collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Training advice/techniques Labradors  (Read 2363 times)

Offline Westside88

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Training advice/techniques Labradors
« on: June 21, 2019, 10:07:25 PM »
I lost my old Lab Sam a few weeks ago. We’re looking at getting another lab and I want to be prepared. The last two Labs I’ve had I followed Richard Wolters methods from his training book Gun Dog. I recently met a guy with a 6 month old dog that’s doing great and he’s using the same methods. My intention is to again follow these methods, but I wanted to see if there’s something I’m missing. It’s been 12+ years so I just wanted to ask what you all have had success with. Thanks

Offline ghosthunter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
Re: Training advice/techniques Labradors
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 10:44:25 PM »
Well I did the same thing with two labs.

I guess the question is what you want out of the dog and what level.

For me Game Dog, and a couple group sessions gave me results I was content with.
Is she perfect, nope.
Can she pass hunt tests ? Well the first one did , but by the time the 2 nd dog came along I didn’t need or have interest in hunt tests.

I trained every day for years, now not so much. She still remembers her job. And enjoys it.

I had a friend take his dog and have it trained. She was a very good upland dog. But whined the whole time waiting for ducks. This was more a product of my friend than any training. He preferred to upland hunt and be moving thus is dog took it on too.
Both were fidget waiting for ducks.
I on the other hand sit long hours for ducks ,and my lab sits quietly by my side scanning the sky. When the bird falls she’s a streak.

I think the average guy who is committed can do a good job at training their own gun dog. Just takes commitment.
I went to the used book store and bought every old retriever  training book I could find.
If I ran in to a problem I would sit down at night and gleen  all the books for ideas on that problem.

At lot of issues were solved by just taking a break.  :twocents:
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Colin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 11:35:34 PM »
Bill Hillman - Training a Retriever Puppy DVD

Wolters books is one of my favorites. The story about Jet gets me choked up everytime. The techniques are dated but sound and will produce a decent hunting dog but limit a dogs potential in my opinion.

Rick Stawski has a DVD series for 6 months and on that's decently priced and goes over the basic steps.

Mike Lardy and Evan Graham have DVD series they sell for more as well as some other big names. YBS Media has most of them online for sale. Bow Wow Flux was a subscription service that used to rent DVDs kind of like Netflix does and is a cheap way to get a lit of exposure to DVDs.

Honestly you can't beat learning from a good pro in person tho.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline HaydenHunter

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 12:19:52 PM »
Mike Lardy and Evan Graham have DVD series they sell for more as well as some other big names. YBS Media has most of them online for sale. Bow Wow Flux was a subscription service that used to rent DVDs kind of like Netflix does and is a cheap way to get a lit of exposure to DVDs.

I subscribed to Bow Wow Flix just last month and have started with Evan Graham's Smartworks program rented from there.  You can rent the DVDs one at a time and when you are done with one you ship it back and they send you the next one on your list (for me, the next Smartworks disc).  They are located in WA state so it does not take a long time for your DVDs to reach you. And the monthly fee is modest.  If there is a dog-related DVD you don't see available on their site you can suggest it to them and they will put it in stock.  Its' working out for me so far.

Offline Colin

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 07:06:54 AM »
Good know they are still in business. I may have to check them out and see if they have a few DVDs I been meaning to watch!

Offline Colin

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 12:10:25 PM »
Would good to check in with one of the clubs also. Where you located?

Offline Westside88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 12:14:45 PM »
Would good to check in with one of the clubs also. Where you located?

I’m in Grays Harbor, I’ve been talking with people I know that have good
Dogs and getting a lot of Wolters book along with DVD’s advice

Offline Colin

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 12:19:50 PM »
Newaukum retriever club is probably closest. Not much as far as retriever clubs out there unfortunately.

If you want to make a trip to Monroe there's two retriever clubs here. Whistling Wings HRC and Cascade HRC. Might be too far for yah tho.

Offline avidnwoutdoorsman

• Forum Sponsor
  • Scout
  • Groups: NWTF, PF, TU, DU, BCWF, NRA, BCH&A
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 04:05:11 PM »
Just picked my pup up from school... $60 a year gets you a subscription to The Retriever Trainer (.com)... worth it. I knew I couldnt make the commitment to "start" my dog and why I did school. Looking at what is offered on this site though is everything you could possibly need to know... aside from gleaning from good books and other resources.
Keep Calm Gobble On

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal