collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ethics of using someone else's treestand?  (Read 26064 times)

Offline meatwhack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Ethics of using someone else's treestand?
« Reply #105 on: June 27, 2019, 05:03:34 AM »
I’ve got a question for the guys hanging multiple stands and leaving them or even just a single stand. Would you be just as upset if someone was sitting at the base of the tree your stand is in as if they were actually in it and also would you expect them to move if you showed up.

Offline meatwhack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #107 on: June 27, 2019, 05:39:29 AM »
I’ve got a question for the guys hanging multiple stands and leaving them or even just a single stand. Would you be just as upset if someone was sitting at the base of the tree your stand is in as if they were actually in it and also would you expect them to move if you showed up.

I addressed this very directly in an earlier post but I'm also curious why you ask?
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #108 on: June 27, 2019, 05:52:34 AM »
pretty sure under the new bait laws you cannot set up within 200 yards of someones bait site

Offline Odell

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
« Reply #109 on: June 27, 2019, 05:53:52 AM »
On national forest the rule is actually not to be left unattended. So is it ethical for someone to not follow that rule by leaving a stand up to try and save their hunting spot on public land.

Source?
You can find it on the usda website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

each national forest has its own rules set by the director for that region, the Colville national forest has no specific rule on tree stands or salt licks or bait or ground blinds, yet if you go to another national forest page they may have rules that say it must not be abandoned, but they do not quantify what abandoned means. 
There is no set time limit to when an item becomes "abandoned", and besides you do not have the authority to declare a thing abandoned.

The ones i have read specifically quantified it as ‘not in your possession’ meaning if you leave it in the tree after hunting you have broken the rules.

what in the wild wild world of sports???

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #110 on: June 27, 2019, 07:04:08 AM »
I'd climb in my stand, not my fault they think its raining later when I eventually gotta :pee:

Seriously though, this is a dumb question, no ones gonna park their butt at the base of a tree I got a stand in. Why would they?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #111 on: June 27, 2019, 07:44:23 AM »
On national forest the rule is actually not to be left unattended. So is it ethical for someone to not follow that rule by leaving a stand up to try and save their hunting spot on public land.

Source?
You can find it on the usda website.

each national forest has its own rules set by the director for that region, the Colville national forest has no specific rule on tree stands or salt licks or bait or ground blinds, yet if you go to another national forest page they may have rules that say it must not be abandoned, but they do not quantify what abandoned means. 
There is no set time limit to when an item becomes "abandoned", and besides you do not have the authority to declare a thing abandoned.

The ones i have read specifically quantified it as ‘not in your possession’ meaning if you leave it in the tree after hunting you have broken the rules.
Ugh

Possession has several meanings.  Ex: possession limits for fish, how many you may have in your freezer.....but since your on vacation for 2 weeks away from your freezer..... according to this logic they are not in your possession.   :dunno:
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline Griiz

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #112 on: June 27, 2019, 07:51:42 AM »

Nope, I don’t own the land.

Offline Griiz

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #113 on: June 27, 2019, 08:01:21 AM »
This whole thing is weird. How about don’t leave stuff on public land? Using a stand or blind is not the same thing as using a bike or tent. By leaving a stand you are taking a spot someone else could be hunting. Sometimes there is only one good spot for a stand. Why should one person be able to claim it for themselves?

I guess I should be able to hop in your truck and use it since you left it parked on public land too.

I understand the situation with public land and different ethics. I don’t put my stands where other people usually go. I do research in the woods and hunt pockets that others usually don’t, but have had hunters follow me to see where I hunt as they see my animals come out and then race me to my stands. If you think that is ok, than I don’t know what to say.

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #114 on: June 27, 2019, 08:07:06 AM »
I'm gonna say first come first served ,just like anything else on public land .Firewood,berrys,hunting spots.Its all first come first serve ,by putting a tree stand or game cam there you have made it public property.That's why there is a need to chain it or lock box.Of you don't lock it or secure it in some way I dont see it as personal property any more..

Now with said if you can't afford to lose it don't put it on public property.I do have unsecured game cams , but I use cheap 30 dollar ones on public land .My more expensive ones are in homade lock boxes.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline full choke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #115 on: June 27, 2019, 08:09:04 AM »
I'd climb in my stand, not my fault they think its raining later when I eventually gotta :pee:

Seriously though, this is a dumb question, no ones gonna park their butt at the base of a tree I got a stand in. Why would they?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

That question was already answered to a degree. And seems to be a pretty plausible scenario.
What if your stand was a on a wallow. Due to wind, the only available place to be was the tree your stand was in. You were not there- maybe haven't been for days/weeks, but another hunter was- and wanted to hunt that wallow.
Huntwa has established that the man who left his personal property in the woods for however long is clearly in the right- so the new hunter has no choice but to sit at the base of the tree.
Along comes the stand owner- and he is upset that someone is hunting "his" wallow, under "his" stand-so he climbs up the tree and pee's on him.

"If you think our wars over oil are bad, wait until we are fighting over water..."

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #116 on: June 27, 2019, 08:22:23 AM »
I dont stand hunt and I dont run trail cams.i was raised to respect others, their property, and respect hard work. I was taught that you dont plop down next to someone and cast a line when fishing and if you encounter another hunter you give them a wide birth.

If I stumble on a cam, I spin on my heels and circle it as to not contaminate the site. If I see a stand I do the same thing. It's not mine, I didnt put in the work to earn the money to purchase the gear, I didnt put in the work to get it there, and I didnt put in the work to maintain it.

This whole "its public land so I have the right" crap is such a lame argument for just being a greedy as*ho**.  Put in your own work and put in your own time, dont leech off of others. I demand better from my fellow sportsmen :twocents:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #117 on: June 27, 2019, 08:23:59 AM »

If you were the guy sitting at the base of a tree with someone else’s stand in it, and the stand owner showed up, climbed into his stand, and sat there to hunt. Would you be upset??
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline meatwhack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #118 on: June 27, 2019, 08:37:55 AM »

If you were the guy sitting at the base of a tree with someone else’s stand in it, and the stand owner showed up, climbed into his stand, and sat there to hunt. Would you be upset??

I’d say I had more right to be there if I showed up first that day over someone who hung a stand months or years ago but I’m sure some won’t agree with that. Just like a fishing spot. If I go set a lawn chair on the bank somewhere before the season opens does that mean nobody should fish within 100’ of it even if I’m not there or if I show up they should leave because I marked my spot with a lawn chair.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #119 on: June 27, 2019, 08:45:22 AM »

I’d say I had more right to be there if I showed up first that day over someone who hung a stand months or years ago but I’m sure some won’t agree with that. Just like a fishing spot. If I go set a lawn chair on the bank somewhere before the season opens does that mean nobody should fish within 100’ of it even if I’m not there or if I show up they should leave because I marked my spot with a lawn chair.

Public land, first come, first serve. That's the chance you take when you put up your stand. This is especially true if I've been scouting that spot for months and all of a sudden, a stand appears. Just leaving your private property on public land doesn't give you rights over anyone else.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal