collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: meateater buying first lite  (Read 24087 times)

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
Re: meateater buying first lite
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2019, 03:12:59 PM »
I'm seeing holes in their merlino in places they shouldn't be, always been a fan but also always been concerned about the quality.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2019, 04:05:01 PM »
Camofire wool holds up better at half the price.  Holes wear through FL in strange spots, hems fray out, stitching dissolves and their wool just wears out shockingly quickly.

I wouldn’t be surprised if FL was headed toward problems after dropping all their distributors and rolling out horrible policies.

I gave up after they came up with the no return policy on anything on sale.  There are simply better companies to buy from that are making better products for a better price and better policies.

Years ago, they were ahead of the curve, but they aren’t any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Whitpirate

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2019, 04:13:29 PM »
Makes more sense why Callahan went full-time at MeatEater in advance of this....

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2019, 04:56:42 PM »
They're great if you treat them as disposable garments, like a diaper just change out daily for a new pair and life would be good!

But I aint sponsored and that costs too much

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline andersonjk4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2019, 05:13:18 PM »
Former Sitka President Kevin Sloan is currently CEO if MeatEater Inc... Hopefully he will have a good influence on First Lite. 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2019, 05:57:27 PM »
I have a harder time rationalizing $45 boxers in the first place, nevermind $45 boxers with holes in them. I'd lose my ever loving mind.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2019, 06:15:32 PM »
Camofire wool holds up better at half the price.  Holes wear through FL in strange spots, hems fray out, stitching dissolves and their wool just wears out shockingly quickly.

I wouldn’t be surprised if FL was headed toward problems after dropping all their distributors and rolling out horrible policies.

I gave up after they came up with the no return policy on anything on sale.  There are simply better companies to buy from that are making better products for a better price and better policies.

Years ago, they were ahead of the curve, but they aren’t any more.

camofire is a synthetic wool blend so not really a good comparison. That camofire stuff gets to stinking just like any other synthetic.   
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline cbond3318

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2019, 06:37:46 PM »
I’d rather smell like a dumpster behind KFC.
Just tend your own and live.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2019, 06:38:31 PM »
This is the stuff I have, 100% merino.

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2019, 06:49:48 PM »
Well I was gonna post the picture of the tag on mine that says 80/20 wool spandex or whatever ratio it was but it's a black blank tag. They must have changed their blend at some point since I've bought this shirt. Durability wise I'd put it right there with the 2 FL items I use which is a chama hoodie and a Llano quarter zip. The chama is 4 years old. Maybe I dont hunt all that hard :dunno:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2019, 07:35:12 PM »
I have a harder time rationalizing $45 boxers in the first place, nevermind $45 boxers with holes in them. I'd lose my ever loving mind.
Boom. 

I don’t hunt as much as Karl but I seem to hear about quality issues from them from day hunters regularly.   I can “buy once cry once” but I can’t just keep buying something if I’m not confident it will
1)survive
2)be covered by warranty

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2019, 07:35:40 PM »
I don't know why but I get a slightly uneasy feeling about the whole meateater expansion. I'm literally reading into nothing so don't expect a rational defense of my position but I don't like it. Anybody else feeling this?

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2019, 07:44:10 PM »
Yeah, merino isn't kevlar for sure.  The difference now is that there are tons of companies making decent merino clothing that have better pricing and better sales terms.  Black Ovis is on Camofire all the time and they have free returns if it doesn't fit. 

I'm not against First Lite, I'm just not willing to pay a bunch of money to have something that doesn't fit right that I can't return.  Once they went away from the distributor model, their prices should have gone down to be more competitive, but didn't.  With high performance, athletic fit gear that you can't try on before you buy, they need a better return policy for sale items as well as competitive pricing.

Here is an example, I bought the Camofire 230 zip hoodie for $58, the comparable First Lite is $105-115.  For double the cost, there should be a big difference and there isn't.  I've owned both and short of the fancy logo, they are both foreign produced merino.  If a guy needs to be matchy with the the latest pattern, FL may be your ticket, but I don't care if it is solid or whatever pattern as long as it works and is fairly priced.

If they improve, I'll be glad to jump back on board, I have no ill will and would like to support them as I like the Meat Eater brand, but if they are going to be double the cost for the same thing and hard to deal with, I'm not interested.

Offline Odell

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2019, 07:54:06 PM »
I don't know why but I get a slightly uneasy feeling about the whole meateater expansion. I'm literally reading into nothing so don't expect a rational defense of my position but I don't like it. Anybody else feeling this?

Yes but I've been told I'm just a hater. Which might be true, I can barely stomach the podcast anymore. Getting a bit high on their own supply imo
what in the wild wild world of sports???

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2019, 08:00:44 PM »
@stein well said.

@odell - oh come on man, you’ve been a hater since he killed his WA elk  :chuckle:

In all seriousness, it doesn’t help that the FL staff are VERY outspoken when it comes to politics. Tends to turn me off.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 08:43:32 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]