collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Is it legal to bait coyotes?  (Read 7184 times)

Offline chad24n

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Is it legal to bait coyotes?
« on: May 30, 2019, 09:06:54 AM »
So, I have a bunch of coyotes living behind my house and have considered baiting them. Is this legal??? I cannot find any info in wdfw regs referring to baiting coyotes and coyotes are not mentioned in RCWs... that I could find. No law = legal correct? Anyone have a take on this?

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
Re: Is it legal to bait coyotes?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 09:11:17 AM »
yes
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 09:15:35 AM »
Yes. I'll need to know where and how good of a backstop you have.  :bfg:

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 09:20:15 AM »
 :yeah:  :chuckle:
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline chad24n

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 10:41:14 AM »
Yes. I'll need to know where and how good of a backstop you have.  :bfg:

I'd kill it from a stand with an arrow! In a firearm restricted area, I've baited them before with a cam to see whats around but haven't gotten out with my bow yet. Sooo easy to bait, from my trail cam pics, after a week or two, they start visiting site regularly.. every day seems like.

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 10:47:24 AM »
Yip, stick em.

Offline hunterednate

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 11:09:20 AM »
Yep, it's legal. I've done it, too. They will eat almost anything, but I've had problems with vultures or ravens eating the bait before coyotes if I use meat scraps or animal carcasses.

Dry dog food is an excellent option, believe it or not. Coyotes love it, and other animals don't seem so interested in it. Find some cheap bulk stuff and you're in business!

Offline Gobble Doc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 12:11:15 PM »
Yep, it's legal. I've done it, too. They will eat almost anything, but I've had problems with vultures or ravens eating the bait before coyotes if I use meat scraps or animal carcasses.

Dry dog food is an excellent option, believe it or not. Coyotes love it, and other animals don't seem so interested in it. Find some cheap bulk stuff and you're in business!
Yep. Kibbles are the ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline chad24n

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2019, 12:12:35 PM »

Okay. I've seen the vultures... I have 13 of them in one cam shot. I get scraps from a butchery. After the vulture issue, I solved that problem by tying a couple pig heads to a tree with rope... vultures were still there but they couldn't carry THAT off. A bear eventually rip it away.

What do people do with their coyotes after harvesting some? Is there money in the hides? Are coyote parts legal to sell? I'm curious. Would love to see more deer numbers around my house... coyotes seem to be thick.

Offline hunterednate

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2019, 02:31:55 PM »

Okay. I've seen the vultures... I have 13 of them in one cam shot. I get scraps from a butchery. After the vulture issue, I solved that problem by tying a couple pig heads to a tree with rope... vultures were still there but they couldn't carry THAT off. A bear eventually rip it away.

What do people do with their coyotes after harvesting some? Is there money in the hides? Are coyote parts legal to sell? I'm curious. Would love to see more deer numbers around my house... coyotes seem to be thick.

I would love to see the Amazon delivery guy's face when he accidentally walks into your backyard!

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2019, 03:48:48 PM »

You can sell the hides but not now. They will not be prime enough for a fur buyer to be interested until the last week of October.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline chad24n

• Tracker
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2019, 04:34:04 PM »

You can sell the hides but not now. They will not be prime enough for a fur buyer to be interested until the last week of October.

Good to know, thanks!

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2019, 06:18:29 PM »
A little encouragement to help stoke the fire, keep in mind those numbers could be completely different next year, but still nice to dream a little.

https://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,239589.msg3205973.html#msg3205973
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2019, 07:08:43 PM »
Yes.  I've killed up to 28 coyotes on a single cow carcasss

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2019, 07:45:51 PM »
wow, what timing for a thread!!  I have noticed a "path" under my back fence the last few times mowing, threw a cam out a few days ago.  12:30-1:20 every night so far I have had a yote in the backyard.  trying to devise a plan now on how to take him out.  45yrds from closest hide I can use so might be a bit much for my bow right now (not been practicing (BAD BAD BOY!)  That and also it will be very dark that time of night so chances of seeing sights is about zero.

So even though prices might not be peak right now, how does one sell a yote once it is down?  I honestly do not want the one I have coming back all the time for the next few months,  rather remove from the gene pool now if I can.

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2019, 07:49:19 PM »
wow, what timing for a thread!!  I have noticed a "path" under my back fence the last few times mowing, threw a cam out a few days ago.  12:30-1:20 every night so far I have had a yote in the backyard.  trying to devise a plan now on how to take him out.  45yrds from closest hide I can use so might be a bit much for my bow right now (not been practicing (BAD BAD BOY!)  That and also it will be very dark that time of night so chances of seeing sights is about zero.

So even though prices might not be peak right now, how does one sell a yote once it is down?  I honestly do not want the one I have coming back all the time for the next few months,  rather remove from the gene pool now if I can.

Mount a light on a rifle and take him out

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2019, 08:10:41 PM »
yeah I am pretty sure ambient light from my neighbors garage will let me see the yote, but is not enough light to illum my bow sight.  Option #2 is my Savage model 10 with suppressor, and Makers Rex subsonic rounds.  I have to do a bit more checking on backstop before I go that route though.

Offline Gobble Doc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2019, 08:47:00 PM »
They come within 10 yards of my blind at night. Red porch light off deck. Red dot on .22 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2019, 09:00:48 PM »
yeah I might just train this one to come up closer to house.  he is pretty skittish on video, so we shall see.  Want to at least get him out of corner he is frequenting and into other side of yard so he can't duck under fence in half a second, that would make recovery a pita.  putting more cams out now as he came into cam from the lastnight so might have a second entrance I haven't noticed.  Wiley Coyote for sure.

Offline Iveexcaped3

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
    • Riverside Construction, LLC
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2019, 09:31:08 PM »
yeah I might just train this one to come up closer to house.  he is pretty skittish on video, so we shall see.  Want to at least get him out of corner he is frequenting and into other side of yard so he can't duck under fence in half a second, that would make recovery a pita.  putting more cams out now as he came into cam from the lastnight so might have a second entrance I haven't noticed.  Wiley Coyote for sure.
If he’s taking the same path just set up a snare and he’ll be dead in the morning. Use some dead branches to funnel him in and put some dog food on the other side

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2019, 10:24:00 PM »
If he’s taking the same path just set up a snare and he’ll be dead in the morning. Use some dead branches to funnel him in and put some dog food on the other side
I actually like that idea.  My concern there is I have a dog which can be let out at night by other family members to do her business.  normally she will not venture out to that back corner then, but if someone is tired and lazy they could leave her out longer and then she might explore.  I will gather more intel on where the yote is coming in/out and maybe do a snare though.

Offline Wazntme

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2019, 11:26:08 PM »
My neighbor said back in the day they would put a large treble hook on some heavy fishing line and hang it from a tree with some meat on it about 4 foot off the ground, I don’t know if I believe him but man that would suck to be that coyote!!

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2019, 02:08:33 AM »
I actually like that idea.  My concern there is I have a dog which can be let out at night by other family members to do her business.  normally she will not venture out to that back corner then, but if someone is tired and lazy they could leave her out longer and then she might explore.  I will gather more intel on where the yote is coming in/out and maybe do a snare though.

FWI, It is a Gross Misdemeanor to do this punishable by up to one year in jail and a $5000 fine.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2019, 02:13:04 AM »
My neighbor said back in the day they would put a large treble hook on some heavy fishing line and hang it from a tree with some meat on it about 4 foot off the ground, I don’t know if I believe him but man that would suck to be that coyote!!
Also illegal. I doubt it would work anyway.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline chad24n

• Tracker
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2019, 06:29:27 AM »
A little encouragement to help stoke the fire, keep in mind those numbers could be completely different next year, but still nice to dream a little.

https://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,239589.msg3205973.html#msg3205973

Those prices motivate, especially since I have tons of coyotes behind my house... would be easy to harvest. Timber company land behind me.

Offline chad24n

• Tracker
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2019, 06:33:39 AM »

If I were you, I'd set a treestand up back aways out of the open area of your yard, go to local butcher for scraps, pile the stuff up there, wait a week for the coyotes to get into a routine of feeding there and I guarantee they'll start showing up in daylight hours. All that easy food is too tempting, they won't want to constantly wait for dark to feed.. esp. if there is multiple coyotes and competition for the food (which there will be with birds I'm sure). I have baited them a couple times for fun and this always happens. They always show up during daylight hours after a few days to a week. Although, there doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason to what hour of the day they are showing up. In all likelihood, 3 or 4 hours in a stand per day and you'll see one after 2 or 3 days.

Offline chad24n

• Tracker
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2019, 06:35:22 AM »

Also from experience, they are skittish on video because they heard your camera trigger. May not be as skittish as you think.

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2019, 08:36:34 AM »

Those prices motivate, especially since I have tons of coyotes behind my house... would be easy to harvest. Timber company land behind me.

Those prices are for winter coats. No one wants their summer fur.

Offline HoofsandWings

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
  • RETIRED
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2019, 05:44:21 PM »
I am not sure if you watch the super bowl during the half. This was a couple of years ago.
Broadway Joe Namath wore this fantastic coat.  It was coyote fur.
Gathering is easy. Hunting is a challenge.
WSF, WCA, RMEF, Rooster Booster, NWTF, NRA

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2019, 11:54:40 AM »

Are they in summer coats yet?  It has been warming up, but I thought they might still have heavy coats right now?  The one I have on cam looks pretty good.  Just have to get him now, he has been absent for a few days.

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2019, 05:03:25 PM »

Are they in summer coats yet?  It has been warming up, but I thought they might still have heavy coats right now?  The one I have on cam looks pretty good.  Just have to get him now, he has been absent for a few days.

Might find one shedding but doesn't matter since the people that buy furs are pretty picky. The professional trappers are done before spring if that tells you anything.

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2019, 07:24:47 PM »
Westside coyotes are worth nothing so shoot them and leave them
East side dogs are prime December through February

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2019, 11:53:14 AM »
Westside coyotes are worth nothing so shoot them and leave them
East side dogs are prime December through February

I will take exception to this. Nov/Dec west side coyotes are good except of course ones with mange. I think you will find 1/3 to 1/2 that will have problems later in Dec. Good practice to look them over and be selective but there are decent coyotes on the west side, just don't expect to find a lot of heavies.
Bruce Vandervort

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal