collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pogue Unit November 1-20 Whitetail Permit  (Read 1042 times)

Offline bowhntr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Pogue Unit November 1-20 Whitetail Permit
« on: June 17, 2019, 09:57:36 PM »
Got selected for the Pogue Unit  NOV 1-20  whitetail tag.  Iíve been successful with blacktails but have never tried a whitetail hunt before. Iíve been studying up the unit on onX, marking it up like crazy for potential spots.

The elevations in the unit range from 1000 to 6000 feet. Would I be wasting my time hunting the high timber (assuming it isnít too snowy)?  Would sage brush areas hold any whitetail? Any Whitetail tips?

Iíll be hunting it Nov 15-20 and scouting the unit early  July.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
Re: Pogue Unit November 1-20 Whitetail Permit
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 10:52:51 PM »
we see whitetails all over the 5000 range in NE WA seems to be the limit or around there.

Offline elkrack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 07:58:35 AM »
Seen some decent whiteys at fish lake which is the border of the pogue unit but they where in the unit. Good luck
life's tough its tougher if your stupid (john wayne)

Offline scotta

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 10:09:56 AM »
Whitetail buck 2014 , after the wildfires theyíve almost dissapppered up by loop loop pass.

Offline bowhntr

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 11:20:42 AM »
I was thinking those wildfire areas would have brushed in somewhat by now. Seems like the grasses should be good and healthy by now.

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 11:43:23 AM »
Got selected for the Pogue Unit  NOV 1-20  whitetail tag.  Iíve been successful with blacktails but have never tried a whitetail hunt before. Iíve been studying up the unit on onX, marking it up like crazy for potential spots.

The elevations in the unit range from 1000 to 6000 feet. Would I be wasting my time hunting the high timber (assuming it isnít too snowy)?  Would sage brush areas hold any whitetail? Any Whitetail tips?

I once saw a whitetail around 5,000 feet on Goat Peak in 218 and on another peak in 231. However, in those units they tend to stay lower. They can be found in sage brush. Around winthrop heading west on 20 they can be seen in the brush all over the place just outside of winthrop. Since you are hunting the rut, I would simply find out where some bucks are hanging out and pattern the heck out of them. I have never hunted the rut so not sure if their location will change a lot at that time, but once patterned they can be easily found. Your hunt is going to be awesome assuming the fires have not displaced a lot of whitetail. Good luck.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 12:37:28 PM »
Top of the loup used to be covered in them, so anything less than that.....

Offline idaho guy

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 12:44:27 PM »

I once saw a whitetail around 5,000 feet on Goat Peak in 218 and on another peak in 231. However, in those units they tend to stay lower. They can be found in sage brush. Around winthrop heading west on 20 they can be seen in the brush all over the place just outside of winthrop. Since you are hunting the rut, I would simply find out where some bucks are hanging out and pattern the heck out of them. I have never hunted the rut so not sure if their location will change a lot at that time, but once patterned they can be easily found. Your hunt is going to be awesome assuming the fires have not displaced a lot of whitetail. Good luck.

the bucks will abandon their old pattern during the rut and will have no pattern. Pattern the does and the bucks will be there come November 15 on. If they are not with a doe they could be running anywhere looking for the next hot one with their tongue hanging out :chuckle: I have seen whitetails at the highest elevations around in Idaho but definitely more numbers low  not sure about your area

Offline bowhntr

• Pilgrim
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 01:34:50 PM »
Love me some rut bucks. Had an early blacktail rut (late October) a few years back and shot this guy out of his bed at 40 yards while he was looking my way. The next two bucks we got were even bigger in the consecutive days that followed.  Hopefully this WT rut falls right when I am there.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 01:52:35 PM by bowhntr »

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 02:50:11 PM »

the bucks will abandon their old pattern during the rut and will have no pattern. Pattern the does and the bucks will be there come November 15 on. If they are not with a doe they could be running anywhere looking for the next hot one with their tongue hanging out :chuckle: I have seen whitetails at the highest elevations around in Idaho but definitely more numbers low  not sure about your area

Good to know. Patterning goes out the window when nature calls. And nice BT bowhntr!

Offline Buckhunter24

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 07:36:04 PM »
Pattern changes from pre rut but theres a new pattern. They are going to revisit scrapes and rubs  :twocents:

Offline idaho guy

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 08:12:16 PM »
Pattern changes from pre rut but theres a new pattern. They are going to revisit scrapes and rubs  :twocents:

100 percent True but in my areas once the ruts in full swing I donít notice a pattern but they still visit scrapes just not on any predictable timeline. Pre early rut those scrape lines are pretty predictable  :tup: somewhere between 15 th to end of month seems like peak rut in Idaho and Montana and they are either following a doe or looking for one.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

7.3 Powerstroke Help by jackson7
[Today at 11:08:22 PM]

West Side Easy Access for non-offroad vehicles by Hipcatblue
[Today at 11:03:55 PM]

Wapiti Stew by X-Force
[Today at 10:44:04 PM]

49 degrees north moose tag burning a hole in my pocket by X-Force
[Today at 10:42:48 PM]

Request: Mt Spokane Youth Hunt by huntnphool
[Today at 10:31:45 PM]

Steve rinellas blue mountains bull hunt by elkchaser54
[Today at 10:19:48 PM]

Blacktail rattling 2019 by slowhand
[Today at 10:16:35 PM]

2019 Blacktail Early Season activity reports - anybody seeing bucks? by 257 Wby Mag
[Today at 10:16:10 PM]

WTB youth/light caliber left handed rifle by huntnphool
[Today at 10:15:05 PM]

Vortex Optics customer service by follow maggie
[Today at 09:57:41 PM]

Thanks for the lift by tgomez
[Today at 09:55:30 PM]

2019 Selkirk moose tag by huntnphool
[Today at 09:53:47 PM]

WTS Sako Finnlight 300 win mag and Savage 116 6.5-284 norma by Rjames
[Today at 09:25:08 PM]

Hydrogen peroxide by lewy