collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: anyone here own a skinzit?  (Read 2565 times)

Offline Kc_Kracker

• Sauceman
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
anyone here own a skinzit?
« on: May 26, 2019, 08:37:04 AM »
I want one! if youv never seen one check it out

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: anyone here own a skinzit?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 09:21:12 AM »
THat things going to get really slimy fast unless your pressure washing and scrubbing all the fish with a wire brush first. Just get and electric fillet knife and you can fillet and skin a pan fish a lot faster then that gadget.

Offline duramax

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 09:44:09 AM »
Tried one on our walleye trip last year. Did not work as advertised. Went back to the trusty fillet knife.

Offline Kc_Kracker

• Sauceman
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 12:39:45 PM »
Tried one on our walleye trip last year. Did not work as advertised. Went back to the trusty fillet knife.
tried it once? well there is a learning curve

Offline Crunchy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 12:49:52 PM »
It might be worth a try if you have a mess of perch or crappie to skin.  Can get tedious otherwise.  A super sharp fillet knife is the only other way to go to make the job easier.

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 01:15:29 PM »
I can do it faster with a fillet knife than the demo guy does it with his gizmo, and I'm not half as fast as other people I know.  It might be a good item for someone who rarely cleans perch or crappie.  I'd put learning curve into filleting with a knife.

FWIW, a fast way to fillet and skin smallish fish is to make one smooth motion of cut from behind gills to just short of the tail, and do not cut the fillet free at the tail.  The fast people never stop the blade motion but lift and flip with it so that the slab flips over onto the skin side, still attached to the body.  Keep the knife moving the same direction and slide the blade between skin and meat. The skin connected to the body holds the fillet in place for skinning so there is no difficulty starting the blade between skin and meat. 

The fast people use the tip of the blade to flip the skinned fillet into a tub.  Even with stops between each of these steps, it is fast, smooth and easy.  I usually slice off the ribs before flipping into the tub but some go back and do all of the ribs at once, later.

Offline brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 02:14:24 PM »
tried it once? well there is a learning curve
I guess I'm missing something...you ask if anyone has ever used it and someone replied saying it a POS and you disregard their post because they "tried it once" ?  if I use something once and its a POS I don't go back and use it again.
beer---it's whats for dinner

Offline Kc_Kracker

• Sauceman
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 09:43:06 PM »
I guess I'm missing something...you ask if anyone has ever used it and someone replied saying it a POS and you disregard their post because they "tried it once" ?  if I use something once and its a POS I don't go back and use it again.
actually i asked if anyone owns one. and using one once and calling it junk it hardly a review. even in the videos they tell you that you have to learn to use it properly, just walking up and using one untrained im sure would yield poor results. Ive seen them used and was told the same thing, gotta learn to use it.

Offline brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 10:25:03 PM »
not trying to get in a peeing match with you but how do you know they didn't watch the videos and used it properly?  the guy said he used it and it was a POS.  How many times do you think he has to use it to give it a bad review ? if you want to buy it rock on and tell us what you think

Offline Crunchy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 10:27:50 PM »
If you never bought something because one person didnt like it you wouldnt buy anything :chuckle:  Wish that trick worked on the old lady.

Offline deerlick

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019, 10:56:56 PM »
That thing is slow as hell

Offline brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2019, 11:03:28 PM »
sorry to hear you're bagging on your old lady( I hate that term) but I guess that's your choice....once again I'm saying mistakes were made.  how many negative reviews have to be made for someone to listen that a product is a POS ?  spend your loot and buy it and tell us how it works

Offline 3dvapor

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2019, 12:17:22 AM »
lmao!  but i still want to believe it works like the video!

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2019, 08:26:41 AM »
I just bought one and haven't been out fishing (again) yet.  I bought it to save on walleye rib meat that's usually wasted during the filleting process.

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2019, 09:39:02 PM »
actually i asked if anyone owns one. and using one once and calling it junk it hardly a review. even in the videos they tell you that you have to learn to use it properly, just walking up and using one untrained im sure would yield poor results. Ive seen them used and was told the same thing, gotta learn to use it.

As Okanagan said, a sharp fillet knife will do it faster than the guy in the video. Sometime old school is the way to go.
Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal