collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Deep 6'ed a fishing pole  (Read 2349 times)

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
Deep 6'ed a fishing pole
« on: June 15, 2019, 08:10:20 PM »
Well, I finally did it. I set some poles down next to my boat when I was cleaning it and one toppled off between my boat and the slip. I tried to grapple for it but it had no fishing line to hook to, I have a diver that is going to get it for me tomorrow.

Anyone here have any great fishing stories about loosing a pole that they want to share?

Offline WoolyRunner

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
  • Groups: NRA
Re: Deep 6'ed a fishing pole
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 08:20:34 PM »
I lost one in Willapa Bay couple years ago. Went to put it in the rod holder and it just slipped outta my hands...

Online Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 08:29:38 PM »
G-Loomis 1265, Tekota 500 LC full with braid.  Was fishing Westport.  Crazy fishing but we were only catching 5-7 pounders, so I had the drag cranked down and reeling them in and releasing so we could try to get on bigger fish.  Decided to change spots.  Got to new spot, and I got the kicker going, put on a fresh cut plug, and line in the water.  Fish were shallow so deep 6, flasher, and cut plug was the ticket.  I turned to see what was taking the other two guys so long.  turned back around and my rod was going off bent in a half circle in the rod holder.  Grabbed it and pulled it out of the rod holder.  As I did this the fish took off and pulled the rod right out of my still greasy fingers from the herring.  Watched as a 550 dollar set up was being pulled to the bottom.  Almost jumped in for it but didnt think death was a good trade off for my fav rod.  All because of having my drag cranked down too hard from those small fish.

Offline ckr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 09:41:03 PM »
My all time best was bank fishing the Kalama River with a buddy.  I was all ready to go and he wasn't.  He had his nice new Lami on the ground setting it up behind me.  Well I went to cast and accidentally hooked his new rod and sent it into the middle of the river never to be seen again.  That cost me more than a few Benjamins

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 09:46:58 PM »
Left on in a clear cut once on the way out of a high mountain lake, sat down for a break got up and after I was half way down the Mtn that’s steep I realized I left it. Went back later and the fireweed was so thick it was futile to even look for it. :bash:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline highside74

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 10:10:03 PM »
I was 9 my brother 14 we were at the lake bay marina with my mom and stepdad on his boat for the weekend. We wanted to get in the water and they said no. So my brother convinced me to drop the pole in the water so I could jump in after it. That really didn't work out in my favor. Fun memory now.

Offline CackleBird98

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 10:19:58 PM »
Laid one on a dock I was fishing off of as a kid, took a few steps away, looked over and all I saw of it was the bubbles coming up outta the reel.. 

Watched my dad go to set the hook on a walleye, vertical jigging, as his hand came up to set the hook, rod tip stayed down on the fish, and it slipped out of his cold hands, kinda flies into the air, he attempts to catch it which only succeeded in shoving it farther away from the boat.  Basically looked like he threw it.  Then he got pissed when I laughed  :chuckle: :chuckle: :dunno:

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 10:50:45 PM »
Took older daughter fishing starting at age 3/4.
Super attentive.
Great fisherwoman.

Took oldest son starting at age 3/4.
To this day, the most intense fisherman in my extended family.

Took middle son starting at age 3/4.
First trip with this kid (took all 3)........
I always start the youngest kid first.
We're lake fishing in my little aluminum boat.
I bait his pole and cast it out.
I start working on the next one......  and notice he's hitting his sister with the pole.....  not good for detecting a bite, but good for screwing things up.
I tell him "Chaise stop".  I take the pole, put it down and tell him to watch it.

I get the 2nd pole out and as I start working on the 3rd pole, I notice that he's playing with it like a fencing sword.    I grab it, put t down and tell him not to play with it.   I get the 2nd pole out.

As I start on the 3rd pole, I notice that he's got the pole in his hand and is drawing patterns in the water with the pole tip.

I lost it......

I rather sternly said "Chaise, put your pole in the water!"

Without hesitation, he threw it in the lake.

I couldn't be mad for a moment.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Romulus1297

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 11:15:50 PM »
Watched a nephew’s borrowed rod and reel sink 150 feet in Alaska. Almost snagged it.

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 11:28:14 PM »
I accidentally kick a brand new, custom made bass rod overboard in 12' of water.  I dove in and got it back after several tries.

Offline elkchaser54

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2019, 12:38:52 AM »
My buddy and I went out on in the canoe with a case of beer, 2 fishing poles, our paddles, bucket of minnows and good time on the mind.  Later in the day after we caught probably 10 bass and another dozen crappies or so. Right about when the beer is almost out and were paddling to a new spot to anchor at and bobber fish . I reach back for my pole and cant find it , I say to my buddy "dude where's my pole?" ..... he looks around and goes "bud were in a canoe, not very many hiding places in here."  .. . I quickly then realize that the only place it could be is in the lake. We start to paddle back where we  were and sure enough about 2 feet down in the water I see a bobber floating I reach down and grab the bobber and pull my fishing pole out of the lake.  Some how whilst paddling I knocked my pole in the lake and neither of us heard or noticed it .  Guess we had that Busch Light induced fog going on . Hahaha.  Ever since then anytime we lose something we just look at each other and go "dude wheres my pole "

Offline Fidelk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, JCSA
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2019, 07:25:58 AM »
I was in a club that hooked people up with spots on private boats (Half Moon Bay to San Francisco area) to share expenses, etc. and got a call from a guy to go salmon trolling out of Sausalito. As we were trolling to the north of the Golden Gate, he tells me a tale. The day before he had been fishing by himself and was running two rods when he hooks a salmon and proceeds to reel it in. While attempting to net the fish, he slips and goes overboard, releasing rod, reel, line, hook and fish in the process. This was a very fit young man and a former college swimmer, so he kicks off his rubber boots and swims for all he's worth back to the boat in that low 50 degree water. He makes it and gets back on board.

Wet and cold, he starts to reel in the other line figuring enough is enough for the day and also for fishing alone. He feels some weight on the line and he hauls in the rod that he had lost. He starts reeling in the line from that rod and there is also weight on that line. He lands the salmon (more carefully than the first try) that started this whole drama. He tells me, "And that is the reason that I wised up, checked with the club and called you."

There's more to this two day story. As we were trolling, we hear someone on the radio, saying that his battery was dead, couldn't get power and could he get some help.....no sound of urgency or alarm. Dozens of other boats are in the area and we just continue a slow troll in a northerly direction but heading towards his position. Then his voice comes back on the radio, this time more alarmed, but not full on panic mode, saying that he was drifting close to shore. Other boaters came on the radio and told him to drop his anchor. He replied that he couldn't, since it was electric. More back and forth questions/answers.....turned out this was  the boats maiden voyage and he wasn't all that familiar with operating it. We pull gear and steam full speed ahead and arrive in time to see other boats standing off and this very nice, very shiny new 25-28' boat stuck in an area of large boulders in water too shallow to navigate in and get a line to him. The USCG has been called. They are close to shore, so no real life and death danger at this point.

We go back to fishing, still heading north and eventually turn and head south. As I recall, we also heard some further radio chatter and it sounds like the USCG couldn't reach the boat due to the shallow water. We're thinking that he will be able to get pulled out when the high tide returns. We're done fishing as we approach the spot were we last saw the boat......no boat......Oh, good they got it out of the shallows...….as we slide closer, we start to see debris in the water, including large pieces of white and blue fiberglass......I look over the side and see what appears to be the owner's instruction manual floating just beneath the surface. The water hadn't seemed rough enough to pound a boat into pieces on the rocks but that is what had happened...….we shook our heads and headed back to Sausalito as a salvage landing craft arrived on scene.....not much left to salvage.

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2019, 07:37:59 AM »
Bank fishing with a buddy and he reeled in fishing line that was in the water.  He pulled the line by hand and we found it was attached to a very expensive rod/reel.  He began to reel in his new pole (he thought he won the lottery) that he had just acquired and there was a nice walleye on the line, I thought that was crazy but....

We got back home and told another buddy of ours that we found a pole and he said he lost one a few days earlier in the same spot!  It ended up being his pole.  He cast out, leaned it up against a stick, turned around and the next thing he knew, his pole was gone!

Offline Birdgetter

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2019, 07:51:46 AM »
Didn't loose one but found a very nice one pulling upstream in the Kenai. Pulled up to it in the boat but had a tough time getting it because the reel had come loose and sunk to the bottom separate from the rod. The line was wrapped on the bottom and snapped,  reel wasn't recovered but somehow we still got the rod in and the sockeye was still on the end! It was quite the struggle with a mess of line strung out, poor driving from the boat operator and still having a fish on the end.

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2019, 07:52:25 AM »
i was in my early 20s fishing high mountain creeks one summer. got back to the rig mid afternoon and was getting everything put away. jumped in my truck and took off. got half way down the road and realized my rod wasnt in the truck. whipped around and screamed up the mountain. it was probably 40 mins round trip from when i left to when i got back and my rod was already gone. not a busy area by any means. someone got lucky and got a nice set up from me.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]