collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: First experience with Swiss  (Read 1372 times)

Offline MountainDevil54

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
First experience with Swiss
« on: June 19, 2019, 08:37:31 AM »
At the rendezvous ( Santa Fe Trail Rendezvous ) one of my lube dealers showed up with a tent full of muzzleloader supplies and what did he have with him? Swiss of course! He had single 1lb cans and then pulled out a kilo ( 2.2lbs ) of 3fg swiss for $42! I ended up buying 2 of them.

I got excellent accuracy, even during the booshway shoot, until I hit 173 yards and the ol fifty ran outta steam :lol:

It's no where near as clean as folks claim. With a greased patch, 4 shots and she was getting real sticky down near the breech. My buddies great plains rifle experienced the same fouling as well, so we switched to a tester bottle of Buckskinners patch lube ( water based ) I had on hand. After that, loading was not an issue.

Very pleased with the powder and especially the price. I'll shoot it mostly for hunting, but do plan to run it over the chronograph.

Yesterday I went out to my new 100 yard bench and sat down with my Traditions St.Louis Hawken.

Accuracy was horrible! Im talking a 17" target and that sucker was all over the place.

Then I remembered that it was doing this at rendezvous on a trail walk when targets were only 20 - 30 yards away and missing by a foot.

I went and bought the swiss and changed out the knight red hot to a tresco nipple. Everything was fine. I figured the Pyrodex P I was shooting at the time, was bad.

It's the friggin knight red hot nipple that was the cause of the piss poor accuracy!

I changed it out on the range today and shot a 4" group right off the bat.

70gr 3fg swiss is pretty hot and shredding my .020" patches, so I changed targets and dropped the charge down to 60gr 3fg swiss.

100 yard results. The bullseye is 3" diameter just to give you an idea on group size.

Next time out I will set up an orange bullseye on brown paper, so its a little easier to see. I have a  german silver front sight and that white back ground made for some real iffy aimining.

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
Re: First experience with Swiss
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 09:36:10 AM »
 :tup: how was the rendezvous?

Offline MountainDevil54

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 09:44:48 AM »
awesome!

Offline MountainDevil54

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 02:48:47 PM »
It's hunting accuracy, but I am not to pleased with it. This rifle normally keeps pyrodex and goex loads in to a 1" or less 5 shot group at 50 yards.

This Swiss 3fg is some super hot powder and on the range yesterday, saw that it was blowing apart my .020" patches with ease.

The fouling build up near the breech is also a huge issue I have with Swiss. It's no cleaner than the supposedly "dirty" goex. IMO, I find Swiss to be filthy compared to the nastiest of nasty.... Pyrodex. At least with Pyrodex and my anti rust lube, I took over 30 shots at rendezvous without the bore getting tight.

Again, it's fine hunting accuracy, but not a match winner by any means.

I plan on going out later this evening when the sun dips behind the mountain and this time, up the charge to 70 grains 3fg swiss but this time... Use a wad and see how that does for accuracy.

I'll also use my anti rust hunting lube and swab between shots.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by timberghost72
[Today at 08:55:00 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 08:43:32 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]