collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: I Drew East Weneha Muzzleloader Quality Elk  (Read 5665 times)

Offline Huntin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Re: I Drew East Weneha Muzzleloader Quality Elk
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2019, 11:21:12 PM »
Western Life Outfitters, Mtncook on here would have my deposit on its way. Drop camp in correct location will allow you to use legs and energy covering country. Been on three tag hunts in Mtncook’s area since 2012, first without drop camp and last two with drop camp. Hunting in the “Blues” takes grit and no better feeling to hit base camp every 3-4 days to refuel vs. hiking in and out. Lastly, if all things come together and success has been accomplished, there is no better sound then Mtncook’s pack string arriving to take over the heavy loads, especially this unit!

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2019, 07:17:53 AM »
You drew my tag!

jkjk... but this was my first choice this year.

Congrats and I hope you pull out a monster.

Offline Duckhunter14

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, WSF Life Member, RMGA
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2019, 07:58:28 AM »
Western Life Outfitters, Mtncook on here would have my deposit on its way. Drop camp in correct location will allow you to use legs and energy covering country. Been on three tag hunts in Mtncook’s area since 2012, first without drop camp and last two with drop camp. Hunting in the “Blues” takes grit and no better feeling to hit base camp every 3-4 days to refuel vs. hiking in and out. Lastly, if all things come together and success has been accomplished, there is no better sound then Mtncook’s pack string arriving to take over the heavy loads, especially this unit!

Packed a bear out of there a few weeks ago and man we were wishing we had horses! We spoke about this exact thing!  :yeah: if we draw the bull tag we're hiring a packer to bring us in and be on call if we drop an elk. Trying to pack one out of one of those holes would be miserable and a good chance you'd lose meat if it was warm.
The testing of your faith produces perseverance

Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!

Offline High Climber

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2019, 08:46:21 AM »
Good luck to you  :tup:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2019, 09:33:26 AM »
Get MtnCook lined up to pack your bull out. It’s well worth the $$.

Pack it out yourself! Way more rewarding to do it on your own. Packed many a bull out of that unit.  It has taken many days on some hunts, but a great feeling that you accomplished it on your own.

No idea of the man's abilities or the circumstances. Was just throwing it out there for him as an option. I'd hate to see a bunch of spoiled meat because it's 80 degrees in September and it takes you 4 days to get the meat out.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Shooter McBobcat

• Tracker
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2019, 11:36:36 AM »
Thanks for the info, folks.  I have a string of pack goats that I've used for years, but I'm still concerned about meat care if the weather is warm.  I've been 100% on bull elk in central Idaho during archery season for the last several years, and my goats have packed all the meat out perfectly.  But I hunt at 9k feet in Idaho.  I'm concerned with how warm it will be in the Blues.  I've never hunted there before.

I hike approx 30 miles a week year round and train all year for elk in the Idaho high country, so my fitness level is already solid.  I hike daily and will be ready for this.  I'm not concerned about fitness.  I just have to get my pack goats fitness level up better.

Is it pretty warm in early October in the Blues usually?

How vocal will the bulls be during muzzleloader there compared to September?

Those of you who had a rough time with the East Weneha Muzzle tag, what made it so challenging?

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2019, 03:54:51 PM »
Think ill be tagging along on a scouting mission or two.  Curious what the muley / whitetail ratio is in this unit.  I see there is a general whitetail season down there, but is it mostly muleys? Dont want to thread jack too much, if anybody whos spent time down there doesnt mind filling me in, a pm would be appreciated.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2019, 04:02:21 PM »
Sounds like you’ll be just fine!  Heck, there could be snow by then, who knows.  Seen a bull that was a tank this year hunting spring bear, he was 500 yards off the road.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline elkchaser54

• Scout
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2019, 10:16:22 PM »
Yea I've seen snow falling up there in September.  High temps even at its hottest during archery season are mid 70s . Which if you get it cool overnight and out of the shade you should be fine. I think I've seen your posts on another forum with those goats and they always make me laugh and smile . I'd hit the hills with those goats anytime man ! Good luck to ya .

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2019, 10:26:58 PM »
MT view muzzy last year it tried to snow once towards the end up on top. Some days it never got above 42 deg. I woulda never worried about meat spoiling on my hunt

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2019, 09:41:33 PM »
I shot a bull in mid-September in Mt. View (next door) down in the canyon.  Didn't have any problems with meat care and I was packing the meat by myself. With goats, you should have no problems with meat so long as you're careful. Sounds like you have the experience, are in shape, and know what you're doing. Should be a great hunt.

Online elkrack

• Framer
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2019, 10:59:05 PM »
How many goats are you running? Always been interested in goats. Good luck on the hunt I’m sure it’s going to be a blast :tup:
life's tough its tougher if your stupid (john wayne)

If you ain’t first your last☝🏻

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2019, 09:17:40 AM »
I've been in the mountains in the snow in September before. I'm totally aware of the possibility of snow. I shot my goat on October 28 at almost 6k' in the south cascades and it was 70 degrees too, so anything is possible. I would definitely be prepared for any kind of weather. I'm sure it goes without saying.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Shooter McBobcat

• Tracker
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2019, 04:21:47 PM »
How many goats are you running? Always been interested in goats. Good luck on the hunt I’m sure it’s going to be a blast :tup:

I have 6 full grown seasoned pack goats and I have packed multiple bulls out of central Idaho with them.  I just have to get them in shape again.  It's a constant battle to get goats in shape.  Pack goats are fun and practical, but they are a lot of work.  At least getting to basecamp in Weneha will be easier than my camp in the Sawtooths.

Offline gadwall

• Scout
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2019, 09:35:08 PM »
Well put JWEBB.  I agree.
Duck Buster
Mule Deer Hunter
Turkey Camp Cook
Time in the outdoors is a privilege to be shared with our families and friends

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics