collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Riffe Lake Coho.  (Read 4412 times)

Offline Old Man Yager

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, PRHAA
Re: Riffe Lake Coho.
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2019, 07:20:53 AM »
Good to see you killin em Smossy. Been wondering how the fishing is up there at Riffe. Looks like it's been good to you.
My Dad always said, " Get a bigger hammer "

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2019, 07:53:08 AM »
Nice catch!!  Good to see you out and about again, keep the good going!
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Slow down and enjoy the moment.
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2019, 07:58:53 AM »
Nice catch!!  Good to see you out and about again, keep the good going!
🤛 Honestly last few years really did a number on me but Im determined to get back at it all and get my old life back. Trust me this year will hold lots more active photos.
One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.

Offline Kc_Kracker

• Sauceman
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2019, 09:20:58 AM »
Those are gonna be great in the smoker!  :drool:

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2019, 09:54:00 AM »
My birdseye view showed a half dozen boats in front of the dam and another half dozen up in front of the island. Wasn't there long enough to see how the fishing was but the weather and water were fantastic!

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2019, 10:43:38 AM »
Your right. A lot of people call them Kokanee but they are coho. Those are all fish that come through Cowlitz falls dam after the adults spawn in the upper Cowlitz! You did good up there. The bass fishing can be lights out too!
I tried a few spots for smallmouth but couldnt get any hookups. The bass are just barely post spawn so some are being picky. Got to sit over some beds and watch the pairs guard it was cool. Couldnt get anythink to bite so me ans my buddy kinda were skimmin the shallows 2-6ft and easily 6lb+ monster females just hangin out. I got one photo from my gopro i shoved under the dock but its poor.

Love those Riffe coho's, they smoke up really nice. If you are looking for smallies head right out from the Mossy Rock boat launch around the island then into the bay. Lots of smallies in the bay.
There are also chinook in Riffe as well. We saw a kid catch a 26 pounder from the rocks by the dam about 10 years ago.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2019, 11:07:34 AM »
Your right. A lot of people call them Kokanee but they are coho. Those are all fish that come through Cowlitz falls dam after the adults spawn in the upper Cowlitz! You did good up there. The bass fishing can be lights out too!
I tried a few spots for smallmouth but couldnt get any hookups. The bass are just barely post spawn so some are being picky. Got to sit over some beds and watch the pairs guard it was cool. Couldnt get anythink to bite so me ans my buddy kinda were skimmin the shallows 2-6ft and easily 6lb+ monster females just hangin out. I got one photo from my gopro i shoved under the dock but its poor.

Love those Riffe coho's, they smoke up really nice. If you are looking for smallies head right out from the Mossy Rock boat launch around the island then into the bay. Lots of smallies in the bay.
There are also chinook in Riffe as well. We saw a kid catch a 26 pounder from the rocks by the dam about 10 years ago.
Lol This one?

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2019, 11:12:57 AM »
I used to live in the first house west of the Swofford Pond outlet.  Thanks for the memories, fun lake!
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2019, 12:13:11 PM »
I used to live in the first house west of the Swofford Pond outlet.  Thanks for the memories, fun lake!

The house at the end of the road with an old giant yellow bulldozer and a perfect view of swafford? Ive taken deer out of literally the closest public land to your property   :chuckle:

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2019, 04:45:35 PM »

The house at the end of the road with an old giant yellow bulldozer and a perfect view of swafford? Ive taken deer out of literally the closest public land to your property   :chuckle:
There wasn't a bulldozer in 2001, but the lawn borders Cowlitz Wildlife Area and it does have a great view of Swofford
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2019, 05:25:07 PM »

There wasn't a bulldozer in 2001, but the lawn borders Cowlitz Wildlife Area and it does have a great view of Swofford
Ahhh haha yeah cause Ive knocked on that door looking for hunting permission.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2019, 08:23:39 PM »

Lol This one?

Nice!
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
Psalm 144.1

Offline Birdgetter

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2019, 08:32:39 PM »

Lol This one?
Pig of a fish! Is that from 10 years ago?

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2019, 09:38:50 PM »

Lol This one?
Pig of a fish! Is that from 10 years ago?
Not that long ago, maybe 4 years ago? Almost makes you think people snatch stuff out of the river then pose on the lake for photos   :llam:

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2019, 10:17:14 AM »
We saw the kid who caught the 26 lb'r. We were trolling by the dam and stopped to watched him play it for about 15 minutes before he landed it. I don't know how long he had it on before we noticed it. I was surprised how bright it was when he held it up.
We saw them later at the cleaning station.

My rock,
Psalm 144.1

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by trophyhunt
[Today at 06:05:35 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter