collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ethics of using someone else's treestand?  (Read 26065 times)

Offline Odell

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
Re: Ethics of using someone else's treestand?
« Reply #165 on: June 27, 2019, 05:01:51 PM »
Go to Idaho and sit on someones bear bait see what happens.  I from an era where I ran bear bait in WA.  Deer is the same thing.

Are you so entitled that you have to have 100% access to all the public land.... that you couldn't honor a guys hunt in one little hidey hole?

Or do you suck so bad at hunting you have to find an area someone has done all the work already so you poach his efforts?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Threat of violence. Mockery. But yeah, you're a real nice guy and not a bully.

Why can't you honor the hidey hole of all the guys who hunted there before you dropped garbage in the woods and put a stand up? You think you are the first person to find that spot? Are you so entitled that you think dropping bait and hanging a stand means you own the land and the animals?

Again for the record, I've never hunted from a tree stand ever. Not mine and not anyone else's. I've never hunted over bait except once on a feeder on private land in the south. But I won't let those who do, dictate who gets to hunt where on public land.

It's not like anyone is going into the woods trying to find your setup, we are going into the woods to find an animal. You happened to leave some stuff there and thats not my fault. 
what in the wild wild world of sports???

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #166 on: June 27, 2019, 05:03:09 PM »
And another thing, if im in the theater with empty seats around me its because my girls are peeing, you aint getting those seats.

Offline Odell

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
« Reply #167 on: June 27, 2019, 05:04:17 PM »
And another thing, if im in the theater with empty seats around me its because my girls are peeing, you aint getting those seats.

Couple seats no big deal. The whole row with one jacket at a general admission concert and we might have words.
what in the wild wild world of sports???

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #168 on: June 27, 2019, 05:09:20 PM »
Go to Idaho and sit on someones bear bait see what happens.  I from an era where I ran bear bait in WA.  Deer is the same thing.

Are you so entitled that you have to have 100% access to all the public land.... that you couldn't honor a guys hunt in one little hidey hole?

Or do you suck so bad at hunting you have to find an area someone has done all the work already so you poach his efforts?

Threat of violence. Mockery. But yeah, you're a real nice guy and not a bully.

Why can't you honor the hidey hole of all the guys who hunted there before you dropped garbage in the woods and put a stand up? You think you are the first person to find that spot? Are you so entitled that you think dropping bait and hanging a stand means you own the land and the animals?

Again for the record, I've never hunted from a tree stand ever. Not mine and not anyone else's. I've never hunted over bait except once on a feeder on private land in the south. But I won't let those who do, dictate who gets to hunt where on public land.

It's not like anyone is going into the woods trying to find your setup, we are going into the woods to find an animal. You happened to leave some stuff there and thats not my fault.
You said hypothetically. I never threaten anyone but I know guys who would. I dont hunt over bait, I use minerals to inventory animals. I rarely hang a stand and if I do its usually a climber. Most of my deer are rattled in and im on the ground in the brush in a small opening, or I spot and stalk.  You asked for my ethics, those are them if I were a tree stand hunter...so I honor them how I would expect to be honored, which has been the basis of my debate here.

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #169 on: July 18, 2019, 11:28:18 PM »
I'm gonna say first come first served ,just like anything else on public land .Firewood,berrys,hunting spots.Its all first come first serve ,by putting a tree stand or game cam there you have made it public property.That's why there is a need to chain it or lock box.Of you don't lock it or secure it in some way I dont see it as personal property any more..

Now with said if you can't afford to lose it don't put it on public property.I do have unsecured game cams , but I use cheap 30 dollar ones on public land .My more expensive ones are in homade lock boxes.

Looking forward to finding your tent, truck, trailer, etc... on public land.  You better never beach your boat and walk into the woods to take a dump because at that point, according to you, it's fair game.

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #170 on: July 19, 2019, 03:07:36 AM »
Heres a good example of hunter ethics.  Date is wrong, actually 6/6/19.  These idiots putting a camera up at my mineral site where i already had 2 cameras.  They put their cam on a tree 2 feet away from the tree one of my cams was on.  I mean come on.  Yeah its public land, but still a complete *censored*bag move.  If this is you, you suck.

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #171 on: July 19, 2019, 05:35:32 AM »
Oh she looks like a real peach !!!

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #172 on: July 19, 2019, 06:02:39 AM »
I'm gonna say first come first served ,just like anything else on public land .Firewood,berrys,hunting spots.Its all first come first serve ,by putting a tree stand or game cam there you have made it public property.That's why there is a need to chain it or lock box.Of you don't lock it or secure it in some way I dont see it as personal property any more..

Now with said if you can't afford to lose it don't put it on public property.I do have unsecured game cams , but I use cheap 30 dollar ones on public land .My more expensive ones are in homade lock boxes.

Looking forward to finding your tent, truck, trailer, etc... on public land.  You better never beach your boat and walk into the woods to take a dump because at that point, according to you, it's fair game.
Like I said if it's locked up leave it be.
If I catch u breaking into my locked up truck ,trailer,or anything that's locked up we gonna have major problems.

I'm sorry to tell ya but most of the things u listed you will steal have titles that make them my personal property.

So I guess the way you think you can drop some change out of your pocket while sitting on a stump hunting and nobody should pick it up after you have been gone for a year.
What's next you own all the sheds that are dropped on public land within a few hundred yards of your stand or trail cam.
What a joke.

There are lots of ethics you can debate all day but nothing gonna change.
Motorized vehicles behind closed gates is one that pisses me off the most.

People and there tree stands trail cams that think because they put something there that it reserves the spot for them.

People that park there truck at the beginning of a public road that think they can block off access.

All this boils down to somebody thinking there entitled to a piece of public land that is for EVERYBODY.

With all that said I have never messed with anybody's property on public land and don't ever intend too.And most times I see someone I turn and hunt the other direction.But that type of respect is long gone with most hunters these days.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 06:37:43 AM by hunter399 »
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #173 on: July 19, 2019, 06:07:50 AM »
Heres a good example of hunter ethics.  Date is wrong, actually 6/6/19.  These idiots putting a camera up at my mineral site where i already had 2 cameras.  They put their cam on a tree 2 feet away from the tree one of my cams was on.  I mean come on.  Yeah its public land, but still a complete *censored*bag move.  If this is you, you suck.
I know it sucks but you can't expect much from
People on public land. The since of respect is long gone years ago .This stuff does not surprise me , and should just be expected.
You have to get over it,and deal with it.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline donsk16

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Tracker
« Reply #174 on: July 19, 2019, 07:57:18 AM »

You run 30 cameras and you think that others shouldn't be able to share those 30 locations on public land?

We complain when others check our cameras (understandably).  Then we complain when they actually get their own gear and leave our stuff alone?

I don't get how putting a camera up makes anyone think they own or have exclusive access to 30+ spots year round on public land.

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #175 on: July 19, 2019, 08:31:26 AM »

You run 30 cameras and you think that others shouldn't be able to share those 30 locations on public land?

We complain when others check our cameras (understandably).  Then we complain when they actually get their own gear and leave our stuff alone?

I don't get how putting a camera up makes anyone think they own or have exclusive access to 30+ spots year round on public land.
:yeah:

cameras are just that.. if hunter is parked there setup hunting then move on .. if no, then cameral are not stake claims for reserved hunting . this is still public and you don't get "dibs" on areas with a camera.. or 20... reminds me of the campsite with a cheap tent before season thread....

As far as tree stands same principle applies (imo) if i am hunting there first, i wouldn't use someones hung stand but if they show up i don't leave.. public land first come first serve.. again, not a reservation prop to hang a stand...
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #176 on: July 19, 2019, 08:34:18 AM »
I think it's different if you have an established attractant there but that might just be me. I have a difficult time hunting when I know other folks are around so when someone else has signs of activity around I head somewhere else.

Offline rainshadow1

• RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
  • Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • Custom Calls and Knives
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
« Reply #177 on: July 19, 2019, 12:11:08 PM »
Ethics bounce off of legality. (And in an exceedingly slow process, legality eventually can and often does bounce off of ethics...)

There are laws about bothering somebody's truck. You can't strap a truck on your back and carry it with you. They had to write laws about it. The analogy is worthless.

The tablecloth on the picnic table is far more appropriate.

The legality of leaving a stand (on national forest property for example) is clearly violated if you leave it to go have lunch. The ethic? Personally interpreted. Often a lot less stringent than that, depending on your sportsmanship and character.

Climb the long empty stand and use it as abandoned property? Also personal, imho. Legally, you should be leaving it alone and reporting it. Ethically? Do unto others? Situational. Also personal.

On the flip side is the discussion about "saving the spot." Legally? No ground (or tree) to stand on. FCFS on public land, no matter the time or money invested. No matter the gear you illegally left there. No questions about it.

Ethically? Well, apply "do unto others" to the thought of someone ELSE "claiming" a spot that you still hunted into? You're the stillhunter, and you stalk into a great spot to sit for awhile, and you see someone's "abandoned" equipment... How do you feel? (Remember, you're the guy abandoning equipment, trying to put yourself into the shoes of the guy spending the day sneaking across the mountainside.) He broke the law by abandoning the gear there on public land. Do you feel he's doing right by implying you should leave because he has time and money invested? Weather you choose to avoid the spot or not... is it right?

Seems to me you have to color ethical decisions with the existing laws and rules.

Me personally, I won't climb somebody's equipment, nor will I bother to report it... But I'll sit in a good spot I snuck across, I'll ignore your "unattended investment" and sit. That's the way you play on public land.  You show up, we'll have a good conversation, and decide together what to do to give ourselves the best chance to not blow out the area.
- - Steve
View and Purchase/Order Custom Calls!
Cougar Hunters!!! Check out Calling Products and Call-In Stories!
View the Blade Gallery, & Purchase/Order a Custom Knife!
 www.rain-shadow.com

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives on Facebook

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #178 on: July 19, 2019, 12:26:53 PM »
The legality of leaving a stand (on national forest property for example) is clearly violated if you leave it to go have lunch.

source?

Offline rainshadow1

• Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • Custom Calls and Knives
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
« Reply #179 on: July 19, 2019, 01:06:43 PM »
The legality of leaving a stand (on national forest property for example) is clearly violated if you leave it to go have lunch.

source?

Somebody in this thread already linked the consumer version of it on the fs usda website.
- - Steve
View and Purchase/Order Custom Calls!
Cougar Hunters!!! Check out Calling Products and Call-In Stories!
View the Blade Gallery, & Purchase/Order a Custom Knife!
 www.rain-shadow.com

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives on Facebook

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal