collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: HELP: Wife drew Mt. Spokane North Bull Moose  (Read 7520 times)

Offline Tenkara

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: HELP: Wife drew Mt. Spokane North Bull Moose
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2019, 12:26:28 PM »
How much do they charge for the IEP pass? I didn't see the price in the link.

Offline HereDuckyDucky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2019, 12:28:12 PM »
How much do they charge for the IEP pass? I didn't see the price in the link.

I think it's $80 for a family pass.

RW

Offline Tenkara

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2019, 12:33:32 PM »
Thank you.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2019, 12:47:36 PM »
Are there good places to stay near hunting access? I was looking at Spirit Lake, but we're up for a good tent spot if there's camping to be had.

RW

I've had hunters stay at Sacheen Lake, you might also check Jerry's on Eloika Lake, it's closer., and there are resorts on Diamond Lake too.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline benhuntin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2019, 01:21:48 PM »
Are there good places to stay near hunting access? I was looking at Spirit Lake, but we're up for a good tent spot if there's camping to be had.

RW
Newport is pretty close. Couple hotels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Offline TL23

• Pilgrim
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2019, 01:41:33 PM »
I drew a cow moose tag. I’d be happy to share any information or bull intel I pick up along the way. If those of you who drew can get me your contact info I can relay anything I get to you. Even willing to help pack out if I’m up there at the same time.

Offline benhuntin

• Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2019, 02:06:32 PM »
I drew a cow moose tag. I’d be happy to share any information or bull intel I pick up along the way. If those of you who drew can get me your contact info I can relay anything I get to you. Even willing to help pack out if I’m up there at the same time.
That cow tag is way harder to fill than the bull tag.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2019, 02:31:57 PM »
That cow tag is way harder to fill than the bull tag.

+1!
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline lonedave

• Scout
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2019, 04:10:42 PM »
Congrats to you and your wife.  I did my hunt in 2015 solo and ended up with a bull on the ground about a mile off the road.  Here's what I can add:
1. If her hunt is in October, learn how to call.  (it's not tough at all to mouth call - youtube!)

2. Carry something to scrape trees and brush.  A shoulder blade works well, but lot's of other smaller and lighter things work too.  Use it along with calling.

3. Spend some money on at least one good pack that is comfortable under loads of 60 - 100+ pounds.  I have an EXO 5500 and it worked great, but there are several others to look at.

4. Carry lots of rope or at least have it in the vehicle.  I don't know how many pieces I had in use at the same time, but it was probably 10 sections at least.  I don't think one person can roll one over by themselves, but maybe 2 people can.

5. Have a lantern and extra gas in the truck to bring in to the kill site, or at least a couple good flashlights or headlamps.  I think a lantern plus headlamp is best.  I had a bear come by huffing at me in the dark and the extra light was welcome.

6. Learn how to do the gutless process.

7. Bring plenty of meat sacks.  I had 8 or 10 and used 7.

8. Have a cooler ready to hang or at least store meat while you cut it up.  I had access to a friends walk-in cooler and it was nice to have as it takes a while to process that much meat if you're only one or two people.

9. Extra freezer space is very handy.

10. Get ready to be eating some excellent meat for quite a while.

11. Get ready for one of the most fun hunts you'll ever have and if you have the time available, consider not shooting the first bull you run into.  I shot an average bull of 38" the first day and kind of kicked myself just a little afterwards for not waiting and enjoying more hunting days.  I was in the Kettle range and the permit allows 2 full months to hunt.

Offline Alan K

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • University of Idaho Alumni
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2019, 06:40:00 PM »
Haven't been there in several years, but my dad drew it a long time ago before the north/south split, then my sister drew the north side 8-10 or so years ago. I'd highly suggest carrying her ammo for her so she doesn't get an itchy trigger finger. A lot of people who draw tip over small bulls on the first day, and more power to them if they're happy with it, but it's a once in a lifetime deal so I'd try and hold for a 40"+ bull at the least.

Calling isn't all that hard to do, and would highly suggest it on the north side. At least when we were up that way it was mostly timber, so calling was the way to go. I'm sure things have changed since though, may be some logging you can see into by now.

And bring along anyone who wants to come along, you'll be happy you did when it comes time to pack!

Offline benhuntin

• Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2019, 07:46:19 PM »
Haven't been there in several years, but my dad drew it a long time ago before the north/south split, then my sister drew the north side 8-10 or so years ago. I'd highly suggest carrying her ammo for her so she doesn't get an itchy trigger finger. A lot of people who draw tip over small bulls on the first day, and more power to them if they're happy with it, but it's a once in a lifetime deal so I'd try and hold for a 40"+ bull at the least.

Calling isn't all that hard to do, and would highly suggest it on the north side. At least when we were up that way it was mostly timber, so calling was the way to go. I'm sure things have changed since though, may be some logging you can see into by now.

And bring along anyone who wants to come along, you'll be happy you did when it comes time to pack!
Completely different moose population than when you hunted it.

Offline sagerat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2019, 09:13:32 PM »

So what are you saying? Shoot the first bullwinkle?

Offline benhuntin

• Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2019, 09:24:46 PM »

So what are you saying? Shoot the first bullwinkle?
Maybe. I would know what I was looking for and be happy when I found that bull. I guarantee I am the most picky moose hunter on here and have seen a ton of moose. The first bull you see may be the biggest in the unit.

Offline Todd6117

• Pilgrim
    • N/A
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2019, 11:19:53 AM »
I had this tag last year. I spent 11 days hunting it .  Definitely get the IEP pass.  This is a way easier hunt in November than in October. We hunted on October 1 expecting the rut to be going but it wasn't. Also, in October you can't see very far because of the vegetation. If I was to do it again I wouldn't start hunting until November. By then you can see a lot farther because the leaves are off the trees. I passed two very small bulls initially and finally settled for a very average 37 incher.  I was happy to get it given it was an OIL tag. Both game wardens I spoke with were extremely helpful so it does pay to talk with them if you can.  Hunting the north side Blanchard seemed to be the most fruitful.  You will have a great time. Moose meat is fantastic!

Offline B4noon

• Hunter
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2019, 12:28:33 PM »
Hunted it a couple times on youth cows over the years, would agree november is usually better however we saw great bulls in early october as well,  big thing to avoid is general deer season it will lock them down with all the traffic. If possible i would spend as much time oct1st-the 10th then plan on last 2 weeks of november,  bit of caution be aware that alot of years in late october  early november weather conditions will usually make for soft roads and IEP will shutdown roads to ATV traffic only so if you don't have access to ATV's I would work on that or plan to spend as much time in there in October as you can before gate closure becomes a risk.  I pack a 3000' role of mule tape and a block and tackle worth the investment.  Most resorts were shutdown for the year we stayed at North Spokane RV Park  GOOD LUCK will be fun 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]