collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Raffle permit numbers.  (Read 45925 times)

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
Re: Raffle permit numbers.
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2019, 10:46:02 PM »
It's funny how they re-update them after a stern phone call.  It's a pretty comical raffle if you actually expect them to update the numbers when they say they will. To the right person, it's worthy of a lawsuit. :twocents:

Not sure when they ‘say’ they will update the numbers, but they’ve consistently updated the numbers every Monday for the last several weeks. When do they say they will?

You obviously haven't followed the raffles closely the last several years. Many times it takes months to update. If they state it will be updated weekly on a certain date, it should be updated accordingly for those who participate. Am I wrong?

No, you’re not wrong. But they have been updating weekly this year. Every Monday, like clockwork. That’s why I didn’t understand what your point was. Are you implying that the “stern phone call” changed their process 6-ish weeks ago?

No, the last few weeks they have, but in april they went 3 weeks without updating.  i emailed them and complained.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2019, 08:55:10 AM »
It's funny how they re-update them after a stern phone call.  It's a pretty comical raffle if you actually expect them to update the numbers when they say they will. To the right person, it's worthy of a lawsuit. :twocents:

Not sure when they ‘say’ they will update the numbers, but they’ve consistently updated the numbers every Monday for the last several weeks. When do they say they will?

You obviously haven't followed the raffles closely the last several years. Many times it takes months to update. If they state it will be updated weekly on a certain date, it should be updated accordingly for those who participate. Am I wrong?

No, you’re not wrong. But they have been updating weekly this year. Every Monday, like clockwork. That’s why I didn’t understand what your point was. Are you implying that the “stern phone call” changed their process 6-ish weeks ago?

No, the last few weeks they have, but in april they went 3 weeks without updating.  i emailed them and complained.
Serious questions here and not being a jerk.

When did raffle sales start?  I would have thought they started after the regs came out and I would have thought that would have been in mid April.

Did they update one week after sales started and then not update for three weeks or did they go on sale but not update for three weeks?

I really am asking because just out of curiosity.

First I checked them was 4/22 and then again on 5/13 but I don't know if they posted results before that or in between those dates.

I am guessing your complaint was between the 4/22 and 5/13 updates and they took action.

What I took away from witnessing the draw this year is the WDFW really is trying to be transparent and get as much information to the public as possible in a timely manner.

Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline idahohuntr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2019, 09:29:58 AM »
Seems like a waste of staff resources to post ticket sales regularly.  I'm going to email/call and suggest they stop providing sales data until after the draw.  My guess is they would make more money doing this anyways...people wouldn't know the numbers and you might actually entice more people to drop big sums of $$ since they would not know if other big spenders were after the same tag.  No other state does this with their raffles that I'm aware of and they don't provide app numbers real time for the regular draw...so I see no reason to do it here.

The more I think about it, this makes perfect sense and is a win for WDFW...I'll start working on lobbying them hard on this soon!!  Hopefully this change can be implemented next year.  Once they realize their ability to make more $$ it won't take long to implement.  :chuckle:
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline Caseyd

• Site Sponsor
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2019, 09:37:35 AM »
Seems like a waste of staff resources to post ticket sales regularly.  I'm going to email/call and suggest they stop providing sales data until after the draw.  My guess is they would make more money doing this anyways...people wouldn't know the numbers and you might actually entice more people to drop big sums of $$ since they would not know if other big spenders were after the same tag.  No other state does this with their raffles that I'm aware of and they don't provide app numbers real time for the regular draw...so I see no reason to do it here.

The more I think about it, this makes perfect sense and is a win for WDFW...I'll start working on lobbying them hard on this soon!!  Hopefully this change can be implemented next year.  Once they realize their ability to make more $$ it won't take long to implement.  :chuckle:

Maybe it’s a stipulation of the Wa Gaming Commission

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2019, 10:13:56 AM »

You're so cool behind that keyboard. I love to meet up for coffee to discuss this as I've mentioned before. What's wrong with WDFW saying they will be updated weekly and them not keeping up with what they say? If I'm investing money, then they better keep their word. That goes for all of us that apply for raffles.

Such a waste of resources to take 5 minutes to post weekly updates. :stup:

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2019, 10:16:48 AM »

When did raffle sales start?  I would have thought they started after the regs came out and I would have thought that would have been in mid April.

Did they update one week after sales started and then not update for three weeks or did they go on sale but not update for three weeks?

First I checked them was 4/22 and then again on 5/13 but I don't know if they posted results before that or in between those dates.

I am guessing your complaint was between the 4/22 and 5/13 updates and they took action.

What I took away from witnessing the draw this year is the WDFW really is trying to be transparent and get as much information to the public as possible in a timely manner.

I was mainly referring to the past several years. Updates have basically never been weekly like they claim. Calls have been made and updates have came. It shouldn't have to be that way.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2019, 10:38:32 AM »
Gotcha.

I think Bushcraft was pushing big for better updates the year that he got involved in the goat raffle too.

Seems like the multiple requests, calls and emails have worked and they are getting them out on a more regular basis now.

It's nice to see them act on requests from the customers.

Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline idahohuntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2019, 11:55:17 AM »

You're so cool behind that keyboard. I love to meet up for coffee to discuss this as I've mentioned before. What's wrong with WDFW saying they will be updated weekly and them not keeping up with what they say? If I'm investing money, then they better keep their word. That goes for all of us that apply for raffles.

IF WDFW is going to sell or raffle away wildlife I want them to get what makes the most money to provide the greatest benefit to the public who owns those resources...not cater to the whiners and complainers because they want their recent $5k purchase to be reflected in recent raffle sales so as to discourage others from jumping in.  If you want to participate in a venue where you know the amount needed to "win" a tag...participate in the auctions, they provide very rapid updates on the current price... real time   :chuckle: 

If you consider purchasing raffle tickets "investing money"...well...   :stup:  :chuckle: :chuckle: 
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2019, 12:15:49 PM »
I'm also not trying to be a smartass, but am wondering where they say they'll post it every X number of days, weekly or whatever. I just looked because I didn't recall seeing it posted online and I don't see it.  Maybe there's a WAC somewhere or something that says they need to. I don't have time to dig into that. Really just curious now. I bet not seeing the sales numbers would encourage others to jump in as well. When the number of raffle tickets jumps suddenly by 1000 tickets, I'm out because a high roller just threw down and there's pretty much no point. If I couldn't see that, I might still be interested in jumping in for a few bucks here and there. I'm not even remotely close to a high roller for the record.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2019, 12:16:55 PM »

IF WDFW is going to sell or raffle away wildlife I want them to get what makes the most money to provide the greatest benefit to the public who owns those resources...not cater to the whiners and complainers because they want their recent $5k purchase to be reflected in recent raffle sales so as to discourage others from jumping in.  If you want to participate in a venue where you know the amount needed to "win" a tag...participate in the auctions, they provide very rapid updates on the current price... real time   :chuckle: 

If you consider purchasing raffle tickets "investing money"...well...   :stup:  :chuckle: :chuckle:

Ya I hate transparency too when it comes to government departments. It feels really good when I know they are not disclosing facts to the people so they can get even more money. On the flipside maybe more "small dollar" people will actually buy the ticket or 2 when they at least know what the odds are. I know many people who refuse to buy huntin fool raffles because they don't disclose any odds at all. Even if my odds are .001% I personally feel more comfortable throwing money at the chance when I know what it is regardless of odds. I still agree the government purposefully withholding information to make more money is a great idea though  :chuckle:     

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2019, 02:12:08 PM »
I'm also not trying to be a smartass, but am wondering where they say they'll post it every X number of days, weekly or whatever. I just looked because I didn't recall seeing it posted online and I don't see it.  Maybe there's a WAC somewhere or something that says they need to. I don't have time to dig into that. Really just curious now. I bet not seeing the sales numbers would encourage others to jump in as well. When the number of raffle tickets jumps suddenly by 1000 tickets, I'm out because a high roller just threw down and there's pretty much no point. If I couldn't see that, I might still be interested in jumping in for a few bucks here and there. I'm not even remotely close to a high roller for the record.

They've apparently taken that off these days. It used to say at the top before the raffles. I don't see it now anyway.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2019, 08:49:10 PM »

There was a big gap in updating.  I know it was updated somewhere in late April, and then not again for a few weeks.  They were doing it weekly before, then had a delay, and now it seems to be weekly.  I got really curious because subtracting the numbers I had before the late delay from the previous update led me to believe there were a few thousand tickets sold in one particular category.  Then after the update it was only like a quarter of what I was coming up with.  The weekly updates are nice.

Offline Threewolves

• Longhunter
  • USA (R)
  • Groups: VFW, NRA
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2019, 09:15:15 AM »
Wow this looks like fun. I do not mind being a smart ass. I am usually a polite smart ass. Guys the raffle, the draw its luck. I am just grateful I can hunt elk

The first time I put in for the raffle I bought one tickets for each animal back when is was 5 plus dollars a try. I won the goat tag. I guess you could say I am a super lucky smart ass.

Because I think it was two years before the above I drew a goat tag in the regular draw (Not the raffle) the year before it went to once in a life time. Yep I could tell you how I am sitting on 24 points for sheep, 21 (again) for goat, 20 for moose, but I won't. If you want to hunt that stuff save your money and go to AK. Don't wait 24 plus years.

So, I'll buy one raffle for each, hopefully be a super lucky polite smart ass and be grateful I can hunt elk.

There are only so many sunrises left.

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2019, 10:21:04 AM »
Wow this looks like fun. I do not mind being a smart ass. I am usually a polite smart ass. Guys the raffle, the draw its luck. I am just grateful I can hunt elk

The first time I put in for the raffle I bought one tickets for each animal back when is was 5 plus dollars a try. I won the goat tag. I guess you could say I am a super lucky smart ass.

Because I think it was two years before the above I drew a goat tag in the regular draw (Not the raffle) the year before it went to once in a life time. Yep I could tell you how I am sitting on 24 points for sheep, 21 (again) for goat, 20 for moose, but I won't. If you want to hunt that stuff save your money and go to AK. Don't wait 24 plus years.

So, I'll buy one raffle for each, hopefully be a super lucky polite smart ass and be grateful I can hunt elk.

luck is the name of the game. I wouldn’t say your being a smart ass. But more bragging than anything. But I guess if I had your luck I’d do the same :chuckle:
I’ve probably spent over 10k in tickets in the past 4 years. The closest I’ve ever came in was the fifth looser. Had a buddy several years ago didn’t know the raffle existed until I told him about it. 8 mule deer tickets and winner winner chicken dinner! Luck luck luck. This year I scaled way back my odds will be just as good and my bank account won’t look so bleak. :tup:
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline Threewolves

• Longhunter
  • USA (R)
  • Groups: VFW, NRA
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2019, 11:23:33 AM »
T/S

You may be right on that bragging thing.

Your investments in raffle tickets: aggressive, I like it, better than waiting on 24 sheep points to pay off.

MY brag: I got both my grandsons at age 11 & 13 on deer, does back to back just shy of 250 yards, one shot each.  It was one of the coolest things I have ever been associated with it was all about the boys.   
There are only so many sunrises left.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand