collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Gas money  (Read 7376 times)

Offline wolftrapper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF Pheasants Forever NRA
Gas money
« on: June 20, 2019, 07:57:30 AM »

These five sold at the June NAFA auction.  The smaller pelt, on the left, sold for $58.00.  The other four xl-lge, brought an average of $116.50.  Two of the large pelts graded as "heavies", and two as "semi-heavies"  with almost no difference in price.

The best prices I have seen in years, and I am looking forward to strong prices next season.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
Re: Gas money
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 08:14:22 AM »
Awesome!

Offline Cougartail

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 08:44:36 AM »

These five sold at the June NAFA auction.  The smaller pelt, on the left, sold for $58.00.  The other four xl-lge, brought an average of $116.50.  Two of the large pelts graded as "heavies", and two as "semi-heavies"  with almost no difference in price.

The best prices I have seen in years, and I am looking forward to strong prices next season.

What month were they shot in? Nice looking fur!
Did Trump hurt your feelings?

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

Offline wolftrapper

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 11:26:34 AM »
Mid December to mid January....prime!

Offline lord grizzly

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 11:36:06 AM »
what process do you use to dry them? i shoot a lot of coyotes but i never do anything with them. ive stretched and dried a few with borax just to have some hanging around the shop but those kind of prices could be worth the effort.

Offline linxx77

• Hunter
  • President-Washington Waterfowl Association
    • www.facebook.com/linxx77
    • Washington Waterfowl Association-Spokane Facebook
  • Groups: Washington Waterfowl Association
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 11:36:31 AM »
Wow, those are great prices. I need to learn this trade  :tup:
orbis non sufficit

Offline Cougartail

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 12:24:51 PM »
Regardless how long you've been hunting them you'll continue learning. School is never out when it comes to coyote hunting.
Did Trump hurt your feelings?

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

Offline wolftrapper

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2019, 01:28:38 PM »
what process do you use to dry them? i shoot a lot of coyotes but i never do anything with them. ive stretched and dried a few with borax just to have some hanging around the shop but those kind of prices could be worth the effort.

Just skin and flesh (scrape off all fat and muscle), then dry on a stretcher.  I make my own boards from pine, according to NAFA specs, and their website also has information on fur handling.  No need for Borax, or salt.  There are many videos online, describing how to do all of this.  I have been doing it for over sixty years, so I've had some practice.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2019, 01:33:25 PM »
I assume you trap them instead of shooting because the holes don't do well for the value. Can you comment on that and how you put them down, please? Thanks. That's some nice fur there.  :tup:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline wolftrapper

• Hunter
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2019, 04:12:26 PM »
I assume you trap them instead of shooting because the holes don't do well for the value. Can you comment on that and how you put them down, please? Thanks. That's some nice fur there.  :tup:

Actually, every one was shot, and a couple had pretty big holes.  If you sew them up, and clean all of the blood out, it usually makes little difference in price, depending on where the hole is.  When I get a pelt graded as "damaged"  it is seldom from a bullet hole, but from other causes, such as lice, or health issues with the animal.  In fact, I am sometimes amazed at the size of hole that you can sew up, and not get docked for it.  One of these coyotes had about a six inch tear in the neck, but this isn't a vital area for the fur trade, and made no difference, but I sewed it up and cleaned it thoroughly.

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2019, 04:52:46 PM »
Dang thats awesome. Very good prices. My Uncle is only getting $30-50 Pennsylvania coyotes...Fox is in the same ball park...
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2019, 05:11:56 PM »
Great put up ! The one on the right of the red is a nice one !

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2019, 02:10:53 PM »

Actually, every one was shot, and a couple had pretty big holes.  If you sew them up, and clean all of the blood out, it usually makes little difference in price, depending on where the hole is.  When I get a pelt graded as "damaged"  it is seldom from a bullet hole, but from other causes, such as lice, or health issues with the animal.  In fact, I am sometimes amazed at the size of hole that you can sew up, and not get docked for it.  One of these coyotes had about a six inch tear in the neck, but this isn't a vital area for the fur trade, and made no difference, but I sewed it up and cleaned it thoroughly.

Wow. Thanks for the info.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Cab

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2019, 02:46:41 PM »

Wow. Thanks for the info.
Great info, I have heard prices were poor for so long that I never made the effort.....but you got my attention now. Great post!

Offline coyotehunter

• Hunter
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2019, 02:21:46 PM »
Nice Job! Glad to see others coyote hunters putting up skins and getting some gas money out of them. Good looking skins you did a great job putting them up and sewing holes! What caliber are you shooting them with?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by trophyhunt
[Today at 06:05:35 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]