collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mtn bike / trailer for hunting  (Read 8888 times)

Offline kselkhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Mtn bike / trailer for hunting
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2019, 12:50:36 AM »
Fat tire matters most in snow and mud.  If on gravel road, not so much.  Disc brakes are preferred.  If you have a place that allows ebikes, the conversions are cheaper than the "factory e-bikes". 

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2019, 01:11:41 AM »
Dont want an e bike.  Would the fat tires suck on dry roads? Id like to be able to use the bike on both dry roads and in a little snow or mud.  Would going for a happy middle ground on tire width be a good idea?

Online JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2019, 03:29:40 AM »
Wider the tire = more effort to pedal

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2019, 02:06:03 PM »
Dont want an e bike.  Would the fat tires suck on dry roads? Id like to be able to use the bike on both dry roads and in a little snow or mud.  Would going for a happy middle ground on tire width be a good idea?

I got a 3.5" hybrid tire and like it,  I've used it in the mud and wished it was a tad wider.  I've used it on hard roads and wished it was a bit narrower.   
Overall I think it's a good compromise, the tire works well in loose gravel roads.

Specialized Fuse with disk brakes and shock on the front, hard tail.  Its been a great bike and joy to ride once I changed the saddle out for a bit fat comfy one for my unconditioned arse. 
It takes a long time to condition your arse, we ain't kids anymore! 

The narrow saddle would cut off blood supply to the boys and put them to sleep, like you slept on your arm you get that horrible and slightly painful tingling??
magnify that times 1000 for when the boys go to sleep  :o

You're welcome to try the bike out, I think we're close to the same height?  My seat post won't go down any further not sure whats up there but its locked in good even when I fully loosen the clamp.

Danny at Clarks All Sports treated me pretty good and knocked some money off and set it up.  He's pretty knowledgeable and I've known him since he was in diapers  :chuckle:

this is the newer version of mine, same thing, wish i coulda got that sage green!
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/fuse-27-5/p/171070?color=263341-171070

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2019, 02:08:34 PM »
I converted a kid trailer.  I hauled out an elk on it.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2019, 02:09:27 PM »
Ill definitely take you up on that offer of trying the bike out.  When i get home from alaska im going to be very busy checking cams, hanging a few more stands, scouting the blues with a friend, hopefully killing a couple bears in august etc, but ill sure try to squeeze in time for a bike ride, thanks.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2019, 02:18:22 PM »
Ill definitely take you up on that offer of trying the bike out.  When i get home from alaska im going to be very busy checking cams, hanging a few more stands, scouting the blues with a friend, hopefully killing a couple bears in august etc, but ill sure try to squeeze in time for a bike ride, thanks.

:tup:

Just be aware that the newer higher end bikes use a special air pump, no idea why, but I had to freaking buy a special pump for a special valve  :rolleyes:

Also, if you want to run a rack some of the bikes are harder to find mounting options depending on the frame, I'm not really interested in putting on panniers or a rack.
I think I'll just run a trailer eventually.

Offline MHWASH

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2019, 08:29:32 PM »
I ride a Trek Marlin 5 with 2.20” tires and disk brakes. I m real happy with the bike, but don’t have much experience other than a few Walmart type bikes. For a trailer I use a kid carrier that I added a hard bottom. I’ve carried about 75# on the trailer.

Offline Jellymon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2019, 08:44:47 PM »
My  :twocents:. Make sure to get a hardtail (no rear suspension). They’re lighter, less to go wrong, and the big one, way easier to pedal up hills. I have hunted on my duel suspension 35lb trail bike for years and always found myself pushing more then everyone else. One trip I used one of thier hardtails and what a world of difference! I was pedaling hills I usually pushed. And that was with worse gearing than my duel suspension bike.

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2019, 08:54:08 PM »
There was a couple companies making killer hunting bike trailers a while back but it’s such a niche market, they stopped. If you’re gonna pull any kind of cart, behind a bike downhill, loaded, disc brakes are almost a must or you may be wearing the meat.  And, put slime tubes in your bike tires unless you enjoy fixing flat tires.
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline ridgefire

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2019, 10:17:23 PM »
I have used a Burley brand kid hauler for years with great success. Wheels are getting pretty bent up now from bouncing off rocks but everything else has held up great. The trailer will collapse flat so great for storing and takes up minimal space when in the back of truck. I have seen them at Goodwill for under $10.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2019, 12:32:15 AM »
Heres what we came up.with the cables 2 wheel cart with custom hillbilly hitch attach thingy to the seat post. Works great! You have the game cart to be able to haul meat to trail or road then hitch up.and pedal away. One important part was to be able to have someone push going up hills at comfortable height with out bending way down. Stuff you think about as you body ages.

I like how you set that up.  I have one of the big cabelas game carts, i might go that route rather than buying a separate trailer

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2019, 05:02:04 AM »
Wow you guys have a lot of stuff to haul
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2019, 06:42:11 AM »

:tup:

Just be aware that the newer higher end bikes use a special air pump, no idea why, but I had to freaking buy a special pump for a special valve  :rolleyes:

Also, if you want to run a rack some of the bikes are harder to find mounting options depending on the frame, I'm not really interested in putting on panniers or a rack.
I think I'll just run a trailer eventually.
Your referring to a Presta Valve and they’ve been around for a long time, usually found on higher end bikes or Tires requiring higher pressures. I have them on my Felt mountain bike and I have a pump that works with both style valves. Also you can buy little screw on adapters for the Presto valves to use a regular pump designed for the Schrader valve.

Offline outdooraddict

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2019, 12:08:19 PM »
are bikes a good method compared to hiking, where i hunt in idaho it is a lot of logging roads that are passable in a vehile, however they are gated, is peddling uphill as easy or harder than walking? or what have the actual benifits been that you have personally noticed, spead, ability to haul more, etc?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]