collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Labradar Help  (Read 5154 times)

Offline Wolfdog2314

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
Labradar Help
« on: June 18, 2019, 03:27:10 PM »
Second time to the range with my new Labradar and still haven’t gotten it figured out. I’m having problems with “unit not acquiring shot” and sometimes it will just shut off when I shoot. Using new batteries. Tried it off a tripod and off of the base on a concrete bench.
I’ve aligned it the best I can with the notch. I’ve placed it within 6-18 inches and adjusted the setting for that. I’ve been anywhere from 3-4inches behind the muzzle break.
Sometimes I can string together 3-4 shots, and then it will miss a shot or two, then catch a few, then miss more. I seem to catch more shots with my 6.5 PRC w/radial break vs the 300wsm with side break.

I’ve read using a small tube or straw to place in the notch for alignment. I’ll try that next.
I’ve also read that some guys will have the unit as far back as their scope to prevent any blast at all from interfering.

If anyone has any tips or tricks to try let me know.

Offset- tried all 6,12,18 none seem consistent, and all within 3-4 inches behind break.
Distances- using the factory setting. It’s something like 10,20,30,40,50
Trigger- trigger
Trigger level- 1 most sensitive
TX power- standard

Target is at 100 yards.

I shot with a buddy a year ago with his. We shot multiple calibers by it and it would catch em all with out repositioning much at all. It didn’t seem finicky in the slightest.

Help before I throw this 600$ machine in the trash! I called Gunwerks who I bought it thru and they said “yah we just put it up next to it about 6 inches and shoot and it works great!” They were helpful as they could be and said they will do any replacement or warranty for it. Labradar’s phone is disconnected at the moment...

Thanks!

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
Re: Labradar Help
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 06:43:25 PM »
Blast shield?
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline hogslayer

• Longhunter
  • Groups: Bloody decks
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 07:26:48 PM »
Just put the unit 6” infront of the muzzle break.

Offline CaNINE

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 07:43:57 PM »
For non braked guns I set the unit up aligned with the muzzle. For braked guns I set it up pretty far back...roughly where the front stud is on the stock. 18” offset from the barrel. 

Getting the preferences set right is critical. It sounds like you may need to adjust the sensitivity level. If it will help I can send you how my preferences are set.

The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

Proverbs 12:27

Offline Wolfdog2314

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 08:08:49 PM »
For non braked guns I set the unit up aligned with the muzzle. For braked guns I set it up pretty far back...roughly where the front stud is on the stock. 18” offset from the barrel. 

Getting the preferences set right is critical. It sounds like you may need to adjust the sensitivity level. If it will help I can send you how my preferences are set.

Maybe I need to try setting the unit back much further than I am. Bringing the unit back will be much easier than going forward, to be able to work well on the bench I use.

I’m definitely open to seeing what u have your preferences set at, thanks!

I will consider some sort of blast shield if I can’t get anything else to work. I’d really like to think that once I find the sweet spot in position and settings I won’t have any more problems.

Thanks all.

Offline Birdgetter

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 08:37:21 PM »
I read this wrong and came here expecting a dog related topic.  :chuckle:

Offline CaNINE

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 07:13:21 AM »
I had similar set up configuration issues when I first started. I tried using the orange base plate and concluded it moves from muzzle blast and vibration causing target misalignment. You can counter this by placing a weight on the baseplate (bag of lead shot works). But I found its much easier to use a tripod and keep it to the side of the bench. A played with blast shields and found they weren’t necessary if I moved the unit back and kept the 18” offset. This works well with braked guns at least up to 338 edge which generates a pile of muzzle blast!!!! 
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

Offline Wolfdog2314

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 12:31:59 PM »
Awesome ok great guys thanks. Labradar emailed me back also.

It seems the consensus is to:

Add a tube to the notch to aid in target alignment

Move the unit further back. Labradar suggested 6-8 inches back. They also said my settings were correct.

I’ve got a tripod and the base plate to mess with. I’ll be mindful to make sure that either are properly secured to the ground or bench.

Hope this does the trick!

Thanks!

Offline CaNINE

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 03:22:18 PM »
You should be good to go!  I use a small drinking straw as a sight plane...I piece of coat hangar rod works great too.

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 03:47:02 PM »
battery check, i run a brick with cord... also check input of initial data. there is even a field for grain of bullets, have forgotten to change that from rifle to rifle before and gotten the no read errors.
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 04:19:45 PM »
These lab radars seem like a huge pia.   I just slap my magneto speed on and get speeds.  Easy as that
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.

Offline Wolfdog2314

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 04:33:49 PM »
I’ve heard of blast causing batteries to rattle and turning the machine off. I plan on ordering up a battery brick off amazon. Good excuse as I’ll take it on hunting trips too!

Apparently there’s a lot of complaints with initial setup. But once it’s dialed in, it’s supposed to be awesome, and that’s why I went with it over the Magneto. 
This could all just be operator error too!  :o

I didn’t think the bullet grain function affected things as much as that. I’ll look further in to that also.

Thanks again for the input guys.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 04:37:33 PM »
These lab radars seem like a huge pia.   I just slap my magneto speed on and get speeds.  Easy as that
Ohhh no you di’aint!!!

First you pick on us little 30 cal lovers then you go and trash talk the LabRadar folks.  You obviously don’t know how sensitive those folk are cause them’s fighten words to a LR owner. LOL

Offline CaNINE

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 06:54:27 PM »

Nah not really. They do take a few minutes to configure and if you don’t have the preferences set up right they can be finicky. But that’s user error not the device.

For load development there is no better option out there IMO. My magnetospeed was great at gathering velocity data but it was useless for testing group precision.  I just got tired of doing two sets of testing. One for velocity and ES and a second for group size.  It came down to a time verses money equation.

It’s not perfect. Will be interesting to see where technology goes to support the recent surge in log range shooting. As long as the economy is hot and people have money to dispose on toys we will see a lot of cool stuff!   :tup:
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 07:00:10 PM by CaNINE »

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2019, 06:58:36 PM »
Ohhh no you di’aint!!!

First you pick on us little 30 cal lovers then you go and trash talk the LabRadar folks.  You obviously don’t know how sensitive those folk are cause them’s fighten words to a LR owner. LOL
:chuckle:  I just call it like it is......in my eyes

Never has the magneto speed affected group size on any rifle I own....corse my barrels resemble a truck axle

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter