collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ethics of using someone else's treestand?  (Read 26032 times)

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: Ethics of using someone else's treestand?
« Reply #180 on: July 19, 2019, 01:08:11 PM »
different forests have different rules, some more heavily used forests have stricter abandonment rules than other less used forests. 

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #181 on: July 19, 2019, 01:32:25 PM »
Man...mind blown..way to much drama for me.

This is exactly why I hunt where very few people are willing to go.  If I see any sign that someone has been in an area I move deeper and darker...

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #182 on: July 19, 2019, 02:55:07 PM »
Oh she looks like a real peach !!!

Well she's wearing a Cowboy's jacket soooooo.... yeah.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #183 on: July 19, 2019, 03:09:03 PM »
I don't get it, what are the odds someone would take over this completely random spot?  Is it at the end of a road?  They obviously didn't hike for miles,  what is the guy dumping? 

Was this an old unused spot you started back up?   I found a spot that looks like someone had used years and years ago and reclaimed it, hole licked out of the ground. 

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #184 on: July 19, 2019, 03:16:08 PM »
It is very near a trail, super easy access.  Thats why i chose it, im looking for spots to hang treestands at low elevation easy access just in case we get a bad early winter and im snowed out of my usual areas.  Its not an old mineral site, i just started it 10 days before they showed up.  Minerals obviously new, anybody with 2 brain cells to rub together could see it was new minerals, not overwintered left overs.  He dumped more salt on it, then hung his camera right next to mine, pointed at my minerals. 
  And no i dont think i own the area, obviously people can hunt it, but i dont care what these cry babies on here say, intentionally setting a cam on somebody elses mineral site is a dick move, period.  Theres millions of acres of public land to hunt there, go put your own mineral site somewhere.
  Its also really stupid to set up on somebody elses site, because obviously people wont be happy about it, and i think a lot of guys in my position would have destroyed or stolen their camera.  Theyre lucky thats not how i do things.  I pulled my cams and left them a little love note.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #185 on: July 19, 2019, 04:04:42 PM »
It is very near a trail, super easy access.  Thats why i chose it, im looking for spots to hang treestands at low elevation easy access just in case we get a bad early winter and im snowed out of my usual areas.  Its not an old mineral site, i just started it 10 days before they showed up.  Minerals obviously new, anybody with 2 brain cells to rub together could see it was new minerals, not overwintered left overs.  He dumped more salt on it, then hung his camera right next to mine, pointed at my minerals. 
  And no i dont think i own the area, obviously people can hunt it, but i dont care what these cry babies on here say, intentionally setting a cam on somebody elses mineral site is a dick move, period.  Theres millions of acres of public land to hunt there, go put your own mineral site somewhere.
  Its also really stupid to set up on somebody elses site, because obviously people wont be happy about it, and i think a lot of guys in my position would have destroyed or stolen their camera.  Theyre lucky thats not how i do things.  I pulled my cams and left them a little love note.
I know the feeling had a few cam-bait spots that got hunted once deer season started.It sucks knowing you put in all the time, money,effort,to have somebody show up at seasons start.But remember that feeling cause public land will do that to ya, a lesson learned at least for me it was.
I did the same as you did I pull my cam and abandoned that area.I still hunt there from time to time ,i just don't put no money in it.
Which in the long run just kinda hurts the deer that don't get my salt and food .The Hunter that got greedy is not gonna feed deer april-october.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #186 on: July 19, 2019, 04:36:52 PM »

100%

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #187 on: July 19, 2019, 05:01:05 PM »
1000000%  :yeah:
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline Billy74

• Scout
« Reply #188 on: July 19, 2019, 05:57:15 PM »
Im new to all this but feel pretty strongly that a tree stand is private property and clearly meant to be put up ahead of time.  Wouldn’t touch it.  If i find it ahead of time scouting and the spots good I’m gonna try and get there first.  Not under it but that area.  If he’s first ill pick another spot.  Thats why i scout multiple spots.  And if they come second and don’t relent, ill probably bail.  We could argue over it and kill a good morning hunt or i could salvage the day and move on.  But to the point, i think the tree-stand is property and i wouldn’t use it.  It wouldn’t be like borrowing a truck but more like sitting in it if it was unlocked.  It also increases the chance for conflict i could easily avoid.  But the land is fair game.  That being said if i come across a brushed in stack of logs ill use that and if the builder (not owner) shows up ill move on.  Not so much because of ethics but its just not worth the conflict.  I figure a guy who’s gonna get angry and put up a fight over piled up sticks   and has a rifle or sidearm and i don’t know anything about him isn’t the person or place i want to settle a dispute with. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Billy74

• Scout
« Reply #189 on: July 19, 2019, 06:02:19 PM »
Also, i don’t know much about tree stands but if your climbing a stand you run across does that mean you have you harness with you, implying you came prepared to climb that stand.  I suppose it doesn’t change the nature of the question on ethics.  Just seems like if that was the case you would just take the time to hang your own.   

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #190 on: July 19, 2019, 06:20:18 PM »
I find someone in a stand I hung, I'm leaving with my stand.

They can hunt where they like, just not in my stand.

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #191 on: July 19, 2019, 06:22:59 PM »
I find someone in a stand I hung, I'm leaving with my stand.

They can hunt where they like, just not in my stand.

If they dont want to get out of the stand, thats okay.  Just leave with the ladder.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #192 on: July 19, 2019, 06:30:59 PM »
I don't leave ladders,  I use lone wolf climbing sticks and take em home.

What I been doing is using 2 or 3 sections of climbing sticks, then screw in steps once I get a ways up the tree

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
« Reply #193 on: July 19, 2019, 06:35:33 PM »
This is like ‘borrowing’ someone’s truck because it’s parked in the woods. Monetary value means nothing whether it’s a car or a stand. Or checking someone’s cams. They’re NOT mine. If you have to pose the question, kinda makes me nervous. What part of the state do you hunt so I can make sure to not have stands there😂 I also won’t hunt a stand without my safety gear, which I’m only packing when I’m stand hunting my own stands. Very easy pass for me

Offline Billy74

• Scout
« Reply #194 on: July 19, 2019, 06:51:24 PM »
This is like ‘borrowing’ someone’s truck because it’s parked in the woods. Monetary value means nothing whether it’s a car or a stand. Or checking someone’s cams. They’re NOT mine. If you have to pose the question, kinda makes me nervous. What part of the state do you hunt so I can make sure to not have stands there😂 I also won’t hunt a stand without my safety gear, which I’m only packing when I’m stand hunting my own stands. Very easy pass for me
My line of thinking was if you took the tree stand down and moved it to a different spot to suit your needs then that would be like getting and driving a parked truck to a different spot.  Using either to suit your need.  Sitting in and stand and sitting in a truck but leaving both and not altering how you found it or where they are is a closer analogy.  Either way I’m against it and can admit its kind of a mute and nit-picky point.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull