collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Quality Dayton MF bull tag help  (Read 11231 times)

Offline dvolmer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Quality Dayton MF bull tag help
« on: June 18, 2019, 05:57:17 AM »
I have the modern rifle tag in Dayton for this year.  It took 13 points for me to draw it.  Back in 2006 We drew 5 of the 13 tags in Dayton. we filled 4 of the tags.  We shot a 398 inch 7x8, a 358 inch 6x6, a 335 inch 6x7 and a 317 inch 6x6.  In 2007 my other buddy drew the tag and we helped him shoot a 315 inch 7x7.  My hunting partners family have hunted that area for Elk for over 35 years.  We hunt up by Edmonds Springs out on Page Ridge, Lewis creek, and Ireland gulch areas off of Skyline road.  About 6 or 7 years ago my wife drew the tag and on the opening day we hunted and a snow storm came in.  While driving off of the mountain on skyline we just about slid the Tahoe off of the side over a cliff.  Scared her so bad she literally refused to go back hunting and we had to eat the tag.

I have a few concerns.  First, I haven't been up there at all for the last 6 years hunting.  Second, my hunting partner hunted for deer up there with his son last year in the areas above that I mentioned above and in the areas we shot our bulls back in 2006 and didn't see a single elk.  He hunted hard for 3 days. It was so bad that he just decided to not go up for the elk hunt at all.  Third, it seems that the elk numbers are way down due to a combination of a bad winter in 2016/2017, cougars, wolves, and uncontrolled tribal hunting.  I'm not sure what of the things I listed above are taking the biggest toll but it is probably a combination of a few.

So I am open to any and all kind of help or intel.  I do know that scouting right now will not help me all that much.  Where the elk are now is not necessary where they will be during the season.  Scouting now would be a good thing if I didn't know the area at all and the access points and land lay-out.  But where the elk are after the rut is not where they will be now.  I know that when the season is going on the big bulls will be by themselves or in small groups of two or three.  I know that early mornings they will be half way up the mountain sides feeding and working their way back towards the bottom and into the thick stuff for the day.

So any ideas about current conditions or help would be appreciated.
Zonk Volmer

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
Re: Quality Dayton MF bull tag help
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 06:23:53 AM »
Good luck to you, I know rosscrazyelk hunts there every year for spikes or when he draws, has been for many years.  Last year if my memory serves me correct, he didn't see a single bull much less a cow. He can correct me if I'm wrong though, sounds like your info a tough hunt but!!  I have to believe the wolves or natives didn't kill them all, not yet anyway.  I'm sure you'll get some good intel, I spent time in the east wenaha this spring and saw quite a few elk and more bulls than I've seen in a while. I have to think it's close to the same in the Dayton.  Git'r done!!
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline nels1009

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 01:19:45 PM »
The elk numbers are way down. First year I've ever seen where WDFW has not had drawings for any cow elk tags in the Dayton unit. Wolves are a big part of it. Best of luck to you on your hunt.

Offline 270Flat

• Chief
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Getting skunked beats doing yard work!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 02:09:28 PM »
Elk are there. Seems like they were driven real low this year with all the snow. So we know they are there.
I’ve seen a decline in numbers due to Wolves/cougars and people. They’ll stick to the low pressure areas on private land lower in the unit. If you can access the timber lands as well as the feel free to hunt areas you’ll give yourself a leg up. Good luck with your tag!
fear no fish!!

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 02:52:19 PM »
The elk numbers are way down. First year I've ever seen where WDFW has not had drawings for any cow elk tags in the Dayton unit. Wolves are a big part of it. Best of luck to you on your hunt.

Agree with the above post.  Elk can still be found, but getting harder.  When wolves are introduced into an area it goes through some tough changes.  Unfortunately, I think we are right in the middle of that now.  I'll keep my eyes open this summer.  If I see anything of note, I'll drop you a PM.
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline JWEBB

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Waiting for October
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 09:58:07 PM »
I had quality cow tag for the unit last year. Talked to all the big bull hunters while I was up there. Really slim pickings unfortunately. Not what it use to be. Yeah there are some pigs in the unit but far and few between. Good luck!
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome

Offline dvolmer

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 11:02:17 PM »
I had quality cow tag for the unit last year. Talked to all the big bull hunters while I was up there. Really slim pickings unfortunately. Not what it use to be. Yeah there are some pigs in the unit but far and few between. Good luck!
Were you successful on your cow hunt?  I noticed this year they discontinued all cow hunts in Dayton.
Zonk Volmer

Offline JWEBB

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Waiting for October
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2019, 11:53:18 PM »
Were you successful on your cow hunt?  I noticed this year they discontinued all cow hunts in Dayton.

3rd day done. Didn’t even see a bull on my hunt
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome

Offline 3dvapor

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 08:11:59 AM »
Great news on the tag.  Ive dtawn it for archery and have helped friends with the tag several times.  Theres still some huge bulls in there still.  Id spend my time finding the best ways to access all the hard to reach areas and find the best ways in and out.  Start on the western edge of the unit and work to the east.  Theres several hell holes that are super timbered up and brushy that are super hard to access.  Thats where the bulls will be in small pockets.  Theyll even still answer a cow call or bugle sometimes.  So Id also learn how to call.  Congrats on the tag!!!

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2019, 04:02:49 PM »
Was up in the Dayton Unit yesterday for a bit.  Did see one herd of about 50 elk on the private across the road from the entrance to Cahill.  Mostly cows and calves, but did see 2 bulls.  One was branched and the other was smaller.
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2019, 05:23:29 PM »
Was up in the Dayton Unit yesterday for a bit.  Did see one herd of about 50 elk on the private across the road from the entrance to Cahill.  Mostly cows and calves, but did see 2 bulls.  One was branched and the other was smaller.

Were they up on the top of the hill above the N. Touchet across from the entrance to Cahill Mtn road?
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline NW_Bucketlist

• Pilgrim
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2019, 01:15:33 AM »
I have hunted the muzzy season there the last 5 years for spikes. We usually meet a tag holder and help them find a shooter bull. Last year was the worst year we have seen over there but I think it was mainly do to weather. We did still see a few 330-350 bulls in the 7 days we hunted but you can definitely tell the numbers are down from when we started.

Offline meatwhack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2019, 01:19:49 PM »
Elk numbers in most of the blues are terrible right now. Predators have been a factor as well as over hunting. What scouting now will show you is how bad of shape the herd is currently in compared to ten years ago. If you don’t have the tag filled during the week before the army of spike hunters roll in I’d be worried

Offline rosscrazyelk

• BMM
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2019, 08:01:21 PM »
The blues are not what they used to be. Last year was the worst  year I ever seen. Still saw elk but nothing to write home about.  I will be down there again this year helping my buddies. Not hunting for myself there. I am hunting a different unit and weapon this year, if that tells you anything...
Only thing I can tell you is to go deep and nasty.
Good luck
If its brown knock it down

Offline dvolmer

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2019, 01:13:52 PM »
Anyone seeing anything up in the Dayton unit???  I just got back from a week in Alaska fishing and its time I started to scout a little bit.  Just wondering if anyone was seeing any bulls
Zonk Volmer

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand