Advertisement

Author Topic: Snakes  (Read 1503 times)

Offline Born2late

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Longhunter
Snakes
« on: June 05, 2019, 12:59:27 PM »
Wondering if anyone has seen anything like this before?

My dad and older brother just got back from walleye fishing over at the potholes with my uncle this weekend and had something weird happen. My dad looked out in the water and he said there was a snake coming at them so fast across the water they hardly had time to react. My brothers boat has a transducer thats mounted on a pole over the side of the boat.When the snake got to the boat it climbed write up that and was looking at them over the side of the boat. My dad said it was big, my brother used the fish measuring board to swing at it and knock it off the pole. They looked over the side and all around the boat and never saw it leave.They don't know where it went. Only thing they could guess is it hit the prop.

Anybody ever have a snake come across the water like that? Didn't think that is something they would do around here.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
Re: Snakes
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 01:05:31 PM »
Yes bowfishing several times, I have had 2 bull snakes and 1 rattle snake swim up to the boat. One of the bull snakes make it in. Luckly the rattle snake did not. Its nice having a 15' push pull to swing like thor's hammer :chuckle:

In the south cotton mouth with do it all the time they are nasty and have attitude and will come for you and work there hardest to get into the boat and bite you.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline cbond3318

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 01:12:05 PM »
Had a small bull snake swim over to our boat Bass Fishing Scooteney this weekend. He turned and headed for the cattails before trying to board.
Just tend your own and live.

Offline Born2late

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 01:20:09 PM »
I've heard of it down south but didn't realize the snakes here did that. I'll have to get my dad a harbor freight trash picker upper to fight them off.

Offline bigdave

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 02:26:46 PM »
My dad and I were canoe fishing up at Lake Ellen near Kettle falls. We saw a snake swimming toward us, when it got close, my Dad reaches out and flips it in the boat (my end of course) with his paddle!! It was a baby Rattler about 18 inches long!! First and only time I have ever swore at my Dad.  :chuckle:

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 02:50:48 PM »
My dad and I were canoe fishing up at Lake Ellen near Kettle falls. We saw a snake swimming toward us, when it got close, my Dad reaches out and flips it in the boat (my end of course) with his paddle!! It was a baby Rattler about 18 inches long!! First and only time I have ever swore at my Dad.  :chuckle:

Those babies are still dangerous. No Father's Day present for your Dad this year.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 03:03:13 PM »
I've had garter snakes, rattlesnakes and (back east) water snakes swim up to the boat.  Have never granted permission to board.  Killed a cottonmouth with a canoe paddle on a small Arkansas stream that was hanging head height from a branch and displayed its namesake white mouth, I was trying incoherently to tell the rear paddler to steer away but when we got within paddle reach I whacked it - fortunately hitting the snake/branch pushed the canoe away so it fell into the water instead of the canoe.  Hit it again since I figured it was badly injured and wanted to be sure it couldn't climb in with us. 

I didn't smell anything but the rear paddler said while he was watching in confusion and just registering the snake in the water, he inhaled some unbelievably foul musk.  I still maintain that was from the snake.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline ne kid

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 03:11:56 PM »
 Funny Lake Ellen would come up I've had that happen more than I could count on my hands there and one other time at Nichols lake on the rez. But lake Ellen buzzes.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 04:34:56 PM »
I had a snake try to get into my float tube in Lake Lenice. Scared the crap out of me.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline bigdub257

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF;Ducks Unlimited
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2019, 04:37:21 PM »
 :yike:

Offline ghosthunter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2019, 05:02:59 PM »
Messed up.
I am taking the KSG fishing in the kayak.

GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Birdgetter

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2019, 05:14:00 PM »
I had a snake try to get into my float tube in Lake Lenice. Scared the crap out of me.
Had the same thing happen to me in Wenas lake about a month ago, boy that was a great time. Thought for sure it was a rattler and couldn't wheel on him the the fly rod, by the time I saw him he was about two feet away, needless to say I just about went swimming that day.   :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Reidus
[Today at 02:20:11 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]