collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Grouse..It's G-R-O-U-S-E- Countdown has begun!  (Read 29642 times)

Offline ljsommer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • New hunter, hard worker.
  • Groups: NRA
Re: Grouse..It's G-R-O-U-S-E- time again almost
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2019, 02:44:23 PM »
If I wanted to get into grouse hunting how would I get started?

#1 look at the harvest rates in different GMUs around you
#2 pick one thats got the highest harvest rate near you
#3 read the rules/hunting hours on grouse hunting and study what they look like in the area you are hunting(spruce, ruff and blue)
#4 drive slow on dirt/gravel roads at legal time super early, drive slow and look for them in the road they will look like a road runner profile. They use the gravel to break down their food
#5 if you do see one get out of your truck(don't close the door if it stays still in the road) and shoot it.If it runs off the road close the door and move your truck off the road and chase that bird! often they will either be right under a spruce just off the road and if they're not listen for them moving. If you can't find them in the road in the morning take a walk in the woods on either small roads that can't be driven or on trails, go slow and stop every 30secs and listen for them moving. also look for areas with water and green under growth.
#6 when you shoot one step on the wings, grab the feet and slowly pull up all of the inners should come out. find the joint on both sides of the wings and twist it till it comes off(or use a multitool or knife if you need) then rip the breast feathers/skin off the breast meat.
#7 go home take the breast off the bone and make grouse nuggets
#8 enjoy.

Wow thank you for that response! I live in Tacoma, (and forgive me for not doing this legwork right now, I am travelling and only have my phone) but is grouse mostly the eastern half of the state? How far would I need to drive to get to a decent harvest rate gmu?

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2019, 02:50:14 PM »
Grouse harvest isn't reported by GMU. It's by county.

Offline linxx77

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • President-Washington Waterfowl Association
    • www.facebook.com/linxx77
    • Washington Waterfowl Association-Spokane Facebook
  • Groups: Washington Waterfowl Association
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2019, 03:16:15 PM »
Grouse seems like something fun to get into. If anyone is going near Spokane, I'd love to tag along!
orbis non sufficit

Offline Platensek-po

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2019, 03:27:07 PM »

#3 read the rules/hunting hours on grouse hunting and study what they look like in the area you are hunting(spruce, ruff and blue)
#4 drive slow on dirt/gravel roads at legal time super early, drive slow and look for them in the road they will look like a road runner profile. They use the gravel to break down their food
#5 if you do see one get out of your truck(don't close the door if it stays still in the road) and shoot it.If it runs off the road close the door and move your truck off the road and chase that bird! often they will either be right under a spruce just off the road and if they're not listen for them moving. If you can't find them in the road in the morning take a walk in the woods on either small roads that can't be driven or on trails, go slow and stop every 30secs and listen for them moving. also look for areas with water and green under growth.
#6 when you shoot one step on the wings, grab the feet and slowly pull up all of the inners should come out. find the joint on both sides of the wings and twist it till it comes off(or use a multitool or knife if you need) then rip the breast feathers/skin off the breast meat.
#8 enjoy.

Wow thank you for that response! I live in Tacoma, (and forgive me for not doing this legwork right now, I am travelling and only have my phone) but is grouse mostly the eastern half of the state? How far would I need to drive to get to a decent harvest rate gmu?

I hunt them in the OP with great success
“Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary.”

If you are not willing to die for freedom then take the word out of your vocabulary.

Offline Cab

• Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2019, 03:32:55 PM »

#8 enjoy.

Bobcats right it's county not gmu that's my bad. These maps should help in terms of what kind of grouse you are going to be hunting based on location. For county info around you this is from 2017

Gray Harbor:2,300
Pierce:1,500
Skagit:1,900
Lewis:1,900
Mason:1,800

Now the top location in the state are
Stevens:7,300
Ferry 5,600
Yakima at 2,500

the rest are below 2k and most are around 1,000 and change to give you an idea. So you're in a good area

Map 1: Ruff
Map2: Spruce
Map 3: Dusky
Map 4: Sooty

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2019, 08:03:23 PM »
Yay, Stevens.  I have not specifically targeted them before. It would be fun to take my oldest.

Offline Dave Workman

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2019, 02:43:53 PM »

WHOA! Time out. 
Shooting grouse in the road or along the road in this state is illegal.
Get off the road.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2019, 04:06:50 PM »

WHOA! Time out. 
Get off the road.

I think you need to "WHOA". Shooting grouse in and along side many roads here in WA ia not illegal.  As an outdoor writer, I'd be very careful telling other sportsman that something is illegal if it isn't. :twocents:

I do however always look forward to your annual grouse topic, as chasing high country blues is near the top of my list. :tup:

Offline Platensek-po

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2019, 04:47:58 PM »
Public roads. I believe he is talking about logging roads wich is not illegal.
“Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary.”

If you are not willing to die for freedom then take the word out of your vocabulary.

Offline T-Bone

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2019, 07:36:13 PM »
Grouse seems like something fun to get into. If anyone is going near Spokane, I'd love to tag along!

Why not get yourself a map of the Colville N.F.; use the info from these prior posts and do some scouting? Trust me, walk a few gated off roads or slash roads in that N.F. and you find grouse.
" America will never be destroyed from outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln

Offline T-Bone

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
" America will never be destroyed from outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2019, 09:07:45 PM »

Public roads are not illegal to hunt grouse on.

Offline Platensek-po

• Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2019, 09:37:47 PM »
It’s not illegal to discharge a firearm on or across a public road???

Offline Cab

• Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2019, 09:22:49 AM »

Bingo, hence why I also mentioned he needs to read the rules.

Offline The Marquis

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2019, 11:56:48 AM »

WHOA! Time out. 
Get off the road.

I think you need to "WHOA". Shooting grouse in and along side many roads here in WA ia not illegal.  As an outdoor writer, I'd be very careful telling other sportsman that something is illegal if it isn't. :twocents:

I do however always look forward to your annual grouse topic, as chasing high country blues is near the top of my list. :tup:

The state calls grouse harvest something like "Take em where they are".  Of course maintained roads are off-limits naturally, but grouse don't often feed on pavement.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Yesterday at 09:12:44 PM]