collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: GPS Help in 2019  (Read 1881 times)

Offline yogru

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
GPS Help in 2019
« on: July 03, 2019, 03:47:22 PM »
I've read though some older threads, but I know technology changes so fast a lot of things are simply outdated now.

I'm trying to find the "best" new GPS offerings. Premium on accuracy, maps, screen size.  Must be weather proof (or as close as these things get). I'd be getting a couple (one for my Dad) so I'd like it to have the ability to see where the other unit is and communicate with them. I don't care about price.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,
~yog

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
Re: GPS Help in 2019
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 04:06:06 PM »
If you have smart phones, I would just get onX hunt maps.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline yogru

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 04:15:21 PM »
If you have smart phones, I would just get onX hunt maps.
I do have a smart phone as well as onX.

Maybe I'm still too new at this, but I was under the assumption onX doesn't allow me to communicate with another unit when out of cell range.  I'm interested in being able to see where my Father is on the GPS as well as the ability to communicate with him (via text or whatever) when there is no reception.  Does that even exist in GPS units?  I was told the new inreach could send texts but it's pretty basic.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 04:15:36 PM »
Smart phone, OnX, In Reach, battery brick.  For me, it's the perfect combination.

With InReach, you send texts and can set it up so it also sends periodic position updates to any e-mail you want.  You can send your position every few minutes, every hour, etc.  You can also send someone your position at any time.

Offline yogru

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 04:22:28 PM »
Smart phone, OnX, In Reach, battery brick.  For me, it's the perfect combination.

With InReach, you send texts and can set it up so it also sends periodic position updates to any e-mail you want.  You can send your position every few minutes, every hour, etc.  You can also send someone your position at any time.

Thanks, that may be the best option we currently have.  I was dreaming of an "all in one" GPS that would ping the other units GPS location ever X minutes to keep me informed of where they were (as well as the ability to send a text to adjust our hunting plan on the fly).  Someday  :tup:

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 04:25:56 PM »

Thanks, that may be the best option we currently have.  I was dreaming of an "all in one" GPS that would ping the other units GPS location ever X minutes to keep me informed of where they were (as well as the ability to send a text to adjust our hunting plan on the fly).  Someday  :tup:

for that, I used the garmin rino 650s.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 04:29:16 PM »
Isn't there a monthly fee for the in reach ?
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline yogru

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 04:38:49 PM »

Ahah! That may be what I'm looking for! well the Rino 750s I guess are the current offering it appears.  Yes, it tells you and updates where the other units are and updates their GPS with points I update.  That's more of what I'm looking for as well as the radio for communicating.  Thanks for mentioning that.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 04:44:19 PM »

Ahah! That may be what I'm looking for! well the Rino 750s I guess are the current offering it appears.  Yes, it tells you and updates where the other units are and updates their GPS with points I update.  That's more of what I'm looking for as well as the radio for communicating.  Thanks for mentioning that.

you bet. It is nice to be able to use it as a radio and also ping each other so you can see where you are at. You can buy the onx chips for them but the detail isn't nearly as nice as it is on phone, tablet or computer

Offline yogru

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2019, 05:02:26 PM »

you bet. It is nice to be able to use it as a radio and also ping each other so you can see where you are at. You can buy the onx chips for them but the detail isn't nearly as nice as it is on phone, tablet or computer

Sounds good, I'll likely have my cell with onX on me anyway.  This is mostly to know whee my hunting partner is and be able to communicate with them if needed.  Man I'm glad they have something like this out!

Offline blackpowderhunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2019, 08:08:17 AM »
garmin rino is what you're after  :tup:
i use onx on my phone for general GPS stuff, but the rino is great to find one another...

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2019, 07:10:15 AM »
Question about OnX Hunt GPS Chip that includes the OnX membership.  I presume that means you get updates for the OnX Hunt GPS Chip.  Does that also include updates for say a smartphone, or would you have to buy a second membership for that?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 07:23:52 AM by Fl0und3rz »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal