collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2000 Silverado fuel pump replacement question - filler neck  (Read 1612 times)

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
So, I somehow got stumped on a fuel pump replacement on the 2000 Silverado 1500.  I ended up pulling the fuel filler neck off the tank in order to get it out as opposed to taking the whole neck attached to the tank.

There was an outer hose, a smaller inner hose and a yet smaller hose inside of that (3 total)?  The smallest hose wasn't connected to anything on either side and is about 4' long.

I went online to figure out how to put it all back together and couldn't find the smallest hose mentioned.  Replacement parts only show the two bigger hoses.

Any idea what the third, smallest hose is and how I put it back together?

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: 2000 Silverado fuel pump replacement question - filler neck
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 11:53:27 AM »
Did you go to a parts place not schmucks or one of those. A good place will have accesses to parts where they can look up your vehicle based on Your lisc plate numbers
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 11:55:16 AM »
Could it be a vent hose?  Look up South Main Auto on youtube.  I am pretty sure he does one on a silverado.  Good channel also if you enjoy mechanical work. 

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 11:58:36 AM »
Here's a pic.  The outer hose is clamped to the neck on the tank.  The middle hose is loose on the tank end and clamped inside the filler neck.  I assume the fuel goes through the middle hose into the tank and the tank vents out between the middle and outer hose during filling.  The inside small hose isn't connected at either end and I can't figure out what it is or what to do with it.  A couple feet were in the tank and the rest stuck up in the middle hose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 12:14:30 PM »
OK, found a diagram and the mystery third hose is not shown?  I'm almost wondering if something crazy like a siphon was going on and they pushed it down to far and lost it?  Seems crazy, but it isn't shown in this pic and I can't find any mention of it on the internet which means other people don't have the same question.

I think I'm going to leave it out and put it back together.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 01:08:05 PM »
Not sure if this helps.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Norman89

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Proud holder of 110 Zardos points!
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 12:20:22 PM »
The outer house is the built in vent, the inner hose is the actual filler neck, the third is a line someone stuck in the anti theft flapper valve trying to siphoned fuel and got it stuck. Iv seen this many times over. Usual customer complaint is fuel is slow to go into the tank or burbles out.

Offline Norman89

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Proud holder of 110 Zardos points!
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 12:39:11 PM »
It's worth mentioning I own and daily a 2000 Silverado that I bought because it needed a fuel pump and there is no third hose

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 12:57:03 PM »
The outer house is the built in vent, the inner hose is the actual filler neck, the third is a line someone stuck in the anti theft flapper valve trying to siphoned fuel and got it stuck. Iv seen this many times over. Usual customer complaint is fuel is slow to go into the tank or burbles out.

That’s what I was thinking too. Just wasn’t sure.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 01:41:45 PM »
Thanks, the siphon idea originally sounded like a reason my mind invents to explain extra parts but I’m pretty sure that is what it was.

It’s all back together and working perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal