collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ethics of using someone else's treestand?  (Read 26074 times)

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Ethics of using someone else's treestand?
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2019, 07:34:37 PM »
These type of threads always amaze but enlightens me to the ethics of alot of the members on here.
It's really simple if it's not yours don't mess with or use I don't care how long it's been out there except for obviously abandoned stands that are rusted away or fell down

Let’s say you pack your stand into a wallow you have hunted before. There sits some other stand on the only tree that allows you to hunt this spot with the current wind direction.

You just leave because some other hunter was so lazy they can’t be bothered to pack their stand out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No sir just place your stand somewhere out of sight then sit at the base of the tree the stand is on and hunt the wallow
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline meatwhack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2019, 08:26:17 PM »
When you can tell someone is actively hunting a stand vs one that’s been in the same spot for years it’s totally different in my opinion.

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2019, 01:23:21 PM »
My neighbor has left his truck parked in the public right of way for more than a few weeks at a time, is that long enough for me to go use it?

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2019, 02:20:10 PM »
Years ago, a friend's stepfather had exclusive hunting rights on a choice piece of private property: and had been told anyone else in there was trespassing.  During deer season the stepfather often took my friend and his friend (high school age) hunting on the weekends.  One day they arrived as usual, the two friends went one way while the stepdad went the other. 

As my friend and his buddy skirted a wooded swamp, they noticed a recently hung tree stand on "their" hunting land.  One was inspired to climb up and leave his "morning constitutional" on the trespasser's stand. 

That evening, driving home the stepfather was silent.  My friend asked what was wrong, he said "I came up last week and hung a tree stand by the swamp.  Some sick @#$%^&*( ..."
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2019, 02:26:21 PM »
:chuckle:

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2019, 03:33:56 PM »
I had flagging tape marking my stand and cams but someone stole it so I can't find them now... :rolleyes:

Offline Odell

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2019, 04:56:11 PM »
My neighbor has left his truck parked in the public right of way for more than a few weeks at a time, is that long enough for me to go use it?

There are different rules for different types of abandoned property. Depends on where and what. To have an abandoned car towed contact your local municipality.

Tree stands in national forest are allowed as long as they are not left unattended. Pack them in and out.

Different rules on different properties.

what in the wild wild world of sports???

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2019, 05:12:02 PM »

There are different rules for different types of abandoned property. Depends on where and what. To have an abandoned car towed contact your local municipality.

Tree stands in national forest are allowed as long as they are not left unattended. Pack them in and out.

Different rules on different properties.

The national Forest isn't a wild west free for all just like the street in front of my house isn't. Just as the appropriate response to a truck parked on the street unmoving for weeks or months (never actually bothered me for the record just using it in the example) should be dealt with by notifying the authorities and letting them sort it out so to should a tree stand. Vigilante justice is pretty well always a bad idea.

Offline meatwhack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2019, 05:37:20 PM »
Comparing this to an abandoned vehicle is a pretty poor comparison but whatever floats your boat. I’m also fairly sure on most public land as well as most timber company land it’s illegal to leave permanent stands which if they’ve been there years that’s considered permanent.

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2019, 05:43:50 PM »
Years ago, a friend's stepfather had exclusive hunting rights on a choice piece of private property: and had been told anyone else in there was trespassing.  During deer season the stepfather often took my friend and his friend (high school age) hunting on the weekends.  One day they arrived as usual, the two friends went one way while the stepdad went the other. 

As my friend and his buddy skirted a wooded swamp, they noticed a recently hung tree stand on "their" hunting land.  One was inspired to climb up and leave his "morning constitutional" on the trespasser's stand. 

That evening, driving home the stepfather was silent.  My friend asked what was wrong, he said "I came up last week and hung a tree stand by the swamp.  Some sick @#$%^&*( ..."
😆😆
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2019, 05:58:35 PM »
Comparing this to an abandoned vehicle is a pretty poor comparison but whatever floats your boat. I’m also fairly sure on most public land as well as most timber company land it’s illegal to leave permanent stands which if they’ve been there years that’s considered permanent.

That's pretty much what I'm saying. If it's against the law and we have law enforcement to enforce those laws why would I think that it's my responsibility to take action against it without involving them? I didn't make the rules, I am not charged with enforcing the rules, I don't know the big picture of what's all going on in the area with whom, it's not my stand, I say leave it alone and report it if you want but don't climb into it.

Offline Odell

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2019, 06:38:46 PM »

That's pretty much what I'm saying. If it's against the law and we have law enforcement to enforce those laws why would I think that it's my responsibility to take action against it without involving them? I didn't make the rules, I am not charged with enforcing the rules, I don't know the big picture of what's all going on in the area with whom, it's not my stand, I say leave it alone and report it if you want but don't climb into it.

This is an ethical thread, not a legal thread. Asking individual ethics. If someone is trying to block me from hunting public land, i'm not losing sleep over moving or using a stand. And I would move a truck blocking me if I could do it without damaging it. Just like I would take down a fake "no trespassing/hunting" sign on public land.

I understand some of you hold an ethic that apparently keeps you from even touching something you don't own. I have no problem with that. I just don't see it the same way. Public hunting has enough challenges without people leaving stands and blinds up expecting that you can't hunt that spot.
what in the wild wild world of sports???

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2019, 07:34:01 PM »
I understand some of you hold an ethic that apparently keeps you from even touching something you don't own. I have no problem with that. I just don't see it the same way.

The problem is people DO see it that way, so there is going to be conflict when you touch something that doesn't belong to you.

Depending on the person, it could be a lot of conflict, or it could be just a little bit of conflict.   

Are you a gambling man?

Offline full choke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2019, 07:39:59 PM »
I understand some of you hold an ethic that apparently keeps you from even touching something you don't own. I have no problem with that. I just don't see it the same way.

The problem is people DO see it that way, so there is going to be conflict when you touch something that doesn't belong to you.

Depending on the person, it could be a lot of conflict, or it could be just a little bit of conflict.   

Are you a gambling man?

What if that conflict arises because someone was tired of seeing others leave their trash (stand) laying around?

If you are uncomfortable with someone using your stand (on public ground)- pack it out with you. Seems pretty simple.

There would be no problems...
"If you think our wars over oil are bad, wait until we are fighting over water..."

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2019, 08:02:12 PM »
Who say's I must remove a stand each time I'm done hunting for the day?   Some national forests have rules saying stands must be portable and not damage trees, but no where does it say I must remove it daily, they say if a hunter is on a hunt they they aren't obligated to move camp every 72 hours, the recent rule change freaked out some hunters who make a base camp then hike into a spike camp.

I contend that if I'm using it and intend to use it again then its not abandoned, it is still my property until it is lawfully seized as abandoned, which you do not have that authority. 

You have no authority to say what is or isn't abandoned. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal