collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Oregon draw results up  (Read 5069 times)

Offline trophyelk6x6

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Oregon draw results up
« on: June 20, 2019, 07:53:23 AM »
Nothing for me, 15 pts in elk and deer plus pronghorn.  There is some point creep going on for sure.  As of last year I should of pulled this year.  Hope I can keep up LOL

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
Re: Oregon draw results up
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 08:11:14 AM »
No permit for us but that was the goal.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Crunchy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 08:33:26 AM »
I started hunting Oregon in 07.  Wish I had started putting in for some of the good elk permits then, but didnt.  Now it is too late.  Odds are worse as a non res to draw some of the premier units.  I just go OTC and cannot complain.

Offline kselkhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 09:08:54 AM »
I started hunting Oregon in 07.  Wish I had started putting in for some of the good elk permits then, but didnt.  Now it is too late.  Odds are worse as a non res to draw some of the premier units.  I just go OTC and cannot complain.

I grew up in Oregon. But my family didn't play the points game.  I didn't start building points until my late 30s.  And moved to WA in my 40s.  Kick myself as I could have drawn the big 3 elk at least once by now (when I was a res) or an antelope.  Luckily Oregon lets you keep your points and DFW number when you move out of state.  I'm now just banking points only until I move back to our OR residence.  Given the limited number of non res tags, point creep will keep me from ever likely drawing in the 75% pool on the hard to get tags as a nonres (and 25% pool draws are pretty much impossible on those harder tags).  Thankfully Oregon has decent OTC hunts. 

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 10:06:03 AM »

I grew up in Oregon. But my family didn't play the points game.  I didn't start building points until my late 30s.  And moved to WA in my 40s.  Kick myself as I could have drawn the big 3 elk at least once by now (when I was a res) or an antelope.  Luckily Oregon lets you keep your points and DFW number when you move out of state.  I'm now just banking points only until I move back to our OR residence.  Given the limited number of non res tags, point creep will keep me from ever likely drawing in the 75% pool on the hard to get tags as a nonres (and 25% pool draws are pretty much impossible on those harder tags).  Thankfully Oregon has decent OTC hunts.
I'm in a similar position but I'm in my early 30's. The only OTC option I miss in Oregon is hunting desert mulies with my bow. I burned my antelope points the year before I switched my residency and never built any elk points up. If I were a resident there's a couple of tags I could build points for and have fun with but I skip Oregon as a non-resident.

Offline Halo

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 10:22:16 AM »
Just more points for me, as expected, 5 for antelope, 18 for deer and 22 for elk.

Offline KopperBuck

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 11:22:18 AM »
I still wish they'd make you declare a weapon. I think that would help with some of the creep. But everything is going up. They tried splitting W Blues bear tag to spread people around.. ya didn't work. 5 points doesn't even lock up that tag anymore.

Wife drew a ML WT tag (pretty much guaranteed). I got the late ML WT for West Blues.

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2019, 12:48:59 PM »
 Oregon doesn't have OTC muzzleloader hunts, or east side OTC deer rifle, and very limited east side OTC rifle elk. And most of the state is OTC for archery elk and deer.  So declaring weapon would be problematic for many residents on the east side that want to hunt every year as their family tradition....they would be forced to archery hunt  or drive hundreds of miles to rifle OTC. Wouldn't be fair to those east side residents. Portlanders could put in for rifle every year east side and then just hunt OTC near home of they didn't draw.

Offline KopperBuck

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2019, 12:52:09 PM »
Oregon doesn't have OTC muzzleloader hunts, or east side OTC deer rifle, and very limited east side OTC rifle elk. And most of the state is OTC for archery elk and deer.  So declaring weapon would be problematic for many residents on the east side that want to hunt every year as their family tradition....they would be forced to archery hunt  or drive hundreds of miles to rifle OTC. Wouldn't be fair to those east side residents. Portlanders could put in for rifle every year east side and then just hunt OTC near home of they didn't draw.

I live on the eastside. I'm fully aware of what it means. I actually go to the westside and hunt some years if I don't draw. What you get is people putting in for rifle tags, not drawing, than buying archery as a backup. Which can bring up some other interesting issues... anyways, make em commit. It'll spread it out a little more. But I'm also a guy that doesn't like the fact I can draw LOP every year and still pick up points - and I can draw LOP almost every year. 

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2019, 12:57:00 PM »
I'm also an east sider. I think the only way your idea works is if they make more permit only archery units, and make some OTC muzzy units.

Offline KopperBuck

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2019, 12:59:34 PM »
I agree with the muzzy tags. Somewhat perplexed by the lack of choices.

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2019, 01:02:26 PM »
Yes. It would be nice to have more muzzy tags. Take away a few OTC archery units and make them muzzy permits. That would be nice. Crazy how many OTC archery units there are. And I'm totally one of the guys that would put in for rifle then hunt archery for the years I was a resident. As a non res I just build points and archery hunt OTC.

Offline trophyelk6x6

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2019, 02:25:14 PM »
Just more points for me, as expected, 5 for antelope, 18 for deer and 22 for elk.

That 22 elk points could be interesting for a NR.........right in the big 3 wheel house I think.   

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2019, 02:28:54 PM »
I have been on a hunt and along on a hunt in one unit that takes about 3-4 points to draw. Saw a lot of bulls and elk in general on both hunts but didn't notch a tag. Hoping we can both draw next year as its a pretty fun hunt
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline spin05

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2019, 04:54:46 AM »
Drew N. Warner archery tag

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal