collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Kapowsin  (Read 4197 times)

Offline Harleysboss

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF
Re: Kapowsin
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2019, 04:39:15 PM »
I happened upon a feed barrel. The only "sign" around it was the 30 big piles of Bear Poop in the road and chewed up trees!  I think I spooked a bear that was lounging for the afternoon. Backed out and went else where.  Have seen a total of 2 bears. One of which I missed my shot.. Will give an all day try for the last day tomorrow. Probably stop putting in for this permit.

Offline Thehowler

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2019, 05:36:15 PM »
Found a feed barrel myself in a open hunt able area. This barrel had a warning label printed for Hancock Forest Managment.

the one's I found had no labels at all.  Hancock claims they have no feeders out there, only the new land owner but I don't really believe them.  What did the warning say?

Yes, I did grab a pic!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MAGA, Never give up.

Offline BigCutty3

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2019, 05:37:23 PM »
Kapowsin is a complete joke anymore. Limited area open, way too many permits for available area to hunt, and they open what few walk ins are available to driving and they get pounded with pressure so the bears leave. 
And to top it off then they have active logging/thinning operations in the few areas that do open.  Some of these areas they thinned so much that no way will you be able to walk through them for years, they drop the trees and leave them there, Im talking nice 10"-12" diameter trees.  I'm no forester but the thinning ops took out way more trees than a bear ever will.
I hope the rumors about no more access permits are true so it forces me to quit being lazy and staying close to home.  I will be way better off leaving the place.  It was fun back in the day and I still kill some critters but its just not the same.  Do me a favor and pull the plug, Hancock.

Offline Alan K

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • University of Idaho Alumni
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2019, 06:11:59 PM »
Maybe they should.  :dunno:

Probably net the same amount auctioning off the dozen or so elk hunts and save on the extra road maintenance and bulk of security etc. that is required with all of the access permit people. But then of course there would be folks crying a river over loss of any access at all. They're damned if they do and damned if they don't it seems...

Offline Shaqdiesel

• Hunter
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2019, 06:43:34 PM »
Yes I also happened upon 2 bait barrels in open areas as well.
60% of the time, it works every time.

Offline oldschooltrucks

• Hunter
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2019, 07:17:56 AM »
I told them that I basically bought a $300 raffle ticket for elk hunting cause whats the point in trying to hunt anything else in there besides bear?  They attempted to justify the archery deer change because well, they need doe's to help make more bucks lol.  Now that everything is 2 point for deer and I have yet to ever see a buck in there, $300 for the opportunity to hunt bear when they close the place for fire danger is a joke.  By the time they reopen the place  most of the berries are gone and you're back to trying to figure out where the bears are  :bash:  Found 2 barrels as well that were filled.  Most likely wont be back unless major changes are made but I don't see that happening anytime soon.  Hancock imo are just greedy and want our money which is evident from this years spring bear season. 

Offline oldschooltrucks

• Hunter
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2019, 07:30:46 AM »
Kapowsin is a complete joke anymore. Limited area open, way too many permits for available area to hunt, and they open what few walk ins are available to driving and they get pounded with pressure so the bears leave. 
And to top it off then they have active logging/thinning operations in the few areas that do open.  Some of these areas they thinned so much that no way will you be able to walk through them for years, they drop the trees and leave them there, Im talking nice 10"-12" diameter trees.  I'm no forester but the thinning ops took out way more trees than a bear ever will.
I hope the rumors about no more access permits are true so it forces me to quit being lazy and staying close to home.  I will be way better off leaving the place.  It was fun back in the day and I still kill some critters but its just not the same.  Do me a favor and pull the plug, Hancock.

I was told by hancock that the recreation program was sooo expensive to run and maintain that they barely broke even selling access permits...I'm no accountant but based off what I've seen in there, I don't see how that is even possible.  Nothing has been updated, no new signage, their maps are still crappy and hard to read and hardly any of their roads are marked  :dunno:  Now that they're feeding on the south side, maybe they should close it down and be done with it altogether

Offline Harleysboss

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2019, 09:24:48 AM »
Hunted from dawn to dusk on Saturday. Not one deer sighted! my son and I glassed clearcuts of all ages until our eyes hurt. Lost count of the elk spotted but not one stinking deer of any age or sex. WOW!  Oh ya not one bear spotted either. Come to think of it not any fresh sigh of a bear..no poop no nothing.  This is my last Hancock Recreation pass. I will spend my hard earned cash on something else.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]