collapse

Advertisement


Author Topic: Raffle permit numbers.  (Read 17684 times)

Offline WAcoueshunter

  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • *****
  • Join Date: May 2007
  • Posts: 1910
Re: Raffle permit numbers.
« Reply #210 on: July 17, 2019, 02:14:31 PM »
somebody really wanted goat bad.

No kidding, almost $36K for goat.  Conversely, moose looks like it was a good deal, only $28,752 raised, so about $14K per winning ticket. 

Also find it interesting that the CA sheep tag and north central almost had the same amount raised.  Both are for a good sheep tag, but the north central just happens to have a bonus 200 series mule deer tag that comes along with it!



Offline jackelope

  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Legend
  • *****
  • Join Date: Mar 2007
  • Posts: 39891
  • Location: Duvall, WA
  • Groups: WSB RMGA NRA RMEF BHA
Re: Raffle permit numbers.
« Reply #211 on: July 17, 2019, 02:30:15 PM »
somebody really wanted goat bad.

No kidding, almost $36K for goat.  Conversely, moose looks like it was a good deal, only $28,752 raised, so about $14K per winning ticket. 

Also find it interesting that the CA sheep tag and north central almost had the same amount raised.  Both are for a good sheep tag, but the north central just happens to have a bonus 200 series mule deer tag that comes along with it!




There was more than 1 heavy hitter in the mountain goat raffle.

Somebody new decided on the last day they wanted it really bad though, that's a fact.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Bango skank

  • Political Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
  • *****
  • Join Date: May 2014
  • Posts: 3173
  • Location: colville
Re: Raffle permit numbers.
« Reply #212 on: July 17, 2019, 04:42:48 PM »
I have 25% odds on the whitetail tag.  or if youre a glass half empty kind of guy, i have 75% odds that i threw a bunch of money away.

Offline Rainier10

  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • *****
  • Join Date: Dec 2010
  • Posts: 9022
  • Location: Over the edge
Re: Raffle permit numbers.
« Reply #213 on: July 17, 2019, 06:44:02 PM »
Thatís pretty good odds of drawing a great hunt. Not a sure thing like the auction tag but not the cost either. Itís a gamble whether you buy one ticket or 300. I hope it works out for you and look forward to the pics and story if it does.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.


The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Bango skank

  • Political Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
  • *****
  • Join Date: May 2014
  • Posts: 3173
  • Location: colville
Re: Raffle permit numbers.
« Reply #214 on: July 17, 2019, 07:17:56 PM »
I had 9.7% odds in 2017 and drew it

Offline trophyhunt

  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
  • *****
  • Join Date: Nov 2008
  • Posts: 12038
  • Location: Wetside
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
Re: Raffle permit numbers.
« Reply #215 on: July 17, 2019, 07:39:32 PM »
not trying to be a dick here, but Iím always curious why guys who dump thousands trying to draw just donít buy a really good guided hunt? Wouldnít a Canadian rut hunt get you a monster whitetail?
ďIn common withĒ..... not so much!!

Offline Rainier10

  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • *****
  • Join Date: Dec 2010
  • Posts: 9022
  • Location: Over the edge
Re: Raffle permit numbers.
« Reply #216 on: July 17, 2019, 07:49:41 PM »
Iíve been on a few guided hunts. They last 10 days, Iím limited to one type of weapon and have not filled the tag more times than I have filled the tag. A raffle tag gives you every season to hunt in an area you should know well and arenít relying on a guide for. If weather is bad you can hunt another day week or month.

I think there are probably a ton a different reasons guys do it. Everyone probably has a different reason.

Rifle guys wonder why I mess around with a bow. Archery guys wonder why rifle guys donít get closer and use a bow. Each has a different reason for why they hunt the way they do.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.


The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Dan-o

  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Explorer
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jul 2010
  • Posts: 10647
Re: Raffle permit numbers.
« Reply #217 on: July 17, 2019, 07:59:33 PM »
I have 25% odds on the whitetail tag.  or if youre a glass half empty kind of guy, i have 75% odds that i threw a bunch of money away.

LOL


Not that it will help, but I really hope you get it.

something tells me you'd do justice to it.
Love your trail cam stuff.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline idahohuntr

  • Political Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Mar 2011
  • Posts: 2915
Re: Raffle permit numbers.
« Reply #218 on: July 17, 2019, 08:08:20 PM »
A raffle tag gives you every season to hunt
This.

The freedom of such a tag is a big plus.  Personally, I dont think I would enjoy a guided hunt at all...but premium tags, access fees etc. that still allow a DIY hunt would be awesome.
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline Bango skank

  • Political Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
  • *****
  • Join Date: May 2014
  • Posts: 3173
  • Location: colville
Re: Raffle permit numbers.
« Reply #219 on: July 17, 2019, 08:16:54 PM »
not trying to be a dick here, but Iím always curious why guys who dump thousands trying to draw just donít buy a really good guided hunt? Wouldnít a Canadian rut hunt get you a monster whitetail?

I see a guided hunt like that as just being a trigger puller, i wouldnt feel i earned it.  i dont just want to kill a big buck, i want to locate, scout, learn the habits of a big buck, then kill him.  More of an accomplishment than paying to go sit a blind over a bait pile on some private property youve never even laid eyes on.  I have a number of good bucks on my radar, but the one i want the most isnt even the biggest.  I have a bit of history with him from last year, several very close calls, bow drawn on him twice, got his sheds etc.  This year i intend to hang him on the wall next to his 2018 sheds.

Offline trophyhunt

  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
  • *****
  • Join Date: Nov 2008
  • Posts: 12038
  • Location: Wetside
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
Re: Raffle permit numbers.
« Reply #220 on: July 17, 2019, 08:52:53 PM »
not trying to be a dick here, but Iím always curious why guys who dump thousands trying to draw just donít buy a really good guided hunt? Wouldnít a Canadian rut hunt get you a monster whitetail?

I see a guided hunt like that as just being a trigger puller, i wouldnt feel i earned it.  i dont just want to kill a big buck, i want to locate, scout, learn the habits of a big buck, then kill him.  More of an accomplishment than paying to go sit a blind over a bait pile on some private property youve never even laid eyes on.  I have a number of good bucks on my radar, but the one i want the most isnt even the biggest.  I have a bit of history with him from last year, several very close calls, bow drawn on him twice, got his sheds etc.  This year i intend to hang him on the wall next to his 2018 sheds.
makes sense to me, best of luck to you!  Iíd say your a blessed man, sounds like it would be a great story and well earned. 
ďIn common withĒ..... not so much!!

Offline Bushcraft

  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • *****
  • Join Date: Aug 2008
  • Posts: 813
  • Location: Olympic Peninsula
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, NSSF, RMEF, RMGA, MDF, WSF, DU, HHC, WWC, WDAC
Re: Raffle permit numbers.
« Reply #221 on: July 17, 2019, 09:01:46 PM »
not trying to be a dick here, but Iím always curious why guys who dump thousands trying to draw just donít buy a really good guided hunt? Wouldnít a Canadian rut hunt get you a monster whitetail?

With rare exception, guided hunts seem to always have that "hurry-up golf" feel to them. There's a short, finite window of time you're essentially renting from someone else and you're at the mercy of a lot of different variables, not the least of which could be the ability and/or motivation of the outfitter and/or his guides that could rob you of that time. Rain, wind, snow, drought, sleet, unusually hot temps, unusually cold temps, migration timing, moon phases, issues with pack stock, issues with aircraft, issues with boats, other hunters screwing up stalks, you screwing up stalks, the guide screwing up stalks, powerlessness of the nearest witch doctor, shaman or rain dancer (  :chuckle: ), etc.

There's just a lot of variables with a guided hunt that aren't under your control that usually are if you're a DIY guy...and sometimes you can't do a whole heck of a lot about 'em.  Don't believe me? Write a check for $45K for a stone sheep hunt and head out in the bush of Northern BC with some horse wranglers that don't actually know much of anything about hunting sheep or highcountry backpack hunting for 15 days and not even see a ram...and then get back with me.  Trust me. It SUCKS watching the sands of time slip through the hour glass and you can't do a damn thing about it but bite your tongue, try and help keep camp morale up and make do the best you can.

And, perhaps most importantly, unless you want to pony up some extra cash for a friend or family member to come along (assuming they can get the vacation time)...it's just you and the guide(s).

That's not to say that guides are a bad way to go at all. There are some awesome guides and outfitters out there that are totally squared away and run some tight ships that I wouldn't hesitate to go with again.

But for me, winning a raffle is a chance to find, and specifically target, an old, old sheep, goat, moose, buck or bull elk in this state. And, do it with my friends with the luxury of time over the entire course of summer scouting (or years leading up to when you can buy the G-Tag or win a raffle or special permit application) and maybe different hunting trips in the fall and maybe film some or all of it to enjoy with them in the future.  It's about buying the chance for some awesome memories to add to your and their life story(s).

And I don't want to sound flippant about it, but some extra money is not all that hard to scrape together if a guy is willing to work his butt off for it....AND it's kind of a sad one-dimensional unit of measure anyway.

Friendships on the other hand...well, solid bonds with truly exceptional people that make you want to be a better human being...and who are ready, able, and willing to put forth as much pain, sweat and tears as you to help accomplish a goal together...even when they don't even have the tag...and you'd leap at the opportunity to do the same for them....those relationships are FAR more precious than any currency.

 :twocents:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 10:53:46 PM by Bushcraft »
Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide. 

Work hard. Hunt hard. Lift other hunters up.

*Proud supporter of NRA, NRA-ILA SCI, SCIF, SCI-PAC, NSSF, RMEF, RMGA, MDF, WSF, DU, WWA, HHC, WWC

Offline Bushcraft

  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • *****
  • Join Date: Aug 2008
  • Posts: 813
  • Location: Olympic Peninsula
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, NSSF, RMEF, RMGA, MDF, WSF, DU, HHC, WWC, WDAC
Re: Raffle permit numbers.
« Reply #222 on: July 17, 2019, 09:03:01 PM »
not trying to be a dick here, but Iím always curious why guys who dump thousands trying to draw just donít buy a really good guided hunt? Wouldnít a Canadian rut hunt get you a monster whitetail?

I see a guided hunt like that as just being a trigger puller, i wouldnt feel i earned it.  i dont just want to kill a big buck, i want to locate, scout, learn the habits of a big buck, then kill him.  More of an accomplishment than paying to go sit a blind over a bait pile on some private property youve never even laid eyes on.  I have a number of good bucks on my radar, but the one i want the most isnt even the biggest.  I have a bit of history with him from last year, several very close calls, bow drawn on him twice, got his sheds etc.  This year i intend to hang him on the wall next to his 2018 sheds.

Bingo Bango.  Good luck man.

Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide. 

Work hard. Hunt hard. Lift other hunters up.

*Proud supporter of NRA, NRA-ILA SCI, SCIF, SCI-PAC, NSSF, RMEF, RMGA, MDF, WSF, DU, WWA, HHC, WWC

Offline Gringo31

  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • ******
  • Join Date: May 2009
  • Posts: 5405
Re: Raffle permit numbers.
« Reply #223 on: July 17, 2019, 09:12:50 PM »
Spot on Bushcraft...


I wish you the very best.   :tup:
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline teanawayslayer

  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Mar 2010
  • Posts: 2532
  • Location: Eastside
Re: Raffle permit numbers.
« Reply #224 on: July 17, 2019, 09:16:57 PM »
Friendships on the other hand...well, solid bonds with truly exceptional people that make you want to be a better human being...and who are ready, able, and willing to put forth as much pain, sweat and tears as you to help accomplish a goal together...even when they don't even have the tag...those relationships are FAR more precious than any currency.

Well said bushcraft! You hit the nail on the head with this statement
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

 


* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Late Season Modern Blacktail 2019 by Dark2Dark
[Today at 05:36:05 AM]


NE whitetail rut by Rutnbuxnbulls
[Today at 05:32:39 AM]


Da Big one (or two) by Bango skank
[Today at 05:22:32 AM]


late 49 moose down by Skyvalhunter
[Today at 05:06:21 AM]


Rufus Woods Guide recommendation? by Skyvalhunter
[Today at 05:04:00 AM]


Feeler: 2014 Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo by steeliedrew
[Today at 05:01:46 AM]


Studded snow tires for sale: 265 75 16LT by Dan-o
[Yesterday at 11:31:52 PM]


2 3/4 inch for ducks by CackleBird98
[Yesterday at 10:55:51 PM]


Another Week in the Frank by Dan-o
[Yesterday at 10:39:59 PM]


FS: Kifaru, Firstlite, Lathrop and Sons by brocka
[Yesterday at 10:35:38 PM]


Lets see pictures of your Mancaves! by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 10:28:42 PM]


Help picking out a Christmas rifle for My Boy coming back from deployment by ThomMedic
[Yesterday at 10:27:54 PM]


Trapping on corps of engineers lands by hoyt2002
[Yesterday at 10:23:05 PM]


2019 Elk Harvest Post Here!!! by grundy53
[Yesterday at 10:01:37 PM]


3 years (update...now 4) A Buck History (Groucho) by grundy53
[Yesterday at 09:59:42 PM]


2019 Season: "It's not that bad guys, it only hurts if I walk on it" by elkrack
[Yesterday at 09:33:55 PM]


Prince of Wales Blacktail by RB
[Yesterday at 09:29:32 PM]


WTB: DSD GIANT/HONKER Decoys by jhawk13
[Yesterday at 09:16:31 PM]


Stone Glacier X-curve Solo Set-up (price drop) by johns8168
[Yesterday at 09:01:44 PM]


Super Swampers 42x15-20 by huntnfmly
[Yesterday at 08:45:26 PM]