collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Vacation time for the rut?  (Read 4686 times)

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
Re: Vacation time for the rut?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2019, 05:01:25 PM »
I take the last week of October off just to hunt blacktails. I do very little hunting during the first 2 weeks of season.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2019, 07:18:54 PM »
I would love to have the last 5 or 6 full days of October off to just hunt BT's. Man it can be good.
then get your old man and meet us up there !!! The wifey says go for it !

HA! The wife says 10 days in Idaho is enough. I'm sure you'll see Dad and I up there again though. Theres a big 3 we need another shot at.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline deerhunter_98520

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Old Salt
  • Chief Executive Head Anarchist of YKWTSASFFRO
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2019, 08:13:22 PM »
Last week of oct and ext buck is the best around here  :tup:
Official hunt-wa bigfoot field researcher!

Offline Westside88

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2019, 10:02:05 PM »
As the late season is only four days, and, coincides with a weekend, you are really only taking two vacations days (THU 14 and FRI 15 NOV), yes?  That said, you could schedule the rest of your deer hunting vacation time to cover pretty much the last two weeks of OCT.  As a general rule, the bucks will be tweaking pretty hard the last week of OCT through mid NOV.  It's all a good time to be in the black tail woods.   

Yes, only 2 vac. days needed for late buck and the remaining vac. time for the last 2 weeks in Oct.  I think that's the best I can do without the quality permit.

This is all spot on for maximizing the rut, but with the multi season permit you’ll want to hunt early too. Good chance to get some deer spotted and maybe even take a good one prior to modern season pressures. You might find the big boy that will only let his guard down later during the rut

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2019, 10:36:37 AM »
Sorry to hear about the heart attack. Life changer for sure!

There's always some level of early estrus that kicks up some good buck activity sometime around the 18th - 21st or so.  Sometimes it happens as early as Oct 12 or 13.  These are the does that typically get bred again during the peak of the rut - roughly three weeks later. 

If I was choosing days to hunt based on vacation time, I'd also throw in Friday the 18th and hunt that entire weekend.  I'd plan for Tues, Oct 29th through the end of the General Season, and the two days off for the late season.  That's 7 days of vacation total.

Good luck, and take care of that ticker! 
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2019, 04:45:54 PM »
Don’t forget to take November 1st off ! More big bucks are shot when kids are starting to trick or treat then any other night , makes for a long night of packing

Offline spin05

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2019, 12:59:40 AM »
Halloween is about peak where i live. By nov 10th i get no more bucks on my camera

Offline N7XW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2019, 09:16:35 AM »
Last week of oct and ext buck is the best around here  :tup:

:tup:  looking forward to it!

Offline N7XW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2019, 09:17:45 AM »
As the late season is only four days, and, coincides with a weekend, you are really only taking two vacations days (THU 14 and FRI 15 NOV), yes?  That said, you could schedule the rest of your deer hunting vacation time to cover pretty much the last two weeks of OCT.  As a general rule, the bucks will be tweaking pretty hard the last week of OCT through mid NOV.  It's all a good time to be in the black tail woods.   

Yes, only 2 vac. days needed for late buck and the remaining vac. time for the last 2 weeks in Oct.  I think that's the best I can do without the quality permit.

This is all spot on for maximizing the rut, but with the multi season permit you’ll want to hunt early too. Good chance to get some deer spotted and maybe even take a good one prior to modern season pressures. You might find the big boy that will only let his guard down later during the rut

I have a nice buck targeted for early archery.  Can't tell what he is yet since he is still growing.  I suspect a big forkie or 3 point based on what I see so far.

Offline N7XW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2019, 09:18:52 AM »
Sorry to hear about the heart attack. Life changer for sure!

There's always some level of early estrus that kicks up some good buck activity sometime around the 18th - 21st or so.  Sometimes it happens as early as Oct 12 or 13.  These are the does that typically get bred again during the peak of the rut - roughly three weeks later. 

If I was choosing days to hunt based on vacation time, I'd also throw in Friday the 18th and hunt that entire weekend.  I'd plan for Tues, Oct 29th through the end of the General Season, and the two days off for the late season.  That's 7 days of vacation total.

Good luck, and take care of that ticker!

Awesome advice.  Thank you!

Offline N7XW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2019, 09:20:24 AM »
Don’t forget to take November 1st off ! More big bucks are shot when kids are starting to trick or treat then any other night , makes for a long night of packing

I'll be taking Nov. 1st off too for a little grouse hunting.  Hopefully that time will be spent hauling out a nice buck!

Offline N7XW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2019, 09:21:12 AM »
Halloween is about peak where i live. By nov 10th i get no more bucks on my camera

Right in line with what I was thinking.  Thanks!

Offline Martinhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Whack em and stack em!!
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2019, 02:36:46 AM »
Oct 25th-31st and the 4 day late buck in November and that'll put you in the woods during the best available huntin days for blacktail.  :tup:
To God alone be the Glory!!

Offline N7XW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2019, 09:28:53 PM »
Oct 25th-31st and the 4 day late buck in November and that'll put you in the woods during the best available huntin days for blacktail.  :tup:
That's the plan!

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal