points all their tags (for the hunters that want them anyway).The elk wont be their in my opinion in this point of the 7 year cycle.  :twocents:  :peep:

Your assuming we hunt the migration, not that Washington has a real migration anyway. Its more of a wander.  :chuckle:

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2019, 08:10:25 AM »
just meandering along  :chuckle:

Anyway just my opinion on it,Not much to go on except past history.In most areas on the east side i doubt many will see elk in the gmu's that they put in for.The elk likely will be held up high until close to mid Dec.  :tup:
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline elkchaser54

• Scout
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2019, 08:14:46 AM »
So you're telling me my odds are .5% draw Dayton, or 99.5% buying Idaho elk tag. Haha I should have just done points only and saved the heartbreak

Offline bornhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF, Wa Cattlemens Assc, Stevens County Cattlemens Assc
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2019, 08:32:03 AM »
Have a ton of moose, sheep and goat points and 8 QBull and 10 Qdeer. Put in for everything for last time. This time next year will be Montana resident hunter. This year got the Montana big game combo so will be in quality hunt regardless. Wish I could donate my points to someone. WDFW should allow points to be donated to vets or disabled for those who have points that are moving out of state.

Offline lonedave

• Scout
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2019, 08:35:09 AM »
lonedave is the luckiest special permit applicant ever! WDFW should use Dave in its marketing.  3 goats!!

Shawn - Just persistent, which I think is kind of the essence of this thread!  :)

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2019, 11:00:33 AM »
At first I thought this was a poll to see if you applied for Mt View  :dunno:
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline Caseyd

• Site Sponsor
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2019, 11:56:47 AM »
No

Only way to stop creeping with the curve is bonus points

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2019, 12:29:51 PM »
I’m all in, but only for stuff with antlers and horns. No antleress, ewe, etc. I don’t need the meat bad enough to and don’t think it’s worth it to me personally to hunt antleress anything. 

Another interesting poll would be to see, of those who said no,  how many normally do but stopped this year or recently due to their displeasure with the state’s wildlife management practices.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2019, 12:32:05 PM »
lonedave is the luckiest special permit applicant ever! WDFW should use Dave in its marketing.  3 goats!!

And all before OIL!!
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2019, 01:16:11 PM »
I’m all in, but only for stuff with antlers and horns. No antleress, ewe, etc. I don’t need the meat bad enough to and don’t think it’s worth it to me personally to hunt antleress anything. 

Another interesting poll would be to see, of those who said no,  how many normally do but stopped this year or recently due to their displeasure with the state’s wildlife management practices.

There are a few anterless hunts I put in for.  2nd deer, 2nd elk (master hunter) and a muzzy cow permit.  May not use it, but no need to build up points and its the same area I plan to hunt anyway.  I don't put in for ewe, cow moose, or doe.  The master hunter deal worked out great last year.  I got a permit bull tag and a pumice plain 2nd cow tag.  Filled them both and both hunts were pretty darn fun!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]