collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Green River Watershed Elk  (Read 5302 times)

Offline GWA Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Green River Watershed Elk
« on: June 13, 2019, 12:30:20 PM »
Finally got drawn for this hunt after years of trying. Anyone have any advice on this hunt they could PM? I know I can’t scout it but any info would be helpful. I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Offline Ridgerunner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Green River Watershed Elk
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 12:32:29 PM »
Wish I knew more, I think they like to get you in and out as quick as possible in there, put the time in and you should be successful, if you need a ride along one day let me know, I'm not far from the gate and am chomping to get in there on a hunt.

Offline GOcougsHunter

• Longhunter
  • Groups: MHPP, MHAG, HEI, RMEF, DU, USVEMG
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 12:40:21 PM »
My son pulled a deer youth tag in there a few years ago.  No scouting.  But, take some time and talk to the enforcement folks prior to the opening of the gates.  They will give you a good idea of where to start.  My son and I spent the morning stalking a couple of elk herds walking up the "closed" roads.  Some very nice Bulls in there. He then tagged his doe around 1 PM on the first day.  The open areas of the power lines provide great glassing opportunity.
Introduce someone new to hunting this year.

Offline BeerBugler

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 01:13:05 PM »
Wish I knew more, I think they like to get you in and out as quick as possible in there, put the time in and you should be successful, if you need a ride along one day let me know, I'm not far from the gate and am chomping to get in there on a hunt.

:yeah: Experieced hunter, live 20 min from gate. Will pack elk meat in exchange for a trip in there.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 01:16:32 PM »
Ask them where the elk fields are, beautiful areas.  They also let you hunt in there all week if you kill a bull early, you can hunt cats and bears!
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Sutherland

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 01:46:17 PM »
Congratulations that's going to be a fun hunt!

Offline sagemd

• Hunter
  • Groups: 98446
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 04:11:54 PM »
Pm sent.

Offline sagerat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 09:37:50 AM »
I would double check on that shotgun, I don’t believe it’s legal to hunt the grouse. Bear and cougar yes but that’s it...

Offline Furee65

• Hunter
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 04:28:04 PM »
If I had that tag again my goal would be to be the first person at the gate so that you can get to the main feeding fields preferably the one in the middle of my picture as there were 2 nice bulls taken there on the opening morning.  The gale creek area has lots of elk and is where I got my bull.  One of the guards told me to hang around the fields because even when those elk get spooked it usually doesnt take them that long to head back into the general area of the fields. 

Offline Tikka Bird Dog

• birddog
  • Business Sponsor
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF, Seattle Childrens Cancer Research, Wounded Warrior Project
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 08:19:05 AM »
Drew modern deer permit in there years ago.  Go talk to the security guys weeks before the hunt.  Generally they are happy to give advice. If you wait until opening morning of your hunt, they are busy trying to check everyone in and won't have the time to really give good insight on where to go.   I'd have a bear tag in your pocket also and a shotgun for grouse.

Bad advise on the grouse! that's a no go on that hunt. you will see a ton of grouse, but they are off limits.

Offline wapiti22

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Hunter
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2019, 05:07:43 PM »
They give bus tours through the area. My wife and I took one last August on a Sunday morning. they put you on a school bus and drive thru the watershed. You stop at several spots and look around. Last about two hours.  Might give you an idea what the area looks like.

Offline BeerBugler

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2019, 07:08:30 PM »
They give bus tours through the area. My wife and I took one last August on a Sunday morning. they put you on a school bus and drive thru the watershed. You stop at several spots and look around. Last about two hours.  Might give you an idea what the area looks like.

Can you supply some info? I’d never heard of this and would be interested. I saw the Cedar river watershed tours but nothing about the Green.

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2019, 08:41:11 PM »
Great tag! Make sure to post up post hunt pics and story. :tup:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline wapiti22

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Hunter
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2019, 10:52:53 AM »

Can you supply some info? I’d never heard of this and would be interested. I saw the Cedar river watershed tours but nothing about the Green.

Got my Rivers mixed up. We did the Cedar River tour out of North Bend.

Offline LayMdown

• Tracker
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2019, 11:32:08 PM »
I'd go with Furee65's info, And if your not the first in pretty much any place you get out of the truck past the feeding fields to the town of Lester toward the tracks we ran into elk looking for a buck for my sons youth tag a couple years ago. And definitely don't over look the Gale loop road, we saw elk there in the bigger timber.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal