collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ethics of using someone else's treestand?  (Read 8660 times)

Offline Odell

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
Re: Ethics of using someone else's treestand?
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2019, 04:11:52 PM »
This whole thing is weird. How about donít leave stuff on public land? Using a stand or blind is not the same thing as using a bike or tent. By leaving a stand you are taking a spot someone else could be hunting. Sometimes there is only one good spot for a stand. Why should one person be able to claim it for themselves?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
what in the wild wild world of sports???

Offline romaknows

• Political Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2019, 04:12:40 PM »
While I would not sit in a stand that was not mine, I also have thought it would be hard to justify if someone "claimed " a real active wallow, trail, saddle , waterhole for there own all season by hanging stands in those locations.I have never came across this ,but I would think it could happen in smaller areas open to hunt with most of the game being concentrated.
high country rules!

Offline donsk16

• Political Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2019, 04:20:50 PM »
To those comparing it to your tent, underpants, etc - this is far different if the property is abandoned.  Unless you leave your underpants in the woods for 2 weeks...

Using national forests laws and guidelines as a reference, a person or their property cannot remain on dispersed national forest land for more than 14 days in a 30 day period.

I think the people breaking the law by leaving the stand are the unethical people.  If you know the stand has been there for more than the legally allowed time, it isn’t their property anymore, it’s the national forest’s property (most likely the national forest rangers would dispose of their newly acquired property if they had the resources ...).  If you don’t know if the stand has been there for over the legally allowed time, don’t touch it, it might be private property still.

Offline KFhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • My posts do not reflect an official opinion of HW
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2019, 04:24:52 PM »
This whole thing is weird. How about donít leave stuff on public land? Using a stand or blind is not the same thing as using a bike or tent. By leaving a stand you are taking a spot someone else could be hunting. Sometimes there is only one good spot for a stand. Why should one person be able to claim it for themselves?

To those comparing it to your tent, underpants, etc - this is far different if the property is abandoned.  Unless you leave your underpants in the woods for 2 weeks...

Using national forests laws and guidelines as a reference, a person or their property cannot remain on dispersed national forest land for more than 14 days in a 30 day period.

I think the people breaking the law by leaving the stand are the unethical people.  If you know the stand has been there for more than the legally allowed time, it isnít their property anymore, itís the national forestís property (most likely the national forest rangers would dispose of their newly acquired property if they had the resources ...).  If you donít know if the stand has been there for over the legally allowed time, donít touch it, it might be private property still.

If I go camping and hang a stand for 1 or 2 weeks use and never leave to go home, is it any different than a bicycle parked near a gate?

Offline Odell

• Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2019, 04:33:08 PM »

I think the people breaking the law by leaving the stand are the unethical people.  If you know the stand has been there for more than the legally allowed time, it isnít their property anymore, itís the national forestís property (most likely the national forest rangers would dispose of their newly acquired property if they had the resources ...).  If you donít know if the stand has been there for over the legally allowed time, donít touch it, it might be private property still.

If I go camping and hang a stand for 1 or 2 weeks use and never leave to go home, is it any different than a bicycle parked near a gate?

Yes. If no one else can use it your stand is keeping people from being able to hunt that spot.

Why it is so hard to take it down when you are done?

Offline KFhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2019, 04:40:34 PM »
So I should uproot my camp each night and find a new spot each morning?  In case someone else wants that spot?

Offline Odell

• Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2019, 04:50:48 PM »
So I should uproot my camp each night and find a new spot each morning?  In case someone else wants that spot?

No. But if you sleep in your tree stand you won't have to worry about someone hunting it.

Offline KFhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2019, 04:58:07 PM »
Or stay out of peoples tree stands

Offline donsk16

• Political Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2019, 06:07:06 PM »
This whole thing is weird. How about don’t leave stuff on public land? Using a stand or blind is not the same thing as using a bike or tent. By leaving a stand you are taking a spot someone else could be hunting. Sometimes there is only one good spot for a stand. Why should one person be able to claim it for themselves?

I think the people breaking the law by leaving the stand are the unethical people.  If you know the stand has been there for more than the legally allowed time, it isn’t their property anymore, it’s the national forest’s property (most likely the national forest rangers would dispose of their newly acquired property if they had the resources ...).  If you don’t know if the stand has been there for over the legally allowed time, don’t touch it, it might be private property still.

Not sure how your examples are relevant to what I said....if you leave your camp for 2+ weeks, your bike at a gate for 2+ weeks or your tree stand in a tree for 2+ weeks on NF land, it’s illegal and the NF will dispose of the property that was abandoned on their (or our) land.  To leave any of those in place for long periods is also very disrespectful to others who want to use that land, tree, camping spot etc. and you shouldn’t be upset if others want to use that camping spot, parking spot or tree stand.

Offline meatwhack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2019, 06:39:15 PM »
Iíd sit in a heartbeat and have. Just because you put a stand up five years ago doesnít make that your spot. If someone comes chances are Iíll move depending how they treat me. This ethics discussion goes both ways.

Offline huntnfmly

• Political Topics
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2019, 07:02:16 PM »
These type of threads always amaze but enlightens me to the ethics of alot of the members on here.
It's really simple if it's not yours don't mess with or use I don't care how long it's been out there except for obviously abandoned stands that are rusted away or fell down
I'm your dam tour guide arty...
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline dwils233

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2019, 07:17:58 PM »
These type of threads always amaze but enlightens me to the ethics of alot of the members on here.
It's really simple if it's not yours don't mess with or use I don't care how long it's been out there except for obviously abandoned stands that are rusted away or fell down

Because ethics can be collective and individual you're always going to get a million perspectives. After all, the leave no trace ethic is a very common one and does apply to leaving your stuff in the woods...but different people would argue even that point.
 I don't think I'm likely to sit someone else's stand but I also don't think people should be leave something out for weeks or months at a time in public lands. At the very least, it should be like baiting bear in idaho- marked with a tag issued to the owner and required removal dates
A promise made is a debt unpaid, and the trail has its own stern code

Offline Odell

• Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2019, 07:25:35 PM »

Letís say you pack your stand into a wallow you have hunted before. There sits some other stand on the only tree that allows you to hunt this spot with the current wind direction.

You just leave because some other hunter was so lazy they canít be bothered to pack their stand out?

Offline huntnfmly

• Political Topics
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2019, 07:31:42 PM »

Because ethics can be collective and individual you're always going to get a million perspectives. After all, the leave no trace ethic is a very common one and does apply to leaving your stuff in the woods...but different people would argue even that point.
 I don't think I'm likely to sit someone else's stand but I also don't think people should be leave something out for weeks or months at a time in public lands. At the very least, it should be like baiting bear in idaho- marked with a tag issued to the owner and required removal dates
I have no problem with that and I've always had the mindset that if someone leaves a stand or pop up blind left up how about putting the times and dates that you would be using them and allowing people to use on the other days and I know people will say what would keep someone from putting the whole season for the dates they are using it but then you're just back to if it's not yours leave it alone
I'm your dam tour guide arty...
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline KFhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2019, 07:33:55 PM »

What I see is a huge difference in E side vs W side hunter ethics.   I'm not faulting W/WA hunters its just that there's far more competition for space and animals, so hanging a stand and expecting it to not get used isn't the same.   

We're all a product of our experience and apply our ethics according to that experience, if you're used to combat hunting then your ethics will be very different than someone who rarely see's another hunter in a weeks hunt. 

If anyone gets anything out of this thread it's perhaps that your ethics should fit the area and hunt that you're in.  If you've combat hunted your whole life then go and hunt right on top of other hunters in an out of state or rural area its going to be frowned upon, likewise if you're a rural hunter that never see's anyone and you go on a combat hunt then you need to change your game plan and prepare to rub elbows and chase your game right after the shot. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

People on Cams by Timberstalker
[Today at 04:31:31 AM]

Ideal crab pot setup? by Parasite
[Today at 03:40:47 AM]

Metolius by spin05
[Today at 01:31:21 AM]

Opinions and experiences with 22lr conversion kits for AR15. by huntnphool
[Today at 12:06:34 AM]

Help choosing a new hunting caliber. by jeffro
[Yesterday at 11:43:12 PM]

WDFW Looking to Decriminalize Many Violations So Prosecutors Can Handle Cases by follow maggie
[Yesterday at 11:42:59 PM]

Swarovski binos by M_ray
[Yesterday at 11:38:22 PM]

Bad Taxidermy by N7XW
[Yesterday at 11:28:30 PM]

Diverse group by nwalpineguide
[Yesterday at 11:24:22 PM]

WTS S&W 329pd and holsters by John B
[Yesterday at 11:14:26 PM]

WTS: Barnett vortex hunter bow package rh by Salmon man
[Yesterday at 11:12:51 PM]

Anyone Know Darin Fuson Taxidermy by Pathfinder101