collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ethics of using someone else's treestand?  (Read 26027 times)

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
Re: Ethics of using someone else's treestand?
« Reply #120 on: June 27, 2019, 09:16:13 AM »

I’ve got a question for the guys hanging multiple stands and leaving them or even just a single stand. Would you be just as upset if someone was sitting at the base of the tree your stand is in as if they were actually in it and also would you expect them to move if you showed up.

If you were the guy sitting at the base of a tree with someone else’s stand in it, and the stand owner showed up, climbed into his stand, and sat there to hunt. Would you be upset??

I’d say I had more right to be there if I showed up first that day over someone who hung a stand months or years ago but I’m sure some won’t agree with that. Just like a fishing spot. If I go set a lawn chair on the bank somewhere before the season opens does that mean nobody should fish within 100’ of it even if I’m not there or if I show up they should leave because I marked my spot with a lawn chair.

Public land, first come, first serve. That's the chance you take when you put up your stand. This is especially true if I've been scouting that spot for months and all of a sudden, a stand appears. Just leaving your private property on public land doesn't give you rights over anyone else.

Nor does being there first according to some. It’s public land, why does the guy on the ground have more “rights” than the 2nd guy who climbed above him?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 09:21:49 AM by NOCK NOCK »
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #121 on: June 27, 2019, 09:25:38 AM »
He's molesting the hunt of the first guy there and could be tagged for hunter harassment.  :dunno:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline SuperX

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #122 on: June 27, 2019, 09:28:27 AM »
welcome to combat hunting, where might makes right.

Offline bigdub257

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF;Ducks Unlimited
« Reply #123 on: June 27, 2019, 09:31:13 AM »
I’ve got a question for the guys hanging multiple stands and leaving them or even just a single stand. Would you be just as upset if someone was sitting at the base of the tree your stand is in as if they were actually in it and also would you expect them to move if you showed up.

If you were the guy sitting at the base of a tree with someone else’s stand in it, and the stand owner showed up, climbed into his stand, and sat there to hunt. Would you be upset??

I’d say I had more right to be there if I showed up first that day over someone who hung a stand months or years ago but I’m sure some won’t agree with that. Just like a fishing spot. If I go set a lawn chair on the bank somewhere before the season opens does that mean nobody should fish within 100’ of it even if I’m not there or if I show up they should leave because I marked my spot with a lawn chair.

And what about the duck blind scenario on public land?  Considerable effort and purchased materials can be used by an individual or several individuals over the course time.  Does this give any of these individuals the right to 'claim' this blind and expect others not to use it or the general vicinity in which it's located?  The general consensus from what I've read and experienced seems to be a duck blind is first come first serve on public land.  Why is a tree stand or ground blind any different? I respect the space of others when doing any kind of hunting be it upland, waterfowl, deer or elk and like most prefer to steer clear of other hunters.  I certainly wouldn't expect any sense of entitlement to an area or 'spot' if I constructed or placed any kind of blind or stand on public property:twocents:

Offline Odell

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
« Reply #124 on: June 27, 2019, 09:31:28 AM »
I dont stand hunt and I dont run trail cams.i was raised to respect others, their property, and respect hard work. I was taught that you dont plop down next to someone and cast a line when fishing and if you encounter another hunter you give them a wide birth.

If I stumble on a cam, I spin on my heels and circle it as to not contaminate the site. If I see a stand I do the same thing. It's not mine, I didnt put in the work to earn the money to purchase the gear, I didnt put in the work to get it there, and I didnt put in the work to maintain it.

This whole "its public land so I have the right" crap is such a lame argument for just being a greedy as*ho**.  Put in your own work and put in your own time, dont leech off of others. I demand better from my fellow sportsmen :twocents:

I don't run cameras or stands. I once found a tree stand put up on a wallow I have hunted before. Someone else found a spot I like to hunt and put a stand up. Is it now off limits to me because someone else found it too and put a camera and stand there?
what in the wild wild world of sports???

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #125 on: June 27, 2019, 09:37:29 AM »
Not imo, you want the spot, get to your stand early. I don't know if or when you are hunting. Public ground is public ground. I won't sit in the stand but i would hunt the area.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #126 on: June 27, 2019, 09:43:53 AM »

What about 1st come, 1st serve do you have a problem with? Just because someone put a stand there on public land doesn't mean 1. they're going to be using it, and 2. They have a right to lock down that land.

I know many hunters who have multiple tree stands, but of course can only use one at a time. Let's say I have 5 tree stands over 5 wallows. Does that mean I have exclusive rights to all of those locations to the detriment of every other hunter? If you don't like the rules of public land hunting, find some private land where you can be exclusive. The same goes for trailcams. I know hunters who have 10-20 trailcams out. If I pick a hunting spot and find a trail cam there, am I supposed to yield to someone who may never come in? Does setting that cam give them ownership of that spot if they're not there first? It does not.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline SuperX

• Longhunter
« Reply #127 on: June 27, 2019, 09:48:59 AM »

What about 1st come, 1st serve do you have a problem with? Just because someone put a stand there on public land doesn't mean 1. they're going to be using it, and 2. They have a right to lock down that land.

I know many hunters who have multiple tree stands, but of course can only use one at a time. Let's say I have 5 tree stands over 5 wallows. Does that mean I have exclusive rights to all of those locations to the detriment of every other hunter? If you don't like the rules of public land hunting, find some private land where you can be exclusive. The same goes for trailcams. I know hunters who have 10-20 trailcams out. If I pick a hunting spot and find a trail cam there, am I supposed to yield to someone who may never come in? Does setting that cam give them ownership of that spot if they're not there first? It does not.
I  have no problem with FCFS, it's those who say 'it's public land, why is the first guy getting all the rights, I'm here now, so I'll hunt wherever I want to' that I see as the problem.  When we stop following FCFS we have combat hunting/fishing/camping when the 2nd comers all claim they have equal rights to the first comer's ground they're standing on.  They're technically right and we've all had situations where some late arrival sets up right on top of you and ruins your day but there's nothing you can do unless you want to get into a fight.

Of course you don't have to leave if there's a cam there - but they don't have to leave if you're there.  It sucks that ethics in the woods means nothing to so many.  In my experience, the bigger the party the less the individual's claim means.  Of course it is the same problem when you're walking an unimproved road and a quad rips by you because they can.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #128 on: June 27, 2019, 09:52:22 AM »
Agreed. The 2nd comers who stay suck.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #129 on: June 27, 2019, 09:54:26 AM »
The title of the thread is ethics. Ethics and legality are two completely different things.

Ethically you shouldn't shoot a sow with cubs, legally you can.

I keep coming back to the duck blind rule, if no one is in it is fair game but legality is not what this thread is about.

For the record I wouldn't sit in someone else's duck blind, ground blind or tree stand.

Again this thread is about ethics not legality.

Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Odell

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
« Reply #130 on: June 27, 2019, 09:57:40 AM »

I  have no problem with FCFS, it's those who say 'it's public land, why is the first guy getting all the rights, I'm here now, so I'll hunt wherever I want to' that I see as the problem.  When we stop following FCFS we have combat hunting/fishing/camping when the 2nd comers all claim they have equal rights to the first comer's ground they're standing on.  They're technically right and we've all had situations where some late arrival sets up right on top of you and ruins your day but there's nothing you can do unless you want to get into a fight.

Of course you don't have to leave if there's a cam there - but they don't have to leave if you're there.  It sucks that ethics in the woods means nothing to so many.  In my experience, the bigger the party the less the individual's claim means.  Of course it is the same problem when you're walking an unimproved road and a quad rips by you because they can.

By 'second-comer' do you guys mean second to the spot, because the stand and camera are there first? Or do you mean if someone is in there hunting? If someone is hunting an area you should give them room, I've been talking about stands and cameras left out
what in the wild wild world of sports???

Offline SuperX

• Longhunter
« Reply #131 on: June 27, 2019, 10:01:05 AM »

By 'second-comer' do you guys mean second to the spot, because the stand and camera are there first? Or do you mean if someone is in there hunting? If someone is hunting an area you should give them room, I've been talking about stands and cameras left out
Cams stands don't mean someone is 'there', only that they left their stuff there.  2nd comers can be the ones who left the stuff or just another hunter who decides to hunt right on top of you.  If they do it because they don't recognize first come first served, is it ethical?  If the stand owner climbs right over you to sit their stand because 'it's my spot, that's my stuff', is that ethical?

Offline WildlifeAssassin

• Past Sponsor
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #132 on: June 27, 2019, 10:02:27 AM »
Each scenario is a little different but to all the guys equating it to wearing boxers or claiming trucks your analogies are weak. Sitting on someone’s stand on public land isn’t stealing or “claiming” it does you no harm other than you don’t get to hunt “your spot” on public land. The stand it’s self remains your property and if you show up you have every right to ask them to get down but you have no rights over the land it’s self. I personally don’t stand hunt or climb others stands but on public land some of you guys need to check your egos.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #133 on: June 27, 2019, 10:07:43 AM »

2nd guy to the spot, regardless of whether there's a stand or cam.

Offline smithkl42

• Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/smithkl42/
    • Would-BeTheologian
« Reply #134 on: June 27, 2019, 10:10:53 AM »
I'm curious if anybody has ever come across someone sitting in their stand. How did you respond? How did the other hunter?

A friend of mine said that he once came across a hunter in one of his ladder stands on state land. The other guy immediately climbed down, but was so friendly (and abashed) that my friend told him to stay there, and moved on to another one of his stands.

Not how it will always go down, of course, but it seems like that's a pretty good outcome.
"Marriage is a duel to the death, which no man of honor should decline." - GKC

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand