collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Tree stand vs tree saddle?  (Read 5239 times)

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: Tree stand vs tree saddle?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2020, 02:11:21 PM »
wonder how a saddle like that would be predator calling in thick brush?   wouldn't sit for more than about an hour give or take

If it didn't weight anything, and was simple quick and easy.... put your ecaller in the brush where you want something to come too, walk up the tree then press play, have a birds eye view of cats sneaking in to the caller below

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2020, 02:43:11 PM »
I grew up in NH also, Littleton

Fitzwilliam, south of Keene.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline NorseNW

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2020, 07:57:59 AM »
This resurfaced thread got the saddle idea back in mind.  Debated it a couple years ago for blacktail.  Still not sure if it's for me or not.  For those looking at the Tethrd system apparently they are releasing a new updated setup (the Phantom) at the ATA show.  I'll admit they look pretty top end and slick.  Not sure what the phantom will price out at but the older system (Mantis) will put you in the hole $400+.  Nice system but dang that's a hit.  Not sure I can do that to just try it out.....

Offline TheStovePipeKid

• They call me MISTER KID!
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • I. Kill. Turkey.
    • TheStovePipeKid
  • Groups: NWTF Annual Member, NRA Extended Pay Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2020, 08:23:20 AM »
Seems like most have priced themselves out of consideration. You can get  a nice climber treestand on the classifieds for $100-150, or even less. Compare that to $400 and they've run me off. If you go by this thread there are several established hunters here who could afford the price but don't care for the function. Plus a true run and gun is just that, RUN and gun. Hard to cover ground clipped to a tree. I'd love to try one out but it would have to be a loaner. The concept is sound.
I laugh in the face of Danger. Ha ha ha Danger Face!

Offline JasonG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2020, 04:01:32 PM »
I have a mantis I will be trying out this year. Ill keep you posted!

Offline cryder

• relic01
  • Longhunter
  • elk down
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2020, 07:46:31 AM »
All this comparing stuff , what it really comes down to is , as any well practiced popscicle stand Hunter will tell u is ,,, Wich ever way to get in that stand without breaking a sweat , once you break out in breeze filling stench your chances were just cut in half at best , I love this part of bow hunting , the science of it , it's very rewarding to say the least , as far as carrying and moving stuff , forgetaboutit !!!
loction location location ! perzackly !

Offline TheStovePipeKid

• They call me MISTER KID!
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • I. Kill. Turkey.
    • TheStovePipeKid
  • Groups: NWTF Annual Member, NRA Extended Pay Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2020, 02:46:29 PM »
All this comparing stuff , what it really comes down to is , as any well practiced popscicle stand Hunter will tell u is ,,, Wich ever way to get in that stand without breaking a sweat , once you break out in breeze filling stench your chances were just cut in half at best , I love this part of bow hunting , the science of it , it's very rewarding to say the least , as far as carrying and moving stuff , forgetaboutit !!!
I laugh in the face of Danger. Ha ha ha Danger Face!

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2020, 03:10:35 PM »
I wouldnt use one of these.  Like huntnnw said, it wouldnt be comfortable for a cold, all day sit.  For all their disadvantages, the only advantage they offer is portability, so the option to get in a tree on the fly.  Ive never found a good spot to hang a stand that would work without significant limbing of not only the stand tree, but adjacent trees for shooting lanes.  The way i see it, youre better off heavily scouting an area, picking a good tree, and spending the time limbing and setting everything up for a regular stand in the preseason.  The concept of creeping into an unknown area, finding a perfect tree, climbing up into it that morning, and killing a msture buck a few hours later, that just sounds like a pipe dream to me.  Im sure its been done now and then, but id bet its a recipe for tag soup more often than not.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2020, 09:53:42 PM »
I wouldnt use one of these.  Like huntnnw said, it wouldnt be comfortable for a cold, all day sit.  For all their disadvantages, the only advantage they offer is portability, so the option to get in a tree on the fly.  Ive never found a good spot to hang a stand that would work without significant limbing of not only the stand tree, but adjacent trees for shooting lanes.  The way i see it, youre better off heavily scouting an area, picking a good tree, and spending the time limbing and setting everything up for a regular stand in the preseason.  The concept of creeping into an unknown area, finding a perfect tree, climbing up into it that morning, and killing a msture buck a few hours later, that just sounds like a pipe dream to me.  Im sure its been done now and then, but id bet its a recipe for tag soup more often than not.
:yeah:

it would be pure luck to kill a big mature animal and I dont rely on luck. Id prefer like mentioned scouting and being prepared

Offline cryder

• relic01
  • Longhunter
  • elk down
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2020, 09:38:20 PM »
ITS VERY SIMPLE FOLKS , !!!  WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE , LEARN TO LIVE LIKE A ANIMAL AND THE JUNGLE WILL REPAY ,BECOME PART OF IT WITHOUT THEM  KNOING U R THERE , I have to admit , that any anybody sitting in a tree with a missle launcher is pure absugulooooly  comical , why don't u just sit in your car on a hill , throw back some cold goof juice till the sun goes down , then just start plinkn away at what ever is moving on that horizon over there , siloweted in the sunset , as u warm up the car for the drunkn stooper ride home , where we can all here about how u hunted down that squirrel with your own two feet
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 09:52:03 PM by cryder »
loction location location ! perzackly !

Offline youngbull

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2020, 02:59:06 PM »
I haven't pulled the trigger yet
Still hustings great but the wind is
Never really consistent on the west side
I think the light weight mobility as another
Option of getting above brush or out of the wind
Especially if you find hot sign while still hunting.
Price is steep but I thought the same about my summit climber over 10 years ago.
Super cold days in the snow or ice are normally real noisy and fruitless stalking game .
It is also really cool to observe game that's not alert.
Just my opinion but the young guys that really get after seem use the saddles quite a bit. Good luck and buy once cry once.

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2020, 04:35:10 PM »
For my way of thinking, the saddle is just another option that in no way replaces the tree stand.  If you cant make it happen with a tree stand, I dont see the saddle giving you (any hunter) the edge.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2020, 10:47:50 PM »
I haven't pulled the trigger yet
Still hustings great but the wind is
Never really consistent on the west side
I think the light weight mobility as another
Option of getting above brush or out of the wind
Especially if you find hot sign while still hunting.
Price is steep but I thought the same about my summit climber over 10 years ago.
Super cold days in the snow or ice are normally real noisy and fruitless stalking game .
It is also really cool to observe game that's not alert.
Just my opinion but the young guys that really get after seem use the saddles quite a bit. Good luck and buy once cry once.

what does young have to do with using this?  this is a major step down in a hang on stand. Id also never ever own a climber so many disadvantages to those out west.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2020, 06:24:44 AM »
I hunt from treestands every year and I can't imagine ever using one of these. Just seems gimmicky as hell to me. The wind sucks everywhere and I don't see this being a viable alternative to an established stand. The entire benefit of a fixed stand is that I have it pre-set, lanes trimmed, I can sneak quietly in etc.

Looks good for a lineman though  :dunno:
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2020, 08:37:19 AM »
I used to climb trees logging,  always wondered about having a good set of spikes and a harness for predator hunting

get way up the tree, like 50-60 feet or more, and have a fox pro playing bloody murder in the brush below you

all the racket you make would add to the set (scraping bark) as long as there was no metallic sounds.

never wanted to front the cash to find out if it would work.  I would set up in thick brush areas.

As for deer hunting...no, I'll stick to hang on stands done well in advance.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal