collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Would you put a stand here?  (Read 2819 times)

Offline JasonG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Would you put a stand here?
« on: June 09, 2019, 05:01:38 PM »
So I just bought a tree stand for this coming fall. This will be my second year hunting and hunting blacktail. I started late at 40 but I’m pretty driven in this. Any way I found some rubs in this area from last year. There are a couple of does in the general area. My question is would you hang a stand here? Why or why not ? Any suggestions help! Thanks Jason

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Would you put a stand here?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 05:16:10 PM »
Yes if you are seeing runs and sign I would put a stand in.
Maybe also put a trail cam in there to see what type of deer have been wondering around
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline JasonG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 05:25:53 PM »
Yes if you are seeing runs and sign I would put a stand in.
Maybe also put a trail cam in there to see what type of deer have been wondering around
I put a cam there this morning 👍🏻

Offline deerhunter_98520

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Old Salt
  • Chief Executive Head Anarchist of YKWTSASFFRO
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 05:26:58 PM »
Good start to answer your questions....hard to say yes or no without knowing what the area around it looks like
Official hunt-wa bigfoot field researcher!

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 05:50:52 PM »
If you have good consistent sign and the bucks are hitting it during shooting hours then go for it, but recognize the bucks could go nocturnal a day before the season and come by your stand at 3am when you aren't in it. I'm totally unfamiliar with the area in question, but if there's natural funnels, pinch points or transition areas nearby you might have more success than just a random tree on a flat. 

There's a good chance I would not hang a stand there.

Offline AL WORRELLS KID

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
  • The Ancient of Days Lives
  • Groups: Washington State Trappers Association
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 06:01:52 PM »
I would get that stand up before someone else does!  :chuckle:
Doug
"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom." Theodore Roosevelt

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 06:18:14 PM »
Bow hunting or rifle?  More than once I've seen an area like that with tall ferns, but the deer liked to bed in it.  I think they were getting to it in the dark, then get up mid morning and move out.  In that case you would need to get there super early in the dark and wait until shooting time without spooking.  Are you going to bait the area?  Where's Radsav and fishnfur?

Offline JasonG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 06:32:42 PM »
Bow hunting or rifle?  More than once I've seen an area like that with tall ferns, but the deer liked to bed in it.  I think they were getting to it in the dark, then get up mid morning and move out.  In that case you would need to get there super early in the dark and wait until shooting time without spooking.  Are you going to bait the area?  Where's Radsav and fishnfur?
Bow or muzzleloader it is a firearm restricted area.

Offline Alan K

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • University of Idaho Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 06:39:06 PM »
If you have good consistent sign and the bucks are hitting it during shooting hours then go for it, but recognize the bucks could go nocturnal a day before the season and come by your stand at 3am when you aren't in it. I'm totally unfamiliar with the area in question, but if there's natural funnels, pinch points or transition areas nearby you might have more success than just a random tree on a flat. 

There's a good chance I would not hang a stand there.

:yeah:

Offline JasonG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2019, 06:43:28 PM »
When you say funnels, can you explain what that would look like? Sorry Im trying to figure this out .

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2019, 06:52:52 PM »
"Things" like rocks, cliffs, blowdown, blackberry briars, etc that the deer would rather walk along the edge of than try to go through; a bottleneck in their possible choices of trail.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2019, 06:58:03 PM »
terrain features that force, or make convenient, a certain travel path that's fairly narrow yet gives some security and concealment.

So imagine a bunch of back yards on one side, a narrow wooded area in the middle, and open fields on the other side. 
The deer will travel down the narrow wooded path n the middle to avoid the back yard fences and feel more secure than going through an open field on the other side. 

Or instead of back yards it could be a rock outcropping that's difficult to go over on one side, so they go around it in the middle, but want to avoid going in the creek (or open area) on the other side so they get "funneled" into a narrow area. 

Offline The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2019, 07:04:20 PM »
Just from that picture I wouldn’t put a tree stand up there. The only time I use a tree stand is when I am after a certain buck I’m after and he is in the 6’-8’ huck. I would just still hunt the area, move super slow and use your binos a lot trying to see movement.

Offline chad24n

• Tracker
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2019, 04:10:48 PM »
My checklist:

1. Are there old rubs? Not just last years but years and year before... you can tell. If you have fairly fresh rubs from last year AND rubs where the trees are healing over, its a good sign that you have a spot a buck will call home every year. And when he passes, another takes his place.
2. If number 1 is favorable, like others have said look for bottlenecks/funnels, if you find this, start getting excited. If you don't find this but do find well used game trails, thats all I need to hang a camera.
3. Are they showing up on camera? If so, is it during the day when you can hunt them? And are they showing up frequently enough to give you a decent shot at catching them in daylight? This is the hard part for me typically. Archery hunting September I have the whole month so like to see the target buck on cam at the very least once a week... you are narrowed in on him if this is the case. Hang the stand. Any less than once a week and it starts becoming a long shot.

If most of this checklist checks off for you, keep it mind, keep a cam there for a good month and in the meantime move on to other areas. You may find something better. At the end of your scout season, if stand hunting is your game, just pick the spot that you feel gives you the best chance from all of the info you have gathered. I usually have 2, 3 or 4 spots... and each is different for sure. I'll pick the one that I can fit into my schedule. For example, I have a great spot with a big buck but its a 35min hike plus 25min drive to work (I work most days in Sept. but can hunt mornings), so its difficult cuz i only hunt mornings and need time to make it to work. Another spot is easier access but no big bucks.. yet.. forkies and does. This will be a go to to get meat but probably not a trophy.

I do like the looks of your pic but the pic is meaningless with ALL of the other info needed to be gathered for me.

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2019, 04:28:47 PM »
Stand should go next to a worn deer trail and preferably on a hill.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]