collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ethics of using someone else's treestand?  (Read 26075 times)

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Ethics of using someone else's treestand?
« Reply #195 on: July 19, 2019, 09:05:46 PM »
You all seemed to pretty much work out all your feelings on this one.   

Last time I looked at the regs for public land and tree stands, they state that it is acceptable to put up tree stands if you don't harm the trees.  They are very specific on this subject.  Also, they state that if you leave them after you are done hunting, then anyone else desiring to do so can use them.  I don't understand how you can try to twist the rules based on your "ethics".  It is what it is, and you should not attempt to twist the rules to fit your interpretation or personal values.  They laws do not state that if you leave your truck at the gate, anyone can drive it, so why does this argument keep coming up?  There is no provision in the laws allowing for the use personal items left at public camping areas and parking areas to be use by others once unattended.  If the law makers wanted that, they would have written that into the public lands rules. They didn't, but as we know, they did provide specific rules governing tree stands on public land.  How can you even argue the point?

RE: Someone hanging cams over your mineral site?   Perhaps they are not hunters.  Maybe they just like photos of wildlife?  Mineral dumps on public lands come at a cost to the soils and the health of the surrounding trees and plants.  Supersaturating the soils with mineral salts, well above normal levels is detrimental and ill advised.  If you want to do that on your own land, that is your prerogative.  On public land, I would recommend caution and consideration for the health of the environment. 

Lastly, do we really need to make fun of the woman in the cam picture?  Regardless of what they are doing, they look like they are not breaking laws, nor do they appear to be well outside societal norms for a day in the woods.  Let's try the high road on this one......

“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #196 on: July 19, 2019, 09:24:26 PM »
some people say "hunting" means actually in the act of legally hunting, go back to camp for a sammich or restroom deposit, and you aren't hunting, therefore you've abandoned your tree stand and its fair game to use

others take the position that "hunting" means the duration of the 'hunt', could be a few days/week but if you're camping and hunting returning to the stand daily, its not abandoned

others take the position that the stand is good for a full season of "hunting" and isn't abandoned unless left all winter/spring/summer when theres no seasons.

others say as long as its not a permanently built stand (lumber and nails)  meant to be left, its still private property stay off

There's a lot of room to interpret things, thus its an ethics decision.

As for minerals supersaturating the soil and harming wildlife I point you to QDMA and other research, do some reading on how beneficial it can be when done right, how it helps prevent disease and boosts immunity in deer and other wildlife.  Its not just about growing big horn, but it help with healthy fawns that can better evade predators.  There's a lot to it!

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #197 on: July 19, 2019, 11:45:36 PM »
You all seemed to pretty much work out all your feelings on this one.   

Last time I looked at the regs for public land and tree stands, they state that it is acceptable to put up tree stands if you don't harm the trees.  They are very specific on this subject.  Also, they state that if you leave them after you are done hunting, then anyone else desiring to do so can use them.  I don't understand how you can try to twist the rules based on your "ethics".  It is what it is, and you should not attempt to twist the rules to fit your interpretation or personal values.  They laws do not state that if you leave your truck at the gate, anyone can drive it, so why does this argument keep coming up?  There is no provision in the laws allowing for the use personal items left at public camping areas and parking areas to be use by others once unattended.  If the law makers wanted that, they would have written that into the public lands rules. They didn't, but as we know, they did provide specific rules governing tree stands on public land.  How can you even argue the point?

RE: Someone hanging cams over your mineral site?   Perhaps they are not hunters.  Maybe they just like photos of wildlife?  Mineral dumps on public lands come at a cost to the soils and the health of the surrounding trees and plants.  Supersaturating the soils with mineral salts, well above normal levels is detrimental and ill advised.  If you want to do that on your own land, that is your prerogative.  On public land, I would recommend caution and consideration for the health of the environment. 

Lastly, do we really need to make fun of the woman in the cam picture?  Regardless of what they are doing, they look like they are not breaking laws, nor do they appear to be well outside societal norms for a day in the woods.  Let's try the high road on this one......
Hope I'm not misunderstanding, but you are arguing what the law is, and most on this thread are arguing this is bad manners. 5 or 6 years ago I found a bear spot that was "cant miss". Im not a stand hunter usually, but day before season I took a stand in to set up on the one tree in bow range. Someone else had a stand on the tree. IMO hunting the ground near it wouldve spread too much scent around. I actually ran into the guy. He ended up killing his first bear. It took me 4 more years. Yes I could've hunted the area. I think i wouldve spoiled the spot for both of us. Yes I was disappointed. A fair amount if work went into finding that spot. But he put in the work also. Seemed like bad manners and if i had hunted that spot, i wouldve ruined both our hunts. To me, there's doing something because I have a right to, and there's being a decent human being.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal